⚡️ Chapter Twenty Four ⚡️

Start from the beginning

"You good, Shortie?" Jean asks. "You look like you've got something on your mind."

"Ah...I think my head's still a little foggy from my fall." I reply, bringing a hand to my head. "I'm sorry if I don't hear you guys. I'm probably in a staring trance..."

"There's no need for you to apologize." Armin assures. "It wasn't your fault that you fell. It was-"

A horrified scream occurs behind us, interrupting Armin. We look back to see two soldiers with two Titans chasing after them.

"Heads up! We've got company!" One of them yell.

A red flare is shot up. "Enemies spotted at the rear!"

"Full speed! All soldiers!" Commander Erwin orders.

One of the Titans passes by the two soldiers it was chasing and comes up right behind a wagon.

"Oh God..." I mutter. "It's about to be right on top of us."

"Looks like we've got no choice, but to fight." Jean remarks.

Armin sighs. "This ground is too flat to engage in ODM gear..."

I look directly behind me and gasp. "Not to mention that we'll soon be outnumbered." There are more Titans closing in on us.

Jean looks back at where I was looking and scoffs. "Perfect! What do you two suppose we do? You're the geniuses!"

"Jean...it's hard to come up with something right on the-" I start.

"There's only one thing we can do..." Armin interrupts grimly.

"Huh?" I question and look at him to notice that he's looking at the dead bodies, lying in the carts. "Oh...that would make the carts go faster..."

"What are you two going on about?" Jean asks. "We have to fight!"

I hang my head as the soldiers on the cart let down the back after an order Captain Levi gave them. "No. We don't..."

"What..." Jean starts. "What are they doing?"

"They're dropping the bodies..." Armin explicitly explains, as they begin throwing bodies off. "They'll be able to escape that way..."

"That's bullshit!" Jean exclaims. "What about their families?!"

I shrug. "I'm sure the commander will list them as 'missing in action.' I don't know..."

"Only time will tell..." Armin continues.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

I sigh, leaning against the alleyway wall. "I can't believe our time with Eren has been revoked..." I press my fingertips to my temples. "If this doesn't work, I don't know what will..."

After making it back inside the wall, we were not welcomed back with thanks and joy. Actually, it was quite the opposite. We were booed and the citizens hate us now.

To make things worse, us Scouts have been called to the capitol, since our use of Eren has apparently been revoked. Armin and I have something prepared though...

"We'll get her to understand. Also, pull up your hood." Armin instructs. "Only pull it down after she arrives."

The Military Police are supposed to help the Scouts safely arrive at the capitol. So, we figured that we might be able to stop Annie and tell her what's going on and ask for help, since she's a member.

"Sorry..." I pull my hood up and look out of the alleyway. "I'll call her in once I see her."

Not too long after saying that, Annie runs past the alleyway we're standing in, looking to be in a rush.

"Annie!" I whisper shout, making her stop. She turns arounds and follows me into the allwyway. I run a little more quickly, so I can be beside Armin.

She comes around the corner and stops just outside the alleyway and stares at us.

"Hey..." Armin greets in a whisper.

Her eyes widen, as she gasps softly. "Armin...Y/n..." Her face immediately goes back to normal. "So, uh...what's with the outfits?"

"Oh?" I raise an eyebrow. "Do you mean the rain gear?"

"It's a makeshift disguise." Armin continues. "We needed them to conceal our ODM gear." We both, simultaneously, lift up the long rain coats. "See?"

"What's this about?" She asks.

I sigh, pull my hood down and shake my head a little to free my hair. "We have a plan to help Eren escape with us and we need your help."

"Wait." She says, before either of us can say anything else. "Escape to where? Stuck behind these walls, where can you possibly hide that they won't find you?"

"We'll only need to hide for a short while." Armin explains. "This isn't a mutiny. We have every intention of returning. This isn't just a few loyal Scouts, staging a small active protest. It's a stall tactic."

"All we need is time to gain enough evidence to overrun the counsel's ruling about Eren." I continue. "I promise. That's all we want."

"Are you serious about this?" She asks. "How can you be sure the evidence exists and what is it?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and look down. "I'm sorry. We can't tell you..."

She sighs, also looking down. "Sorry, you two...I'm going to have to decline. My lips are sealed, though. Best of luck." She turns around and starts walking away.

I gently bump my shoulder against Armin's, making him look at me, so I nod toward Annie, whispering. "Say something..."

"Hold on!" He whisper shouts. "Hey! Please!"

I sigh and take a few rushed steps toward her. "Annie, please! They're going to kill Eren!"

She immediately stops.

I continue. "They'll kill him just because they're afraid of what they don't understand. What they don't see is that their fear is pushing humanity to the brink of extinction."

Armin looks down. "Maybe it's too late to change their minds, but...what if we can? We have no choice, but to bet everything on that chance!"

"We're sorry..." I humbly apologize. "The last thing we want to cause you is grief, but you're our only hope of helping Eren escape, since you're apart of the Military Police."

She looks back at us, over her shoulder. "Why me? Do I really look like that good of a person to you?"

"A good person?" Armin questions. "To be honest, I don't know. I can't speak for Y/n, but I've never taken a particular liking to such labels..."

Her eyes land on me. "Then Y/n...what do you think?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I'm like Armin. I don't really care for labels. Besides, when used to describe people, good is a word applied to only thank them for being at our convenience. It's purely subjective."

"Any way you try to look at it, labeling people dehumanizes them." Armin continues, as she looks back in front of her. "Regardless, if you still choose to say no to this request..."

I look at the back of her head. "Then in our eyes, you're a bad person. So please...help us save Eren."

She turns to the side and takes her gun off her shoulder and leans it up against the alleyway wall. "Alright then...let's do this."

A/N: Hey, Scouts! I apologize for taking a while to get this written. I've been really busy, even though it's summer. I'll try to update more frequently. I'm almost into season two, so this book will be ending soon. I'm really excited about writing the next book.

Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed and that you have a wonderful rest of your day/evening/night. Bye, Scouts!