~VI~

Alicent was walking towards the chamber where all of her children were in. She had told the guards to lead them there so she could announce to them her plans. She wasn't sure how this was going to be said and what was going to follow. She had made her decision, without her husband, in a moment of panic. There was no way she would let Rhaenyra see her plans taking form. Helaena would not be married to Jacaerys. Neither her loving child, Daela, to Lucerys just because they were close in age. No. Her daughters wouldn't marry two bastards whose father was soon to leave Kingslanding. Her daughters would marry others. Others, around their age, whom she could control and make sure they weren't hurting her daughters just like it had happened to her. She would marry Helaena and Daela to their brothers. It was the best and only way at the moment. In a moment when clarity had been replaced by anger, a strong feeling of injustice and fear.

She knew their mother. Better than everyone and the two boys where so much like her. They were loyal, supporting and filled with determination. Just like their mother when she was their age. But what then? Rhaenyra had easily turned her back on her, she had blamed her for Viserys' will to be his wife. She had stopped hanging out with her. When for everyone she was the Queen, Rhaenyra could see her as Alicent. She could but she didn't stay. She had lied to her. She wasn't trusting her anymore. And then she had gotten married. And despite being at least loyal to her husband, she went and had children with Harwin Strong. If her sons were anything like her they'd be as well unfaithful and unjust to their wives.

When she reached the door she took a breath and entered without knocking. The guards stepped aside to let her pass.

"Please, leave us alone.", she addressed them and they left following her orders after bowing from respect.

"What is it mother?", Aegon asked from the window where he had rested his back and was looking indifferent inside the room.

"Mother! I wanted to talk to you." Daela said contrasting her brother's mood.

"Whatever you wanted to say to me Daela can wait. This is more important.", She looked each of them for a while then nodded to herself. That's was no way back now. "I've decided that it's time I betrothed you."

"Mother!", Aegon smiled widely and straightened his posture with pride, "Yes, I can't wait to have ladies from the seven kingdoms trying to get my attention."

Aemond shook his head disappointed.

"You won't have them..." Helaena said and turned to face her mother with fear inside her eyes.

Alicent bit her her lower lip from inside and looked again at her two daughters. It was the only way.

"Your sister is right, Aegon. Forget about playing around with young ladies. I have decided to betrothe you to one another."

"What?", Daela blinked at the news.

"What does father say about that?", Aegon asked and walked towards his family.

"Your father is not that well to make decisions. You know that."

"Our father would never have such an idea!"

"Then you don't know your father at all." Alicent replied to her firstborn son.

"Mother, please I'm not even 10. I can't do that."

"Daela, you're not getting married, just betrothed. My sweet girls believe me, it's the best for you. Your brothers are close to your age, and will be faithful to you. It's rare to find this combination."

"Do at least get to chose?" Aegon asked disappointed.

"No. I've made my decision. You'll take Helaena. And Aemond you'll take Daela."

Helaena lowered her head and exited the room. Only Alicent tried to keep her inside by caressing her shoulder but she left either way. Daela didn't take the news as calmly.

"It's unfair! No!"

"Why can't we chose? I don't want Helaena either!"

"You won't take Daela, you're too old for her."

"Aemond is only a little younger!"

"I don't want you either!" Aemond said to his sister and surprisingly for the first time they agreed on something.

"We're family! We're supposed to be connected and close to eachother. Despite your differences you'll have to surpass them and live together. I want you here."

Daela looked at her two brothers both of whom didn't utter a single protest. She shook her head in disbelief and followed her sister's example. She would not sit any longer with them.

By the time she was in front of her room See Criston appeared from the end of the corridor. "Everything alright, princess?"

"No! Everythings wrong!", She entered her room shutting the door close and keeping the knight outside.

She sat there with her back on the door and opened her heart to him. "My mother wants me to marry Aemond."

"Aemond is a good choice, my princess."

"No! He's a horrible one. I don't even like him. He's mean to me all the time. I want a marriage for love, Ser Criston. And I don't want it yet. I'm too young..."

"This is what happens to everyone royal family."

"I wish I wasn't a royal then."

Criston sighed, he had heard those things before, almost a lifetime away coming from Rhaenyra's mouth. She never meant them. "One day when you'll get older you're going to thank the queen for deciding that. This is the life you deserve."

Then he stopped. The girl behind the door wipped away her tears and after saying goodbye to the Knight moved towards her bed. When she was in her night gown she lied and closed her eyes. Her mind taking her to another place. Away from all this madness.

The door opened, and the scent of her mother's perfume angered her nostrils. "Can I go to Oldtown instead?"

"My love, I'd like you to stay here."

Alicent always had a soft spot for Daela, her only child that looked like her, looked like her mother and other relatives back in her homeland. She wanted to have her close.

"Then, could you tell Daeron to return? I'd prefer him over Aemond."

"Daela, Aemond is a good choice. And he'll never mistreat you. I'll always be around to make sure he'll be a good husband to you."

"What if I got marry to someone else? Maybe I can get married to Jace, or even Luke. Please mother, not Aemond."

Alicent took a serious expression, "No. Not these boys. Actually I think you should stop hanging out with them."

"What?", she sat on her bed and looked at her mother. "Why?"

"It doesn't matter. As long as you stay away from them and away from Rhaenyra everything will be fine. And Daela I want you to remember something, these two boys are more likely to hurt your feelings than your brother."

She hugged her and kissed her on the top of her head while caressing her wavy hair.

"Goodnight, Daela, I love you. I really do."