⚡️ Chapter Twenty Two ⚡️

Start from the beginning

"She scared all of us." Armin corrects. "It really scared me when you weren't replying to any of us..."

I gently grab one of Armin's hands. "I'm sorry for scaring you three...especially you, Armin."

Armin looks me straight in the eye. "Why are-"

"It's not like you could've stop yourself from falling, unless you wanted to break your wrists by catching yourself." Jean remarks over his shoulder, interrupting Armin. "It couldn't be stopped and that's not your fault."

I look down at my lap, before standing back up and start walking in Jean's direction.

"Uh, Doll?" Reiner questions.

"I'm going to try and call Adeline back." I answer. I already knew he wanted to know what I was doing. "There's four people here, so we need at least three horses."

"Don't over-exhert yourself." Armin instructs. "Especially with your current condition."

I stop on the other side of Reiner's horse. "Don't worry. I won't." I start calling for Adeline, then whistle a few times. I end up switching between both methods.

"I swear. If your horse immediately comes back, I'm going to lose it." Jean swears under his breath.

I look over at him, lowering my hands from my mouth a little bit. "You know how obedient Adeline is though."

"Yeah..." He looks out in front of him. "You choose the most obedient horse and I probably choose the most stubborn one."

I look back out in front of me as well. "Buchwald is a fine horse. He just needs more training is all." I bring my hand back up to start calling again.

"Hey. You don't even have to do that anymore." Jean informs, gently pushing my hand down. "I already see her coming this way."

I gasp. "That's good! Then I can ride out and see if I can see Buchwald anywhere near."

"Uh-" Jean starts.

"One of us is going to have to stay here." Reiner remarks a little louder than he had been speaking, so Jean and I would hear him. "The decision wouldn't be any easier if both of your heads weren't foggy. One of us have to stay here."

I abruptly turn around, waiting for Adeline to get here. "Now wait a minute. All we've got to do is wait for a little bit."

"Wait?" Reiner repeats. "Doll, you do realize we're out in the middle of Titan country, right?"

"Of course she does." Armin replies, standing up. "What she's saying is we should fire a smoke signal first. If everyone kept going straight, Row Four, Squad Three ought to be in close proximity to us by now."

After a few seconds of silence, Jean digs through Reiner's horse's saddle bag to get the flare gun and a purple flare.

While he's digging, Adeline reaches me and I immediately start petting and stroking her. Then, I put my forehead against the bridge of her nose. "Good girl..."

"Good. We have two horses now, but we still need at least one more." Reiner remarks.

I climb onto Adeline and stroke her mane. "I'm going to go out and try to find Jean's horse."

"Please be careful." Armin pleads.

I nod. "I will."

Jean fires off the purple flare. "This is useless...no one's going to think that someone needs a horse..."

"Come back in three minutes, alright Doll?" Reiner instructs. "If you don't, then we'll know something's wrong and one of us will try to come find you."