Chapter 16: Emily

Start from the beginning

"I came by to check on you before class." He easily lied. Lucy beamed at him and threw her arms around his neck. I pulled out a bottle of orange juice, gripping the bottle tightly. I risked a glance at him, just as Lucy tried to kiss him. I clenched my teeth and turned away to hide the redness that I knew was creeping up my chest. I suddenly understood what he had expressed last night when he saw Abe's hands on me.

"Why won't you kiss me? Or have sex with me?" I heard Lucy say. I strangled a gasped and abandoned the orange juice for the comfort of my room. I couldn't stand here any longer and pretend like everything was fine.

Thirty minutes later, I had showered and changed and was applying my makeup when my phone pinged. I picked it up to read the text.

Jay: I'm sorry that was so awkward.

I sighed and typed out a response. One I knew in my heart I didn't mean.

Emily: That can't happen again. What if she would have walked in five seconds sooner and caught you kissing me?

Emily: This is too risky. I can't do this.

Jay: I'm sorry, Emmy. I shouldn't have kissed you in the open like that.

Emily: No, you shouldn't have stayed the night.

Jay: I'm not sorry I did that.

Jay: I like being with you. And I liked falling asleep with you in my arms and waking up next to you.

Jay: I've never wanted that with anyone before.

I looked up from my phone, swiping under my eyes. I liked that too. In that moment in my room, everything seemed like it could all work out. Like he was really mine in that short span of time. Until I was reminded he wasn't. Until Lucy walked in and tried to kiss him.

I finally looked back at the phone, seeing the tiny bubbles indicating he was typing.

Jay: I know this is all a lot. Just please remember what we talked about yesterday and know that I am going to do everything in my power to reconcile this whole situation. I want to be with you, Emily. No one else.

Part of me wondered if I was being played. The other part didn't want to let him go, no matter what. I had chosen to believe him yesterday. I had chosen to stick this out. So I responded the only way I knew how.

Emily: What did you tell her?

Jay: About what?

Emily: About why you weren't having sex with her.

Jay: Oh... I told her because I was having sex with her roommate.

I gasped and almost dropped my phone. I started typing out a response, as my hands started to shake.

Emily: OMG! PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE KIDDING!!??

Even as I typed it, I knew he had to be kidding, otherwise I would have heard from her by now and probably wouldn't be standing here.

Jay: 😂 Yes, of course I'm teasing you.

Jay: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I sighed with relief.

Emily: Sweet baby Jesus, you almost gave me a heart attack!

Jay: 😂 did you just pray to baby Jesus?

Jay: You know he grew up, right?

I was smiling now. God, how did he do that? One second I didn't think I could do this with him, the next he's got me melting in his hand.

Emily: I like the baby version better.

Emily: Dear eight pound six ounce newborn baby Jesus...🙏

Jay: Well, I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo shirt because it says I wanna be formal but I'm here to party.

Emily: I love that movie. One of the best.

Jay: Hey, if you're not first you're last.

Emily: That makes no sense. You can be second, or third, or fourth. Hell you can even be fifth!!!

Jay: 🤣 See this is it... This is what I'm talking about. I like that I can be my goofy, nerdy self with you.

Emily: You're too hot to be a nerd. 😉

Jay: Am I now?

Emily: Yes. Now stop distracting me so I can get ready for class.

Emily: There's this hot guy in my first class I need to impress.

Jay: Oh, is there now?

Jay: Don't wear any underwear if you really want to impress him. 😜

Jay: Maybe we can go to the library later and 'work on that paper' together

Jay: I always wanted to get freaky in the library stacks. 👉👌💦

I snorted after reading his last text. He was right though. I felt comfortable with him too. Even in the short time I had known him, I felt this strange connection to him. Hence why I was still going to continue on this treacherous path.