⚡️ Chapter Nineteen ⚡️

Start from the beginning

'Y/n!' The voice calls out again.

I look into the fire and see an image of Marco. I'm clearly hallucinating, but it's good to see his smiling face, even if it is at a time like this.

'Please don't cry. You're one of the strongest people that I've met. Just be sure to keep your eyes open and remember what all that training and hard work was for, ok? Stay safe for me, alright?' The image of Marco asks of me, then disappears.

Abruptly, both Jean and I stand up from being on the ground. We look at each other. From the shocked look on his face, I'm guessing he just saw an image of Marco too.

He gently shakes his head and makes a fist. "Hey, guys? I've got a question for you."

"Hmm?" Ymir, Christa, and Sasha all hum in question.

He turns toward the three of them. "Have you all decided which regiment you're going to join yet? I've made my choice. It'll be rough, but..." He suddenly grabs his wrist and is now shaking. "Damn it...I'm going to join the Scouts!"

I look at him with wide eyes. Is he being serious about this? He's always talked so much about joining the Military Police. Maybe...this is his way of honoring Marco?

(The flashback is now over)

"Ah hell..." Connie sighs, looking away from Jean. "Hey, Annie? Do you think Jean actually meant it? He's actually going to sign up with the Scouts?"

"Wait. Jean said that?" Armin asks, sounding very surprised.

I nod. "Yeah. He sounded like he really meant it too."

"Who cares?" Annie asks rhetorically.

"So, you're sticking with the MPs, huh?" Connie questions. "I'm really starting to think I might go that way too."

I don't blame him. Seeing Titans head on and actually seeing what they do is scary as hell.

"Tell me something." Annie demands. "If someone ordered you to die, would you do it?"

"W-What? Of course not." Connie answers.

"Well, then my advice is do what's best for you." Annie replies. "Now, what about you Armin?"

"Oh..." Armin starts. "Uh, I think I might. If the situation truly called for it and I knew that my sacrifice might save others. Not that I'd want to."

"And you, Y/n?" Annie asks.

"Same as Armin. If I knew my sacrifice was saving the lives of many, I'd do it. I'd willingly put down my life. Now more than ever..."

Annie hums. "So, you two have decided then?"

"Mhm." Armin nods. "We've planned to join the Scouts since the start."

Connie looks between Armin and I. "Come on. Not you guys too..."

"I'm surprised." Annie remarks. "For a couple of mice, you've both got guts. I'll give you that."

"Thanks. I guess..." We both thank simultaneously.

Connie shivers. "I'll never get use to when you two talk at the same time like that..." I let out a really soft chuckle.

"Oh wow!" He quietly exclaims, looking at me. "That's the first I've heard you make any type of joyful sound in six days. Am I the first one to make you do anything like that?"