27 | breaking free

"Sometimes you have to lose yourself to discover who you might yet be. Sometimes what feels like breaking down is really just you breaking free."

Thandeka Ndaba

_______

Things were tense. Not because of me but because of what his father told him. I didn't know how to comfort him when I didn't know how it felt to find out that the mother you thought was your biological mother, isn't. All I could do was be by his side. In the middle of the night, I heard him in the bathroom. Crying. It broke my heart.

I never thought I would hear him in such a vulnerable position. We were going back to KwaNdaba in a few days and I just wanted him to heal and be back to my Phelo.

The door opened and he came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. He looked exhausted, and it was just morning. I put down the book I was reading and patted the other end of the bed. "Come back to bed, Phelo. You're still tired. You need to rest if you're going to be making sound decisions."

"I don't need to rest." He walked to the closet and I got out and followed him.

"I really can't ever understand how you're feeling but baby, you need to deal with this. And you won't be able to if you're not giving yourself time to rest and take a step back from reality." I hugged him around the waist from behind. "Please come back to bed."

. . .

We woke up a few hours later. He looked better but because of the lack of sleep in the last week, it would take time before he became his good old self. We were going back to the Khoza Kingdom. He looked sure with himself that he was ready to talk to them. I know someone he really wanted to get to know was his mother.

She was innocent in all of this. Although, I believe that she should have tried harder, I can't really blame her. I was not her and I will never understand how she felt. Maybe during the time, it was much more intense than the summarized version of events that we were given.

I was texting Amukelani as he drove.

how did your trip go?
-Me

Hektik!
-Amu
I don't even want to go back and face her. She disgusts me.
-Amu

When you're ready to talk I'm here. Things are bad on my side too but we'll be okay. We all will <3
-Me

Thanks. I know Siya is here with me but things have just been hard for me to actually speak to him. I feel bad, he's really trying.
-Amu

Siya was probably the guy she told me about.

Please accept support given. It's good to be with people who care about you when you're feeling negative emotions.
-Me

Mental health was important. I may have not known in detail what she was going through but it's good that she doesn't let it affect her too much. She should focus on the dealing and healing process. The person who hurt you is the one who deserves to suffer, not you.

"Who are you talking to?" Qophelo nonchalantly asked, glancing at me for a second.

"That time I brought you food, I met a girl in line. She's so sweet and gorgeous. We had quite a few things in common so we exchanged numbers and have been talking since. They're still in the guesthouse if you want to meet them?"

"Them?" He turned right, into the roads of Khoza Kingdom.

"Yeah, she's there with a friend of hers."