21.

138 ACKING' S LANDING

138 AC
KING' S LANDING

' UNCLE LUKE? ' Luke hears and looks down to find the little boy with wide green eyes staring up at him. ' Can you play swords with me? '

Rhaenys had written to Luke quite often over the past six years since she became Queen. Her ravens always included updates on the children, even Aemon who Luke couldn't understand why she had accepted into her life as if he was her own. Without fail as soon as Aemon started talking, every letter included a passage about his sweet little voice. Luke didn't know why she thought he cared. But listening to the little bastard boy right now, he hates to admit it, but it is quite cute.

' I'm not your uncle ' Luke grumbles, ' and you do not play swords, these are not toys '
Aemon's little brow furrows as he studies Luke ' But my sisters call you uncle.And mama says you're her brother! '

Luke pinches the bridge of his nose, ' She's not really your, uh, nevermind, this is a conversation for that father of yours ' Luke says with a slight scowl. ' What was it you wanted again? '

' Swords! ' Aemon yells, pointing at the little sparring swords in the training field next to them.

' Wouldn't you rather spar with somone your age? '

' No! ' Aemon says, stamping his foot. ' I want to play swords with you! Mama says you're really good! '

' Ok fine ' Luke says trying to calm the young boy down, ' we can spar. Don't get yourself in a tizzy. '

Aemon looks far too proud of himself as he turns around to fetch the sparring swords and padded armor.

'You won't be needing that ' Luke says when Aemon holds the pads up to him to assist in putting them on.

Aemon wrinkles his little brow, ' Mama says we have to wear it. '

' Well my dear sister is not here now is she? ' Luke questions the boy who looks extremely disappointed in him. ' It will slow you down' Luke says, ' don't you want to be quick when fighting so no one can hit you? '

' But what if I get hurt?' Aemon questions.

' Then you'll have to move faster, so you don't get hit, won't you? '

Aemon sighs but seems to agree. And picks up his sword.

' You never know who your enemy might be, ' Luke state.

Luke doesn't go easy on the young boy. A few times he wacks Aemon on the arm or leg, but never hard enough to hurt him, just enough that he won't want to be hit again.

Aemon is relentless though. The pain of being smacked by Luke's spear does not deter him. A few times his eyes get a little misty like he might start to cry, Luke doesn't think it's from the pain, but more from the frustration of not doing as well as he wants.