27.

145 ACKING'S LANDING

145 AC
KING'S LANDING

' BUT I DON'T WANNA, MOTHER ! ' Visenya says with a huff, crossing her arms over her chest.

' That is enough Visenya ' Rhaenys snaps and ties off the last of her braids, making sure that the little tiara on the princess's head is secure.

Over on her bed, her hair already done, Naerys is looking just as disappointed as Visenya with what is to come of the day, but she has learned by now no amount of complaining will get her out of it.

Rhaenys and Aemond had not done the best job raising their daughters to be the perfect little princesses the rest of the realm expected them to be.

Rhae, after spending past three months in Hightower with her uncle Daeron, is extremely gifted with a sword.

Alicent is always engulfed in her books, but enjoys her bow and arrow.

Rhaenyra and Naerys enjoys sparring any chance they got.

And while Visenya doesn't yet have the strength to hold a sword, she has a sharp eye and a good shot with a bow.

So that is why last night when Aemond and Rhaenys explained to the little royals that the Baela Targaryen would be visiting court and Naerys and Visenya were expected to take tea and practice their stitching with Baela's twin daughters Maegela and Area as they were closest in age to them, Visenya had a full-on meltdown. She went to bed angry and woke up in a foul mood.

It's not like Rhaenys is particularly thrilled to spend the whole day with the Baela, only three years after death of Rhaena, for whitch many still point fingers at her sister in law Saera.

While Rhaenys can't be bothered to care about family feuds, the deep-seated hate between two sides of family still burns hot in their family.

~

Aemond knew his wife was put in a difficult position of having to spend the day with Baela Targaryen so he was apologetic in the form of waking her this morning under the sheets with his head between her thighs and that wicked tongue of his. At least that way her day would start out well.

He then got younger kids bathed while she enjoyed her bath in peace, but he had no choice but to hand off two disappointed princesses to be dressed and get their hair combed and braided.

Rhaenys, Aemond and children all wore red, black and green to remind the Baela, but mostly her father that they ruled the seven kingdoms.

Rhaenys knew it was a petty act, but she couldn't find it in herself to care. Visenya was supposed to be dressed in green, black and red like everyone but threw an absolute fit that she wanted wear yellow for the day.

She then proceeded to have a problem with every single dress she was presented with and was finally dressed in green when Rhaenys maid and more importantly old friend Larra suggested it would make her purple eyes sparkle.

Rhaenys moves from behind Visenya to face the little girl. She is still dressed only in her robe and needs to put her dress on soon. She needs the robe to move more freely while she helps the girls get dressed before donning her elaborate jewel-encrusted gown. Her hair and jewelry are all done and on and everything is a little more ostentatious than usual since it's Baela Targaryen Westeros richest woman who's joining them. Well, second richest, after Rhaenys.

Rhaenys kneels before Visenya and takes her hands, ' Look at me Visenya ' she says to her young daughter who refuses to meet her eyes. Finally light violet meets brown and Rhaenys can see the fire behind them. ' We are all going to greet the Baela Targaryen and her children when they arrive. Then you, Naerys, Maegela, Area, Lady Baela and I will take tea and spend a few hours stitching, while Aemon spends time with Daeron and Baela's son Areon. We will all dine together tonight at a big feast. The cooks are making those lemon cakes you like so much ' Rhaenys tells her and Visenya smiles at the mention of lemon cakes before she remembers she is supposed to be angry.

' But it's not fair! Daeron and Areon get to spar and practice their bow and arrows with Aemon. They like that. I hate stitching! '

' Oh darling you have no idea how truly unfair world can be, I am afraid ' Rhaenys murmurs and kisses her forehead. ' You are a princess Visenya, and that is what is expected of you. And sometimes we must do things that are expected of us even if we don't want to ' she explains to her daughter.

' I wanna play with the boys! ' Visenya huffs crossing her arms. Rhaenys thinks her message is understood, Visenya is just clearly still not happy with it.

' And leave Naerys to practice her stitching all by herself? ' Rhaenys asks knowing that Visenya out of all her sisters loves Naerys the most.

' No, she should come play too ' Visenya stresses.

' There will be plenty of time to play when Lady Baela and her children are gone ' Rhaenys explains once again.

' Come on Visenya. There's no getting out of it, unfortunately. I've been trying for years ' Naerys says, and hops off the bed. ' Let's leave mother to get dressed. We can go to the kitchens, I saw them making the lemon cakes this morning ' That seems to perk up Visenya and she hops from her stool and takes her sisters hand.

~

Rhaenys can feel the girls pout as they walk out and Larra helps Rhaenys into her gown.

Rhaenys drops her robe and steps over to Larra, who's dressed in a beautiful soft green dress.

' Do you think if I can pretend to fall ill we can get out of this? ' Rhaenys asks her friend, absolutely dreading what is to come of the day.

Larra laughs ' I'm afraid that will only give Baela a reason to extend her stay. '

Rhaenys sighs as Larra begins to tie the laces and push together the row of dozens of satin buttons covering her back.

' You will be fine ' Larra assures her friend.

' I think I would rather spend the day reworking the city's sewage than spending it with Baela ' Rhaenys says while wrinkling her nose at the thought.

' I would much rather be finishing the last of the accommodations on the new school ' Rhaenys sighs. She loves her work as queen. Aemond is always open to her ideas, and she has put a strong emphasis on taking care of the people Flea Bottom, and specifically the children. So many of them are doomed to live and die in that life, the least she can do is provide opportunities for them, give them a way to learn a new trade or skill so they can hopefully build themselves a better life.

' I would much rather acompany you there as well ' Larra hums as she continues to lace and button Rhaenys dress. ' King is never going to be able to get you out of this dress ' Larra mumbles.

' Larra! ' scolds.

' Oh spare me, like I can't guess where these bite marks along on your neck are from. '

Rhaenys blushes ' I told him not to leave marks ' she says horrified that that might be on display for Baela Targaryen to see.

' He didn't leave them where anyone other than he, and I guess I, can see them ' Larra teases.

Finally, Larra gets the dress secured and Rhaenys dons her final piece of jewelry, an ornate crown, Rhaenys favorite.

...