Chapter 11

Jackson's POV

I can do this.

It might be hard, but I'm sure I can find a way to win this.

This challenge we've created for ourselves. She doesn't believe I can make her fall for me, but I'm the hottest man she's ever met. It's impossible for her to not fall for me.

Again, challenging, but not impossible.

It's been a few days since this bet or whatever it is, was agreed upon. I haven't figured anything out yet, but I know she's not going to make it easy.

Time is my friend.

And luck seems to be on my side already. Our parents agreed it was time for our first barbecue of the season. These usually become weekly gatherings after that.

My backyard was nicely sized, with a porch and a grill, a small patio and some seating. There was a trail on the side that led to the beach through some bushes.

Living right by the beach meant winters were super cold; the Ashford's basement made up for that. During the warmer months my place was the place.

So, us kids went to the beach while the food was being made. The sun was still in the sky, but slowly setting as time went on.

The wind was quite chilly and no one stepped foot near the water. It may be May, but we all knew the water wasn't exactly the warmest.

Tyler, El, and I were throwing around the football while Em hung out with Ro farther up the sand.

"So, Ty!" I yell as I toss the ball to Elliot.

"What?" he shouts back.

"Anyone you wanna take to prom on Thursday?" I ask.

"I have some options!" he announces.

I'm a little shocked by his response and Elliot's refusal to throw the ball again shows he's just as confused.

"Hold on. Options?" I question as we walk up to him.

"Yeah, multiple girls asked you to the dance?" Elliot points out.

"Is that hard to believe?" Tyler sounds a little offended.

"No, we just wanna know who?" I put my arm around his shoulder.

"Amanda Mooney," he says.

"Isn't that Sabine's girlfriend?" Elliot asks.

"Ex-girlfriend." We both correct him.

"When did they break up?"

"Like, a while ago dude." Tyler answers.

"Yeah, she's talking to Priya now." I add.

His expression widens and I can't help but laugh.

"How do you know that?" he asks me.

"Everybody knows El." I smile.

Elliot rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Back to Tyler-now, who else asked you?"

"Sadie." he shrugs.

"MacIntyre?" I ask for confirmation.

"Yeah." he says nonchalantly.

"You got Sadie MacIntyre to go to prom with you?" Elliot says in disbelief.

"Is that not believable?"

"NO!" Elliot shouts. "Sadie MacIntyre does not attend school events. Nor have I ever seen her talk to a guy from our school."

"I don't know what to tell you El...she asked me." he admits.