Part 4- Ennis Secret

GONG! GONG! GONG!
Oh joy. I thought to myself. I woke up with a jolt at the loud sound. It was Thursday which meant both Toph and I had a full day of separate lessons. Toph doing earth-bending (as if she needed it) and myself practicing sword fighting. Awhile back it had been decided that I had to learn to fight incase anything happened to the guards when we were out, and I had actually come to enjoy it.

I changed into my training clothes, a tight purple wrap top that ended slightly below my ribs and loose green linen pants that ended just at my hips, the outfit was a bit showy for my taste but it allowed for more movement that I had to use when fighting. After that I grabbed my Dao sword hanging above the bed and made my way to Tophs room to get her ready for the day.

"Dashy please I don't want to go, you know I don't need it!" Toph whined.

"I know that, but you still need to put up an act. You know what your parents will think if you suddenly stop lessons. Do it for me please Pebs." I pleaded, man the kid could be a hard head.

"Ugh fine, but I am totally tripping Yucky Yu again!"

"Whatever gets you there" I laughed

After I escorted an unwilling Toph to the earth bending academy for her private lessons, I headed back to the estate into my private practice room. After I had reached rank 4 and graduated from my Dao training, Uncle had gifted me a private practice room to use whenever I wanted. Safe to say, Lady Beifong was notttt happy.

I entered the large earth bent room and locked it tightly behind me, making sure no one could come in. Yes, it had been awhile since I practiced. I took my form, standing straight up and bending my arms to meet in the front, holding my sword down. I slowly raised my left hand, causing a string of violet to follow it, I quickly turned and switched hands, shooting the energy out from the sword in small daggers towards the three target dummies in front of me.

I sighed, I really needed to learn new moves. It had been about ten years since I became an energy bender and I was still struggling with the ability. I guess that was to be expected though, seeing as I had to keep it a secret.
_______________Flashback___________

I sat outside the main room, holding my burning cheek. Aunt had slapped me again, I had talked without being asked at breakfast.

"Poppy! You can't hit the child, she's one of us. She's still family!" My uncle screamed.

"Family? Family! Hah! What a joke! That little wench isn't family! She doesn't have the makings of a Beifong. She's only here because her own mother didn't even want her!" Poppy screamed back.

I teared a bit at the reminder. My own mum, I wasn't good enough for her. Now I was causing problems between my Uncle and his wife. That's all I was; a problem.

"She's staying here! End of discussion! You are never to lay a finger on her ever again!" My uncle boomed in reply.

It was all too much, I felt like a burden. I had to go. That night, I packed the little things I had and ran off. The estate was near the sea and being the little girl that I was, I thought I could just swim across the ocean, far, far away, just like in the fairytales.

After what felt like a lifetime, I finally managed to trek to the edge of the water. I dove in, holding on tightly to the straps of my backpack. It went well at first and I managed to swim a kilometre out but I was already tired from the walk there and soon I couldn't keep up with the tide and was being pulled under. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, accepting my fate and praying to Oma that in my next life I would be born into love, or not at all.

Before I could drown however, I felt a large mass lift me up. As the cold wind broke my position I took a sharp intake of air and looked up to see what had happened. I definitely did not see what I thought I would.

In front of me was a huge creature; a lion turtle. I was in shock, I had heard of them and seen drawings in story books but everyone always thought they were myths! I stared for a few seconds, inspecting the creature in front of me. It was beautiful, it looked like it was carved out of stone, it seemed to have an earth symbol on its forehead; although it was barely visible now due to obviously hard years at sea. I felt so small, but I also felt safe. The kind look in the creatures stone eyes told me that it was not going to hurt me.

"Hello child, what are you doing out here all alone?" Wait. Where was that coming from?

"I- I ran away, my family doesn't want me. I'm useless to them. I'll just be a burden." I audibly replied, although I didn't know if that was the right choice.

"Why my dear, that's not true. I can see you have people who love you now and you definitely have people who will love you in the future."
The creature paused for awhile, now bringing me up closer to its face.
"Yes, you will be very loved in the future, very loved indeed. You are the one I have been looking for and it is no coincidence I have found you."

Before I could reply, the creature lifted up its other hand, now placing two fingers on me, one on my forehead and another on the centre of my chest. I felt a warm energy move inside of me and a flash of scenes pass quickly in my mind. It was like a thousand instructions had been deposited into my brain.

"Do you understand now little one?"

"Yes, thank you." I replied, now feeling a sense of familial comfort in its presence.

With that, the creature returned me safely to shore, where I quickly fell into a deep sleep and was found the next morning by a search party my uncle had sent out.
______________Flashback Over________

GONG! GONG! GONG!
I was awoken from my trance by the loud sound. Before I knew it, I had finished my practice and the afternoon gong rang out, signalling that it was time for me to pick up Toph.