See, he wasn't so heartless. He was letting them have this small moment. But soon, it was time for the second phase of the ritual so the moment had to come to an end.

"Hello Jenna," Klaus says, quietly approaching the newly turned vampire.

"Let her go. I understand that I have to die, but she doesn't!" Elena demands, which she was in no position to do so. She even walks closer to the flames as if she was going to do something. But it only causes the fire encircling her to flare up, forcing her to retreat.

"Careful," Klaus warns in false concern. He was going to kill her before her own stupidity would.

"Elena, don't," Jenna warns, her concern genuine.

"No, Jenna! We can't leave Jeremy without a family." Elena then turns to Klaus, "I followed your rules; I did everything that you asked. I didn't run. Please."

Klaus watched her silently in false contemplation. Elena's emotional pleas reeked of desperation, which was in stark contrast to the forceful demands she was making just moments earlier.

Still, Klaus did not care. It's not like it was ever going to change his mind to begin with and why Elena ever thought it would was beyond him. He was here for one purpose and one purpose only, and it was going to get fulfilled no matter what.

But there seemed to be one more roadblock in completing this ritual that came in the form of a party crasher.

"Well, well," says Klaus, looking up at the top of the quarry. "I don't recall you being on the guest list.

Stefan Salvatore.

"I'm here to talk," states the younger vampire from the top of a nearby cliff.

"Very well then." Klaus nods, giving Jenna one last look before using his vamp-speed to head up toward the top of the cliff and walk calmly towards Stefan. "What can I do for you, Mr. Salvatore?"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *

Klaus had listened to Stefan's last ditch effort to save Jenna as he offered to take her place himself. He wanted to be the hero, die a martyr by trading his life for hers. It was a completely predictable action that unfortunately for Stefan, Klaus was prepared for. 

The Original pretended to give the trade some thought before they walked down from the cliff top and headed towards Elena and Jenna. But there was no thinking this over. Besides the fact that Klaus already had plans for the younger Salvatore, there was the point that Klaus mentioned in their brief conversation. (And, of course, Stefan missed it as he was far too focused on getting Klaus to make the trade.) 

There is a symmetry and synergy here that could not be dispensed with. When this curse was broken, Klaus' dormant werewolf side would awaken as would a woman who has been lying in peaceful slumber for the past fifteen years. Three women, three goddesses, would be sacrificed at nature's altar, to resurrect another goddess.

When Klaus breaks his curse, Aurelia Piper would be freed from hers. A witch unlike anything he's ever seen would return. A woman worth far more to him than all three of these women combined. While Klaus still didn't understand how Rory was tied into his curse, maybe the symmetry of the sacrifice would appease Nature and allow him to figure out why this was.

"Quite the predicament," begins Klaus as he and Stefan reach Jenna and Elena. "You know, it's funny, all this talk about preserving family, and here's Stefan, granting your wish."

"Stefan ..." Elena trails off sadly and Klaus stops himself from rolling his eyes at the melodramatics. His patience was running out.

"It's okay," He responds, reassuring her and most likely himself as well.