⚡️ Chapter Twenty ⚡️

Start from the beginning

"Neither? Who else saw him?" Eren questions.

Jean pointedly nods at me. "Shortie did."

Eren looks back at me. "Y/n?"

I slowly nod, trying to keep myself together and not cry. "For all we know, he died alone...no one even saw it happen..." I start shaking a little, but Armin lays a hand on my shoulder to help calm me down.

Eren looks down in front of him. "Marco's dead..."

"Yeah..." I reply, blinking the threatening tears away.

"Alright, rookies!" Section Commander Ness calls out. "Form up!" We all look at him. "Your uniforms are here!"

All of us, excluding Eren, walk over to Ness and stand in a straight, horizontal line. Ness and the man holding our cloaks, make their way down the line, handing each person a cloak.

Once everyone had one, we all whip them around us, leaving them to rest on our shoulders and button them.

It feels good to finally have the Wings of Freedom on our cloaks now, instead of the blades. These wings signify the freedom that we hope to bring to humanity.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

"So, then. You guys are really..." Eren starts.

"Yes." Mikasa nods. "We will be in the upcoming operation as well."

We're all in the dining hall, just talking. There isn't any food made yet. It's just a quiet place for us to talk.

"Hey, Eren. I heard that while you were in your Titan form, you intentionally tried to crush Mikasa. Do you mind telling us what that's all about?" Jean asks.

"I-" Eren starts.

I wave my hands frantically. "Please don't start fighting. Come on. It's still our first day. Don't make a bad impression."

"She's right." Mikasa remarks. "And you're wrong. He thought he was swatting at a fly. Nothing more-"

"I wasn't talking to either of you." Jean says, speaking a little more loudly. "Oh. By the way, Mikasa..." He brings two of his fingers to his cheek. "That cut on your cheek looks pretty deep."

Mikasa immediately turns her head to hide her cut.

"Just how did you get that again?" Jean asks.

"Jean. Stop this. Plea-" I start.

"Apparently, it's all true." Eren confirms. "When I was a Titan, I...I tried to kill Mikasa."

"Apparently?" Jean questions, sounding a little mad. "As in you don't remember whether you did or not? So, basically, you can transform into a 14-meter tall monster at will, but when you do, you don't actually have full control over it?"

"Not yet, but that's right." Eren replies.

Jean sighs, then looks at everyone else over his shoulder. "Do you hear that everyone? What a fine situation this is. Our lives and the fate of all mankind rest on his shoulders. I'm guessing we'll probably all end up like Marco. Dead well before Eren even knows it."

"Hey! Eren wasn't even there when we were cleaning up. He was in a cell and then he was sent here after his trial, so of course he didn't know." I reason.

"Exactly, so stop it." Mikasa orders. "What's the point in chastising Eren now? Just give it a rest."

Jean keeps his back turned toward Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and I. "Listen, Mikasa. Unlike you, most of the rest of us aren't willing to just throw our lives away for him on a whim. We need a reason. The truth. We want to know what we're laying our lives down for. Otherwise, we might hesitate when the time is at hand. What we want is a guarantee from Eren. Show us what you're worth. Prove it to us. We're asking you to make us believe that you're worth dying for."