Robots and Memories

Start from the beginning

I collapse on the floor and then gunfire ensues.

I pull myself into a corner and find materials to hide myself. Ace startles awake and begins to cry.

I panic and try to silence him but he does not quiet down this time. Soon, a shadow appears around the area that we are hiding in and I look at Ace pleading with him but he does not go silent.

A terrifying thought comes into my mind: Should I just leave him?

I sigh and start crying myself as more shadows appear. Fear fills me and pain paralyzes me.

I watch as my safety gets removed and the shadows are staring at me now as I huddle further into the corner.

As I stare at them, I notice their military gear including their weapons.

It makes me shrink further into the wall and protect a still crying child.

A man looks at another man and says, "Take the child."

I hold Ace even more tightly as the man comes closer and pulls Ace out of my hands causing me to stand up to get him back but fall back down in pain.

The man looks at me without any mercy for my state as tears fall from the extreme pain.

He looks at the same man holding Ace and asks, "You think?"

Everyone shakes their head and starts to back away.

"Wait, please," I say as I wince in pain, "I promised that boy's brother that I would take care of him."

"Well," the man says seriously, "you are dying so we are technically taking over for you."

I look at him with fear in my eyes as my skin pales even more and silent tears fall from my eyes.

He softens slightly and asks, "Can you walk?"

"I don't know," I say honestly, "but I can try."

"Then try and keep up because we cannot make an exception for you," the man says seriously.

I get up slowly as they walk away and start assembling my leg in such a way that it will be more stable.

I try to keep up with the group and soon I see lights in an area that the military owns. Fear takes over once again and I freeze.

The man stops as he sees me right behind them, "So you made it. The leader will decide if you stay or not and the child as well."

"You are the military?" I ask with fear in my eyes. He smirks and walks away.

I frown as I try to walk in the opposite direction of the camp but some men stand in front of me, stopping me from leaving.

Inwardly, I start to panic but walk to where a few others are and I realise that this is slavery.

I released slaves and here I am becoming one.

Soon, a man comes into the area and smiles happily.

He notices me and frowns.

He looks at the man I know and asks him something. The man nods and looks at me.

Two men come toward me and pick me up. I start walking towards the area they direct.

I see Ace playing happily with a woman and the man calls him over. Ace goes to him willingly.

Then the man turns his attention to me.

"I am the leader," he says seriously, "where are my niece and nephews?"

I frown and then realise.

Ace smiles at me and waves.

"I don't know," I say honestly, "they were with my sister."

"And?" the man says with anger.

"I hope they still are," I say honestly.

The woman takes Ace from him as he walks toward me with clenched fists but I don't back down.

He towers over me and I meet his eyes.

"TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM," he screams in my face and I sigh.

"I already told you," I say calmly, "and to add on, one of your nephews died and gave them into our care. Ace, Joy and Jay were well taken care of. I just got separated from my sister and them."

The leader walks away from me and the man that rescued me comes toward me.

"The leader does not want you here anymore," the man says seriously, "you will have to leave and fend for yourself."

I sigh and make my way out of the small hut-like home.

Ace runs after me and grabs my injured leg causing me to topple over.

Tears fill my eyes but I wipe them quickly as the young boy hugs me tightly.

The leader walks in at the same time but I don't notice and kiss the boy goodbye as I limp towards the door.

I wave to the little boy as tears fall from my eyes.

I know the end has drawn near for me and that life has finally decided to make me lose everything.