10. Fifteen Years Old

Ally had never had trouble finding Takia before.

When they were younger all the children played outside together whenever the weather was fair, and often even when it wasn't. But as they had grown older, hide and seek was left behind, (much to Ally's disappointment) and in its place, teenagers sat and talked or did chores or studied together.

Ally liked talking too, so that was alright.

The only trouble with being a fifteen-year-old who talked instead of playing was that now there was no general meeting place for them. The young people paired off into smaller groups and visited each other's houses to hang out together.

Of course, Ally knew where Takia's house was, but often as not, Takia was not home, and then Ally would have to hurry along the bridges between trees, knocking on the doors of other friends' houses, asking about to see where she could be. Takia seemed to be at a different friend's house every time.

One cold winter day, while she was running across the treetop bridges searching for Takia, the thought struck Ally for the first time, that perhaps Takia was avoiding her.

"That's silly!" Ally muttered to herself at once, tightening her scarf more securely around her neck. Beneath her scarf hung half of the shell necklace that Takia had given her years ago. The small lump comforted her. It had been Takia's idea to have the friendship necklaces, after all. That was proof that they were best friends. Takia wouldn't just avoid her like that. If there was something wrong, Takia would tell her, surely!

Ally was just being insecure, that was all.

Her breath coming in puffs of frost, Ally hurried up and knocked on the door to Lydia Hickory's house.

After a moment of silence, the door swung open to reveal Takia herself.

"Takia!" Ally laughed. "I was just looking for you!"

Takia smiled and opened her mouth, but before she could speak, a girl with frizzy red hair leaned around the doorframe.

"Ally!" Lydia grinned. "Step in! It's cold out!"

"Thank you!" Ally stepped inside, the door falling shut behind her. The fireplace was crackling brightly, and through her gloves, she felt warmth trickle into her fingertips.

Takia turned to Ally expectantly. "What did you need?"

"Oh, uh," Ally shrugged. "I don't know. Just wanted to talk, I suppose."

"We're drawing!" Lydia said brightly from the dining room table, where paper, pencils, and watercolors were spread out. "Would you like to join us?"

Ally hesitated. She was not very good at drawing. Not like Takia or Lydia. She sat down anyway and took off her scarf. "I'll try!"

The three began to draw and paint and chat. It was cozy with the fire and the leaves on the tree branches whipping in the wind outside, but Ally couldn't focus.

Takia wasn't wearing her friendship necklace.

Ally stared down at her paper, aimlessly drawing squiggles. She felt silly to be feeling... whatever it was that she was feeling. It was just a necklace, after all. She didn't wear her necklace every day either. But it was so strange to be wearing it when Takia was not. It felt wrong.

Maybe, Ally thought, there was a reason that it was always her running around from house to house looking for Takia, and never the other way around.

But Takia wasn't as outgoing as Ally, that was all! Yet... Takia had gone to Lydia's house, hadn't she? And all sorts of other people's houses. Ally knew because she found her there.

But it was ridiculous to be annoyed at Takia for hanging out with other friends. They were Ally and Takia! Takia and Ally! They were best friends, and they would always be best friends, that didn't mean that they weren't allowed to have other friends!

None of that would change the fact that they were best friends.

That was the whole point of best friends.

Best friends were forever.

Weren't they?

"Oh!" Lydia's voice rose in excitement, catching Ally's attention. "Emmett's birthday party is next week! Are you going, Takia?"

"Yes." Takia had her tongue between her teeth, concentrating on a few lines in her drawing. "He's having a chocolate orange cake, I've heard. I've never had chocolate orange cake before." She put her pencil down laughing softly. "Not a combination a would have chosen."

Ally glanced over at Takia. Maybe it was silly and petty, but she was waiting to see if Takia would ask her, Ally, if she was going to the party.

"I'm excited to try it though!" Lydia said brightly. "What about you, Ally, are you going?"

"Yes." Said Ally. She pretended to concentrate very hard on her drawing and told herself that she was being silly. Takia was quiet! She knew that. Takia had always been quiet. Just because she didn't ask Ally if she was going to a party didn't mean that she didn't care!

This was ridiculous. Ally was overthinking everything now.

She didn't use to do that.

Outside, the wind gave a mournful cry.

-------

Wow. Is this what going viral feels like? XD

Hello new readers! There are a lot of you, and I want to thank you all for taking a chance with this little story of mine! It means more than you can know. I've read every single one of your comments, and although I won't have time to reply to all of them, I'll get to as many as I can! They've been SO HELPFUL you have no idea.

Although this is my first time posting a book for free online, I've actually published two books, with my third novel set to release in 2023 with the company Bandersnatch Books. So, if you're enjoying my writing and want to read more of it--check out my website! It would mean a lot.

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't wait to share more of Ally's story with you!

- Millie Florence

millieflorence.com