Goodbye

Alex was back at her house. Damon wanted to take her to his hotel suite but she refused and told him she needed to do something back at home. She was surprised he agreed without a fuss.

More surprising was the fact that Damon only held and rocked her on the ride home. Even as he held her when she was wailing all over his body, he was a tad distant. She could feel it, something was wrong. But it wasn't the right time to talk about it, so she dropped the subject.

When they had dropped her in the house, Damon explained to her that Matt would be outside waiting with the driver if she wished to come over to talk to him. He didn't enforce it; he was giving her an option. This was a whole new Damon, and she didn't know how to feel about it.

She closed the door behind her and walked to the living room. Enzo was supposed to be back because she stayed out earlier than expected. She found Josh on the couch with Enzo on his chest. Josh was unusually dressed, they had no plans to go out today, so she was surprised.

"Hey," he whispered to her, not wanting to wake Enzo.

"Hey, has he been home for long?"

"Not too long. We had a shower and played some games. Now he is passed out." Josh chuckled while looking at Junior.

Alex knew that look. It was the look of love. Josh loves Junior as if he was his own. They became best buddies and did everything together. She did not doubt that Enzo was his world.

"I'm going to put him in bed so we can talk." He carried him upstairs and Alex teared up. This was not going to be an easy conversation. She didn't know what to do. Why was her life complicated like this?

Josh came back and joined her on the couch. She faced him, put her both legs on the couch, and folded them.

"I'm sorry about this morning."

"I know."

"I didn't mean to say all those things. I didn't even know what came over me, I was just-"

"I know." He interrupted again.

"You didn't deserve my outburst and I'm-"

"You miss him, Alex. I know."

She went to him and fell on his body, "You're just the best human being on earth and the best husband of course."

He chuckled. She liked to feel his chest rumble with his laughter. He was just a completely good person, her very own angel.

"Alex?"

"Hmm" She mumbled since her face was still on his chest.

"It is time for me to leave. My bags are already in the car."

She raised her head, "What?"

"He is back, you are safe now. You don't need me anymore."

She wanted to ask how he knew, but it was Josh. He knew things too. "You can't leave, you're part of me. You have me, you have Enzo, what do you want?"

"Let me go."

"Anything but that" Alex knew she was being selfish and if she was honest, she was scared. Scared of facing Damon alone, scared of what the future held without Josh in it, scared that she couldn't do it alone. And most of all, she didn't want to lose Josh.

"You can't leave me, Josh, you're my best friend."

"I am not leaving you baby, but I have to move on."

"What about me, what about Enzo?" She went that low.

"Both of you are the most important people in my life. I will always be a part of your lives. I love you, and I love that pumpkin up there. But it's time to move on. You will be fine. Damon loves you, he will move the earth for you. He is good for you and you will be happy with him, I promise. Now, I have to do something with myself. Maybe go on a retreat in Africa," He smiled, and Alex joined him because it was an inside joke. "Or travel the world. There is still a lot I haven't done. But whatever I do, I will always come back to both of your lives. Just let me go."