chapter sixteen

sadie

He forgot.

Charlie actually forgot our anniversary. After he promised he wouldn't.

I tried not to think about it yesterday, even though my heart hurt more and more as every minute went by.

I don't understand how he could forget, because most normal people don't forget their one year anniversary. Maybe that's dramatic to say, but whatever. And I'm pretty sure I know the exact reason why he forgot too.

A sport where you skate on ice with literal razor blades and a bunch of angry, pissed off guys chase a rubber puck to try and score more points than the other team.

In simpler terms, hockey.

Yesterday was definitely not how I envisioned my one year anniversary with my first real boyfriend to go. I dropped by his dorm before school to give him his present, but he wasn't there. Adam took the present from me and promised that he'd give it to Charlie, but I never heard from him to see if he got it or not. Despite this, I still went to watch his hockey game and support him. I was too sad to hang out with anyone, so I just went back to the dorm and did homework before falling asleep.

As I wake up, I check my phone like I always do. I see that Charlie tagged me in an Instagram post just after midnight. I was already asleep, so I haven't seen this until now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

liked by abanks99, ella

liked by abanks99, ella.walker, morganraeandersen, and 2,531 others
👤tagged: you
cconway96: one year with the best. love you❤️
~comments~
guygermaine00: i'm a proud teammate
ella.walker: aww cuties
morganraeandersen: so cuteeee
theavermeister: Charlie should I tell her you have the ring?
———cconway96: shut up averman
———theavermeister: Or what?
abanks99: this is cute
goldbergthegoalieofficial: Happy anniversary I still like your girlfriend better than you
———cconway96: wow thanks goldberg means a lot
l_mendoza: happy anniversary guys!
rtyler56: that's my captain!
cowboydrobertson: Happy anniversary partner!!
fulton_reed44: Happy anniversary cap!
julesgaffney: So sweet :,)
conniemoreau_: Awww Charlie!!! This is so cute!!
dean21portman: captain doing captain things🫡
kennywu: happy anniversary guys!
caidenbrown23: Happy anniversary!
dmullin17: happy anniversary kid!
mjames13: Inspirational stuff
———teddy_james14: I agree
~view 437 more~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know how to feel, or if I should feel anything at all. I'm so over it all and everything just feels sort of... numb.

I don't even know if I should ask him if our plans to hang out this weekend are still on, and to be honest, I don't even know if I want to ask.

After staring at the post for a few more seconds, I finally comment on it and get myself out of bed. I throw on my uniform and one of the new sweatshirts our team got this year, trying to focus on anything else but Charlie and this drama.

I'm sure he'll try and talk to me, but I'm not sure how I'll respond, if I even choose to respond at all.

I put on my usual makeup, then take the homework pile on my desk, make sure everything is finished, and put it all into my folder.

The bathroom door opens and out walks Ella, who's up way earlier than she usually is. She gives me a sympathetic smile before walking over to give me a hug. "It'll all work out. I promise."

"Easy for you to say." I mumble. "All you had to do was decide to not be mad at Adam anymore. He didn't forget anything."

"Yeah, but he still messed up." Ella counters.

I cross my arms and turn away from her. "It's not the same El. You know that."

"Okay, look. I'm sorry that you're upset about your boyfriend being an idiot, I really am. But that gives you no right to be rude to me when all I'm trying to do is help." With that, she grabs her bag and walks out the door, slamming it shut.

"What was that about?" I hear. I turn around to Morgan, who's just waking up and has an extremely confused look on her face.

"She tried to help me with this whole Charlie situation and I basically shut her down." I answer honestly.

Morgan gives me a look, and I immediately start to feel guilty. She has that affect on people. One look from her and you immediately start to rethink every life choice you've ever made.

"She was just trying to help Sadie. I understand you're probably feeling so many things right now, but please don't push anyone away. Especially me or her. We're your best friends and we're here to help you."

The feeling of guilt grows, and I feel like such a bad friend. "I'm an awful friend."

"No you're not." she assures me. "You're just hurt. I'm sure she knows that, but just let her cool down for a bit. I say leave her alone for the day and try and talk to her during warmups."

I go over to her and give her a hug, then grab my bags and throw them over my shoulder. "You're the best. See you in a bit."

She smiles at me and I leave the dorm, making sure I don't run into any Duck on the way out. Tatum is walking out of her dorm at the same time as me, so we end up walking to school together. We stop and wait for Justine, who was a few feet behind us the whole time and we didn't even know.

This walk is definitely something I needed. And, I come out of it with a new friend. It's not like Justine and I weren't friendly before, but we were more acquaintances than anything. Now, I feel like I've known her my whole life.

I'm definitely nervous as I walk into school, because I know I can run into Charlie at any moment. I don't know how many people know what's going on between us and if anyone knows at all, but I hope a lot of people don't.

I walk into algebra and hand in my homework before sitting in my seat and waiting for Morgan. When she walks in, I feel way better. I like having friends in my classes, because it makes school way more tolerable.

As third period comes to an end, I'm nervous to see if Charlie will come to walk me like he usually does. When I walk outside and don't see him, I'm shocked that a part of me was expecting it and that I don't feel surprised whatsoever.

It basically feels like we broke up without breaking up. I'm not sure if he's avoiding me, ignoring me, or whatever else, but I don't like it. If he wants to ignore me, I'll ignore him right back.

Maybe this new mindset is just a reaction to the hurt and betrayal I'm feeling, or maybe it's just the beginning signs of the start of moving on.

~~~~~~
**a/n**
hi! so i know that between this book and the last one, i've incorporated social media like instagram and snapchat into it. i know it may seem weird, but i like it, because to me it makes it feel more modern. i didn't want to just have it based on the movies, because i wanted to put my own little twist on it. anyways, hope you're enjoying so far and i'm sorry i haven't updated in a few days. and as always, voting/commenting and support is always appreciated!! that's it for now love you all byeee <3333