I slipped my right leg out of the bed, breathed in and pulled the bed sheet along to cover me as I stood. I immediately felt unstable. I thought it was my dizziness, but realized the bed sheet was being pulled, making me fall backward on the bed.

His demanding voice graced the room again, but what he said only added to my confusion, "Where do you think you're going?"

I made sure I still had the bed sheet for cover, and I looked up at him exquisitely.

"I'm thankful for your hospitality, but I need to find my crew. You must have met them when you saved me. I'm hoping my ship is still close... I need to find them"

I felt a headache as the memory of what happened with Terry started to rush back to me.

"Aye. They claim to be fishermen. We locked them in the cells. The old man, however – what was his name... Jerry"

"Terry?"

"Doesn't matter. We made him walk the plank"

"Pardon? You made him what?"

"You know, the road of truth"

I frowned and waited for further explanation. He sighed and rolled his eyes in boredom before adding, "The plank we use to send someone to meet their maker. You must know of it, or at least its stories; tied hands and feet, thrown in the sea, unable to swim, and all that. But don't be fooled, it's only fun if there are sharks around. Otherwise, it's just like throwing someone off the deck, so why bother with the plank and the tying. A bit of stabbing might lighten the mood, though"

I listened, stunned by the words and the arrogance that oozed from them, "Y-you killed him? Why...? How could you?"

His left eyebrow rose infinitesimally before adding, "You want him alive? He wanted to kill you, do you remember that, or has the salt cleaned your memory?"

"He's my stepfather!"

"He's a scallywag"

"Do you mean to tell me that you actually- Oh, God... I need to save him"

Stabbing, killing and walking planks... No regard to the laws of civilization. What kind of a person is this?

I must leave this room and find Terry and the crew myself. I must save them if needed and find a way to get the crew to my side and sail back. Despite their betrayal, there're still in my pay, and right now, they're my best chance.

I sat up and went to move when a firm hand grabbed my left arm and pulled me back. I tried to free my arm, but his grip only tightened.

"I understand from my little chat with your stepfather that he's nothing but a greedy thief. You still want him alive?"

"He admitted to that?"

He chuckled and added, "No one resists a walk on the plank. We call it the road of truth for a reason". Then his smile changed into a devious smirk. His face approached mine and his voice lowered and thickened as he threatened, "If you're not respectful and obedient, you might try it yourself."

My eyes widened. Something told me his threats were anything but a jab. He was truly capable of every word he spoke. In what way was I disrespectful? And what did he mean by 'obedience'?

I wanted to ask, but his menacing words frightened me. And they were backed up by the strong grip on my forearm, making me hesitate in my resolve and swallow.

However, the more time I spent here, the less of a chance I had to find my crew. Yes, that was my priority. I won't give this man the satisfaction of my fear. No matter what threats he throws my way, I still need to save my crew!