⚡️ Chapter Twenty One ⚡️

"We've got a ten-meter closing in from the left!" Section Commander Hange informs.

I'm quick to look to the left to see a Titan with a huge stomach. I wonder if it's that big because of how many people it's eaten or if that's just how it looks.

"Ah!" She gasps loudly. "I want to know what's rolling around in that glorious belly, but I guess we should just let the support squad do their job!"

The support squad propel themselves over to the Titan to slay it, but they appear to be struggling.

Sasha lets out a terrified squeal.

"Sasha. Calm-" I start.

The man beside her forces her head forward. "Keep your eyes forward and let them do their job!"

"Forward!" Commander Erwin commands. "Ride for all you're worth!"

"Am I going to be able to kill a Titan or...will it eat me first..?" I hear Armin mumble beside me.

"Heh?!" I exclaim quietly. "Don't go saying stuff like that! If you don't kill any Titans, the people close by you, including me, will kill them before they get a hold of you."

"You've got nothing to worry about, Armin. You've got a caring sister watching over you." Reiner, whom is beside Armin, replies.

Armin nods. "Yeah...I know I do." He looks at me. "Thank you..."

"Of course." I look straight ahead of me. "I'm not letting someone else important to me die...especially my brother."

Commander Erwin suddenly sticks his left arm out. "Long-range formation. Let's go!"

"See you two around and good luck." Reiner remarks out, splitting away from Armin and I.

"Be careful, Reiner!" I call out over my shoulder.

"Do us a favor. If you run into one of them, don't piss yourself and just get the job done." Jean orders, as he falls back behind us to get into his formation.

"I could say the same to you, Jean! Be careful!" I reply.

We eventually rode a little longer, separating ourselves from everyone else to go to our spots in the formation. I don't think I could be anymore thankful that they assigned me so close to Armin.

"Armin, do you want the extra horse or do you want to be in charge of sending signals?" I ask, as I'm handed the reins of another horse.

"Oh. Uh, I'll go with sending the signals, since I already have them." He answers.

I nod and look around the area, trying to keep my breathing under control, since I'm scared. "Ok. Make sure to keep an eye out everywhere. We should start seeing sig-"

As if right on cue, a signal is shot up not too far away from us. It's red smoke, so that means a Titan or Titans have already been spotted.

Armin hurriedly sticks his hand in his saddle bag, pulling out a red flare to shoot up. He shakily loads it in his gun and quickly fires it straight up.

"Hey. It's ok. There's no Titans near us." I tug on the extra horse's reins to run right beside Adeline. "Just be lucky we're not in the front."

He sighs. "I'm trying to stay calm, but it's frightening to know that they could get to us, even though we're pretty close to the center..."

"Yeah." I agree. "I understand that, but we really have nothing to worry about, unless there's an Abnormal. The outliers are keeping us safe right now."

"Speaking of the outliers..." Armin looks at where the signal we saw came from. "Don't you think there'd be another signal already?"

"Mmm..." I hum, looking in the same direction, before looking back at Armin. "Do you think something's wrong?"