It has been months since Asa had left a sleeping Keran with his brother. She spent her days lying on the floor of an abandoned place, knowing the brothers won’t be able to find her. She was left with her thoughts of the two reminiscent of her Aman, daydreaming every moment, waiting for death to take her last loved one. Those daydreams crept into her subconscious when she finally fell asleep. She would never admit it out loud, but deep down, the frequenting dreams had made her believe Keran would be the last to love her. Who else, then the bloodline of her dear Aman?
Soon, her every thought and memory had been consumed of Keran, of him finding her, their reunion of that she wanted with his doppelganger, Aman. Even though she had promised his brother that she won’t go near Keran, she couldn’t help the drifting feelings.
As usual, her eyes closed into a beautiful dream.
There was a loud knock at her door, her eyes fluttering open. She smiled, already knowing who it was. She opened it to reveal Keran; the emotions she felt with Aman bubbled up into a broader smile. “I found you.” He whispered at her, enveloping her in his arms and kissing her the way she wanted to be kissed by Aman.
“Let’s leave.” She quickly shook her head as they broke apart. There was nowhere in the world she would rather be than in Aman’s arms. “Where are you?” He whispered again, keeping her close to him. She smiled at him, confused. What did he mean? She was in his arms – where she belonged.
“Aman…” She tasted his sweet name on his tongue.
“Keran.” He said aloud this time. He stepped back, and the warmth disappeared. She suddenly became aware of all the tiny details that separated Aman and Keran, and indeed it was the latter in front of her.
Slowly, her eyes opened, and she was still left with confusion on her face. These dreams would plague her for months, and as she dreamt every night, the memory of Aman would disappear until it was only Keran in her thoughts.
Bound to solitary, she found their dream conversations as pleasant as she could. She could see the kind soul that he was, and slowly, she found reasons beyond his brother not to kill him. But after every dream, she would be left confused with his reoccurring question; “Where are you?”
Did she honestly want him to find her that bad? Did she want the brother to kill her so soon? She was barely living anymore, wasting away, rotting in a desolated place.
She sighed and took a sip of blood, drinking barely enough to keep her alive. Lately, she only had the dreams to keep her occupied.
“Asa.” She turned toward the sound, smiling as Keran leaned against the doorframe.
“You made it.” She stood and hugged him as if they were old friends. “I almost thought that you had left me alone.”
“Never.” He whispered, leaving a sweet kiss on her cheek.
“Come, sit down.” She dragged him into the sun, where they would always sit, soaking in the heat. “You haven’t finished your story from last time.” She recalled their previous meeting, cuddling up to the man as he held her close. This was, after all, just a dream, so she savored every moment she had with him, knowing that she could never have this in real life.
“All right. Where was I?” He stayed quiet for a while, his lips twitching back and forth as he thought. She smiled and reminded him. “When she saw his hut for the first time…”
“Oh, yes!... It was the first time she visited her friend in his hut, still unsure if they were still enemies or truly became friends…” His voice faded into a soothing rhythm, and she listened to it. Even though she knew the story by heart, she couldn’t help but love how he told it, an innocent beauty that was consumed by love. He would always talk about his dreams of her, but it was much different from her memories. He never saw a bloodthirsty monster, only a woman he loved. And slowly, word for word, she started feeling something as well.
When the story ended, she looked up at him happily. “Thank you.”
He smiled back, slowly inching forward, and her heart gave that stupid little pummel it sometimes did. “Where are you?”
She stared confused, the same question he’s been asking for months now.
Her eyes opened again, and she could feel the deep crease of confusion that transcended her subconscious. Her feelings were starting to overwhelm her, and with an awoken heart, she begged to tell him where she was outside her fantasy realm.
Staring out the window, in the same place she had shared with him in her dream, she sighed heavily. It has merely been months since they departed, but she wanted him to have aged already, have lived a full life with someone, and be ready to pass on. On the other hand, she wasn’t sure how long she could hold out anymore. Having lived centuries already, a day had passed as a second for her, but lately, a day felt like a year, like an endless time, surpassing her in slow motion. Could she wait a few more decades before she either killed him or ran into his arms?
Time ticked uncomprehendingly, and she stared at the sky, waiting for the dreams to occupy her mind.
This time, it was Asa eagerly waiting for Keran to appear. She smiled and ran into his arms, saturated with emotions.
“Hi.” He spoke softly in his silky voice. His smile dipped to land a kiss on her forehead.
“Hi…” She whispered back at him. They took their usual places, but this time, there was only silence between them. She gripped his arms around her, trying to remember the feeling forever. When her eyes open, all the warmth in the world would be gone again. This was the one thing she had always wanted; being loved. In his arms, all her dreams came true.
Seconds ticked past, and soon he stood up, ready to leave.
“Keran?” He turned at her question. “You didn’t ask me tonight.”
“Didn’t ask you what?”
“Where I am…”
He smiled softly and walked closer, embracing her with a warm hug. “That’s because I’ve found you.”
Her eyes opened, and she was wide awake, her heart beating intensely. She stood and slowly trudged to the door, knowing full well she was paranoid. It’s been months; there was no way he could find her now.
She stayed at the door, listening to every scurry sound. Then, after a while, the soft padding of ascending steps alerted her. She listened until the feet stopped in front of her door. She held her breath in anticipation, not knowing if she should open the door or flee. But the decision was made for her when the door handle shook and creaked open.
She stared into those beautiful green eyes that had changed over the past few months. This was no longer just an innocent bloodline she saved; this was a friend to her now.
He stepped closer, and like every dream she had, he cupped her face, a big smile displayed, and kissed her forehead. But it wasn’t like the dreams; suddenly, her heartbeat quickened, and that anticipated breath was released in shutters.
“I’ve missed you.” He whispered into her hair. “Don’t leave again.”
The fantasy outplayed in the last few minutes caved, and she tried to put up her defensive wall that had crumbled. “You have to go, Keran. Your brother won’t allow this.” She said softly, pushing him back. His brows twisted together.
“I thought things changed the last few months…?” He stares confused, confirming her speculations. They weren’t any ordinary dreams.
“I…i-it…” Her words stammered out. What could she possibly say? She had promised his brother that she would not put Keran in danger.
“It’s okay. If Keldar knew the curse was lifted, he would allow us to live in peace.”
“It’s not possible. Maybe you should leave.” She whispered, hoping her defense won’t dissolve. Keran stepped closer to her, taking her hand in his, and bent his head. While he was inching closer slowly, her heart tried to beat a million times a minute. Finally, he placed a soft kiss on her lips and poured hope into her soul.
“It is. I knew you would agree to come with me if I found a way to break it.”
“You have?” She breathed out, shocked. He smiled fully and nodded.
“Just say yes, and we could have what you dreamed about the past few months.” Every future that she had allowed herself to dream about in her lifetime was now a possibility. It was overwhelmingly beautiful for her to even think about. Her ultimate desire was suddenly a possibility.
“Yes.” She breathed out, too afraid to trust her voice. He dipped down and captured her lips, and she allowed herself to pour in all her feelings as they shared this moment, ignoring all the questions yammering in her head.

“How will this work again?” She asked for what seemed like the hundredth time. Throughout their travel to Africa, she would constantly pester him with questions about the curse and his life. Not only finding herself wanting more but being able to have more now that the curse would be broken.
She turned in her seat and looked at him. They would soon find this shaman on a small plane heading to a secluded area in South Africa. The last few days were filled with nothing but her asking questions about him.
He looked at her anguished but smiled. “Like I said, I found this shaman who was willing to help us break this curse. Since it’s black magic that got you into this, many spell casters refuse to deal with that.”
“Tell me more about you.” She whispered, finding a vulnerable part of herself to open up to him.
“You need to rest. We have a lot in store for us when we reach our destination.”
“I don’t want to rest. Tell me more.” Her defiance broke through, and she could see him crumble.
“We have a lot of time now for that. You have decades to get to know me.”
“That’s not good enough.” She smiled at him, and he caved. He cupped her chin and stared deep into the abyss that made her eyes, refusing to see any darkness, but only the light he wanted from her.
“Close your eyes.” He commanded, and with a flutter, they obeyed. His lips inched closer and agonizingly slow; she felt soft brushes as his lips connected with hers. With the slow touches, images started pouring into her head. Confused at first, these were neither her thoughts nor her memories. She peeked at him as his kisses grew. Then it struck her as a younger Keran ran with his brother in her mind; he was showing her his memories.
She saw his parents, his family, and his brother with his wife and child. Details of his life flashed by, his ascension to the Oracle’s side and his downfall with his prophecy. The nights he screamed with nightmares caused by her with Keldar at his side. She saw a young fighter slowly turn into the charming man he was today. With one weakness subduing him; his love for others.
He was broken for a long time after he was refused to be the Oracle’s legacy. His entire life growing up, he wanted nothing more than to be the following oracle. The day he received his prophecy was the worst day in his life. The dreams that he had of Asa saved him; they healed him somehow. For years the only thing that soothed him was the love that grew for her. Through the memories, she felt that love, and it was all-consuming. It took over almost every memory he had. It blurred it all into one emotion; love. He was drawn to it, created out of it. He was love in itself.
He was always destined to be an Oracle; it was what he always wanted.
In another memory, he stepped out of the hut broken-hearted. His family and pack waiting outside for the prophecy they all thought it would be. Instead, everyone was shocked when he stepped out with no paint, no pendant, and no future in the pack. Immediately the pack was in an uproar; they demanded answers; his feast was postponed until the chief – Keldar – was assured this meant no harm to either his pack or his brother.
That was the first night the dreams began; the first night, Keldar saw how devastating his brother’s prophecy was.
Keran’s embrace disappeared and with it the memories. Asa sat back in silence for a moment, creating tension that he seemed all too aware of.
“After all that…You still want me?”
“How can I not? The prophecy might have predicted my love, but I saw your life through the dreams and fell in love. The unconditional love you had for Aman; how you allowed him to be happy without you. I have seen you in the drunken stupors of Alpheus’s love and the tight embrace you shared with Akira. You accepted his love for you; why not mine? I saw you die a thousand times; I saw all your pain, all your love, and laughs. I have seen the worst and best parts of you. The strongest you have ever been and the most vulnerable. You are more than just this hybrid monster everyone sees; I saw your oddities and the beauty of them.”
His words were endearing and full of meaning. Even though he accepted every part of her, Asa only wanted him to see the good. She searched for that helpless part of her and reached up to kiss him.
A lot of her questions were answered, but the memories brought along more. For now, she would leave it, but soon, she would find out what made Keran so special.
“Finally!” Keran sighed, stretching as the plane came to a stop. He yawned and stood up, getting their minimalist luggage. She smiled at his comfort; he always seemed at ease, completely unguarded. “Let’s go, Love.” He offered a hand to her, and after a few seconds of hesitation, she smiled and accepted, shushing her heart that lilted with the pet name.
They got off the plane, a sense of accomplishment filled the air as they arrived at their -hopefully- last destination. Keran pulled her close as they walked out the hanger, kissing her head. She smiled, allowing herself this peace that would soon be permanent.
“Oh no.” Keran’s voice made her stop in her tracks, staring to where his gaze had stopped. Up ahead stood a figure, undoubtedly the form of Michael.
“Indeed, brother.” A voice traveled between them, causing Asa to grip Keran’s shirt. They turned to see Keldar staring at them, a stoic expression almost making her gulp. Fear was gripping at her as he almost seemed to have become more fierce over the past few months; the frown on his face seemed to have deepened with creases.
How could she have been so naive to let her walls down? Of course, Keldar would follow his brother!
“We found a cure; we can end this curse,” Keran spoke up, pushing Asa behind him protectively. She almost scoffed at the act. What would he do if the big, bad alpha decided to attack the immortal hybrid?
“She had centuries to break this curse, instead look at how many she allowed the curse to take!” The baritone voice boomed and gained unwanted attention from the stragglers around the tiny airfield. Keldar looked around at the humans and clenched his teeth. “We will continue this elsewhere.” Her hand slipped into Keran’s on the other side, emitting a glare from his brother, a low growl warning her to let go. Keran gripped her hand tighter in his, refusing to break their bond. If he was willing to stand up against his brother for them, then she would do the same. Keldar was frightening, but he would not scare her away this time, especially with Keran holding her so close.
“Keldar, I have found a way to break this curse; once it is broken, there is no threat to us, to her. From her.” Keran tried to soothe his brother again. He was steadfast and defiant against his brother, another trait Asa admired.
“I know the truth Keran!” Keldar’s voice rose decibels. He was inches from his brother’s face, steam blowing from his ears. “While you were running after this harpy, I spoke with the Oracle! You don’t know when or how you die! The fates keep your future hidden! Anything about her involving your future is unknown to you!” Asa stopped in her tracks, and her blood ran cold at his words. She tried to pry her hands from Keran, begging for him to let go.
“Is this true?” She asked Keran.
“What else could he be lying about?” Keldar’s gaze bore into her, but she refused to look anywhere but Keran’s eyes.
“Yes, but...”
“Get in the car.” Michael popped up from behind them. Humans are watching.” She looked around and saw the stragglers staring; some had their phones out. They clambered into the car awkwardly, unwillingly, still tucked next to Keran. There were several more eyes in the car that made her feel uneasy.
Even worse, her hunger decided to rear its ugly head at that moment, making her agonizingly aware of the time-lapse from her last decent meal. The scent of the men mixed together served as a delicacy to her nostrils, and the months she had spent starving herself filled with sardonic laughter.
“What’s wrong?” Keran asked aloud in the car, his caring face turned to her expressing face. He didn’t care that the wolves saw his emotions towards the beast.
“Leave the trollop, brother. What were you thinking going after her?!” Keldar’s voice started again. Asa gritted her teeth at the sound, both irritated and scared that he spoke up again.
“You banished the woman I love; what did you think was going to happen? That I would just move on and forget about her?”
“She agreed to it! And then broke her promise like the harlot she is!” In a second, Keldar’s face changed, and in the confined space of the car, he reached across Keran and tried to get a hold of her. She shoved her fear aside and punched his throbbing neck vein, getting the upper hand. She pushed past Keran’s body and tried to shove at Keldar. The confined space in the car kept their fight to a meager struggle.
“I didn’t break my promise! I stayed hidden. He just showed up yesterday!” She screamed in his face, trying to get him to calm down.
“You will be the death of him, and I can’t allow that!”
“Stop!” They heard multiple voices from the car as their pitiful struggle grew more aggressive.
“Keldar, she’s telling the truth!”
“I don’t care; she needs to die!” Herculean hands gripped her throat, squeezing the life out of her.
“Stop!” A resonant voice broke the hold. Keran lashed at his brother, allowing her free from the shock Keldar felt. Everyone stared at the deceitful act that unfolded. “Stop!” Keran’s voice reverberated through the car. His hands fell against his brothers’ temple, ceasing Keldar’s struggles, his eyes rolling back into his skull.
“What are you doing?” Michael asked, horrified. Asa only staring at the two brothers, suddenly wishing she had asked all those unanswered questions. For once, she feared Keran instead of his older sibling. What he was doing was new to anything anyone has ever seen in the vehicle before.
Fear enveloped every being, keeping them glued in the positions they were in. Keran, who had seemed like the weak link, was now overpowering his inexplicably more potent alpha. Keldar’s eyes started glowing with blue hues, and the car was left staring at him fearfully. A weakened Asa staring at Keldar, trying to move away from Keran.
“What is happening?” Her voice quivered as she whispered to Keran. She gulped and inched forward, taking hold of Keran’s arm. He turned around, and the same blue hues stared at her. His beautiful green eyes seemingly vanished. His face, terror, etched onto every inch, changed at her frightened face.
He jerked away from his brother. “He had to see,” Keran spoke into the silence. He seemed to turn back into the Keran everyone knew and slid into the seat next to Asa.
She moved away an inch, afraid of his touch. The roles were reversed between him and his brother, the muscular brute no longer being the center of her fears. Keran didn’t seem like the man she envisioned Aman to be, but rather her former alpha filled with hatred.
Michael looked at his alpha as his eyes re-opened, the green orbs appearing again.
Keldar sat back in his seat, the anger slowly returning. He was silent for a few minutes. The tension in the car was thick enough to drown any words. Even though he faced a minuscule defeat against his brother, everyone still seemed to fear and respect him more. No one wanted to make a peep with the alpha’s terrifying look.
“Fine, Keran, but I will not risk your life for her.” Keldar’s voice broke through the confusion in the air.
“What was that?” Michael asked the burning question on everyone’s lips.
“The magic of the oracle,” Keldar spoke up sarcastically. “Guess you didn’t lose it all then?” His rhetorical question was lost in the air. Keran’s jaw tightened as he stared ahead at the oncoming traffic.
Keldar’s gaze turned to Asa, causing his brother to throw a protective arm over her shoulder, unaware as she tensed under his touch.
“Did you know that he had abilities?” Her gaze turned to Keran, remembering their previous night with the memories he had shown. Was that the abilities Keldar was talking about? She thought back to her realistic dreams, wondering if she did indeed wonder about the right questions. Was that his abilities as well?
The look in his eyes begged her to stay silent, and it eased her fear a little. The longer she stared into his eyes, the calmer she felt; it was still Keran. She relaxed into his hold.
“No, she didn’t,” Keran responded, still looking into her eyes. Asa’s gaze broke with the lie, moving to stare at Keldar for a second before settling on the scene outside the car. She wasn’t sure if she gave away the lie or not, but the quick change in expression of Keldar told her she did. Nonetheless, no other words were spoken by anybody else until the car came to a halt.
She scrambled out, following Keran. His hand engulfing hers protectively as he stared at his brother.
“We will find the shaman; with success, break the curse, and I will see you again.”
“What happens when you only find failure?” Keldar prodded his brother.
“Then this will be the last time I see you, brother.” Keran nodded his head and turned away from his sibling, picking up his backpack and walking away, not even looking back. Asa looked between Keran and Keldar, unsure of what had been transferred between them to grant such animosity. She picked up her backpack and slowly trailed behind Keran, looking back every few seconds to see the group of men unpacking their vehicle.
Silence filled the entire trip to a cabin. The romance that had quickly blossomed from the apartment had quickly hidden behind the unknown. They stepped into the tiny place, Keran draping the windows from any prying eyes that would arrive.
“Are you thirsty?” He asked soothingly. She stood rigid against the kitchen counter, her arms folded against her chest protectively. Shaking her head, she avoided his stare; the burn in her throat was noticeable again in the enclosed space.
“You lied to me.” She whispered, not knowing where to start with what she had learned. Somehow this man always had her baffled at some point. He sighed deeply and perched himself on the counter opposite her. “That was the only way I knew you wouldn’t kill me immediately. I never ascended to become Oracle, but all the power remained. When I received my prophecy, it was so much different than anyone else. I was born to be an Oracle, but I could no longer be because of my prophecy. They had no need for an Oracle who would die after ascending, so I kept all the power that came with it; I am in all sense an oracle, but I will never have the official honor. To protect everyone, I told Keldar I had lost my magic, and the dreams are merely an after effect of my prophecy.” He slid down from the counter and slowly crept towards her, his dazzling smile failing to hide the hurt.
“I needed you to fall in love to fulfill the prophecies; yours, mine, and my brother’s. I showed him what would happen if he kept us from the shaman. If we go; you can be free of the curse; we can live a happy life...” She stared into his eyes, feeling ashamed that she had even doubted him for a second.
“I won’t hide anything from you again, I promise.” He took her in his arms, and she gripped at his enormous shoulders. For the most part, she felt safe in his arms again, breathing in his scent. She pushed away from the part that had always been dominant in her, the recluse warrior that didn’t let anyone into the high walls she had built.
Trying to hide her emotions from him, she didn’t realize his face looking intently at her. Unconsciously, she was clutching her neck, the burning hunger starting again.
“You are thirsty.” His voice lulled. She hummed in his arms, not thinking about the words. He pulled away slowly, his canines elongated, and he bit into his wrist. She stared at him, looking at the man that became precious again, a man she wanted to protect.
“Blood-sharing?” She asked, stupefied at his gesture. This was a regular activity among vampires, one which was revolting for werewolves.
“Yes, unless you don’t want to...” He hesitated and tried to hide his hand, hurt plastered all over his face. “I just thought you shared it with Alpheus, so...”
Asa wasn’t sure about drinking from him; it created a deep intimate bond, one she wasn’t sure about. She looked into his eyes, Aman’s eyes, and pushed away her doubts. Lifting his wrist, she inspected the now healed bite.
“It’s not that; surely you know what this means if I drink from you?” She asked softly, her fangs growing with the smell of blood that lingered from the drops on his wrist. Subconsciously she licked her lips, the hunger eliminating any hesitation that was left.
“I have been dreaming about this for years; I would like it if it was with me, instead of others.” She gulped at his statement, remembering he had witnessed all the times she had indulged with Alpheus and his harem. Guilt took front and center in her mind; he had risked so much for her. How could she not believe in him?
“Are you sure?” She asked, and he pulled her closer, nodding.
“Yes.” He spoke softly, sending goosebumps down her spine. She gazed into his intense eyes and bit his wrist. The wonderful liquid slipped down her throat and eased the burning sensation she felt.
He pulled her closer as if he had somehow felt the same rush as her. The intense feeling grew between them; he sighed and hugged her tightly to his body. There was a reason it was an intimate connection between vampires; it made a passionate connection more intense and satisfying. Both vampires would drink until you could no longer tell their scent apart, and with Alpheus’s harem, he had ensured his scent was overpowering with each member.
Keran pulled her away and kissed her fiercely. In her hungered haze, she nibbled on his lips until she drew blood. Only when he jerked away had she realized what she had done.
“I’m so sorry-.” She tried to apologize, but his lips were on hers, devouring again. The hunger was still aching within, but she sighed into his arms, giving in to his passionate kisses.
His passionate kisses grew more hungry, and he stepped away from the counter, backing her into a wall. With ease, he kept her captured between the wall and his body. His kisses trailed over her jaw and slowly crept to her neck; she could feel his canines prying at the skin, trying to return the intimate bond, completing the blood-sharing.
An image flashed in her mind; it was bright, and she struggled to make out who the figures were. It was them, Asa and Keran, but they looked different…older.
She pulled away from the kiss, his magic disappearing as well. “What was that?” She asked, confused, not knowing what to make of that scene.
“If we break the curse, that could be our future. We can grow old, have a family, live a peaceful life together.” He stepped back, breaking their connection. He closed his eyes, rubbing at them. “Are you afraid now?” HE asked silently, his eyes opening to reveal the blue hue entwined with his green eyes, creating an enigmatic look.
Asa stepped forward, coaxing him to look at her. She kissed him softly, trying to convey she felt no fear toward him. Trying to convince him and herself.
He made her feel less of a monster; why couldn’t she do the same for him?
“No.” She whispered, hiding her face in his chest, hugging him tightly.
He converted to his usual goofy self. “We will have a great future together.” He moved her face to look at him. She only saw the young man that couldn’t fight her back the very first time they met. Smiling, she nodded.
Everything will be okay.
“I’m going to call the shaman and find out when we can see him,” Keran spoke, moving away from her.
“Call him? The shaman owns a phone?” She asked, dumbstruck by the thought. “How sure are you he is a real shaman?” She inquired, following him into another room.
“Not everyone is stuck in the 1800s, Love.” He joked.
She shoved him, rolling her eyes. The normal Keran was back, the one she could easily like. “Try a few hundred years more.” She walked outside and sat on the porch, watching as a few people passed from nearby cabins.
It was relaxing and beautiful, a serene place where she could soak in the warmth. Very soon, she could have more days like these. She smiled at the thought.
Time ticked by; unsure whether it was minutes or hours that had passed, she was lost in the moment and the afterthought of what she saw. If they do break the curse, she could have everything. The vampire side of her could die, leaving her wolf side able to age alongside Keran.
She opened her eyes, and her happy thoughts disappeared as a figure stood between two cabins. She recognized him immediately, dreading the conversation that will come. He walked up to her, and she trained her eyes ahead. He occupied the seat beside her, his harsh tone seeming softer than she was accustomed to.
“You haven’t drained my brother of blood yet, have you?” His voice was serious.
“Only a few drops.” She retorted, poking at the angry bear that was Keldar.
“You’re joking.” He asked disgustedly, trying to catch her gaze. This was the usual reaction from wolves; disgust. She didn’t dare share that his brother had almost drunk from her as well, almost giving in to blood-sharing traits vampires enjoyed. Instead, she stared into his eyes, unwilling to back down.
“Next time, I will choose one of these innocent locals. How about you pick one?” She replied sarcastically. His eyes revealed the revulsion as he realized his brother had offered up blood.
“That’s sickening.” He breathed out as if his own oxygen was repelling. “You don’t even like wolf-blood.”
“You don’t know anything about me.” She defended.
“I know that you will get my brother killed.”
“Once we stop this curse, your brother will be at no risk with me involved.”
“Yet you got involved with him now before the curse broke?”
“I-,” She pursed her lips at his remark. He was right; she broke the promise she made to him and his brother. Even more, she had put everyone at risk these last couple of days. So she stayed quiet, looking anywhere but at the man.
“As I said before, you had centuries to break the curse but never took the chance. How much could you really love someone then?”
“I tried once before.” She quipped. This proved that he really did not know her; he judged her on things he knew nothing of. But, as ignorant as he was, she wanted him to know she wasn’t just this monster. And with a far-off thought, she wondered if Keran knew every part of Akira’s story or if he simply knew his name. Keldar stared at her, unsure of what to say, so instead, she started her story.
“There was a man that I had loved so much that I wanted to break the curse; at the time, I had no idea what triggered it. No vampire or werewolf would help me. Shamans and castors all turned me away because of what I am.” She thought back centuries; the first man that had ever embraced her and loved her. Aman had been dead for almost two hundred years, and she had long since fled far away from the pack territory, hunting deep in the mountains of Iceland; invincible, and in the most savage state she had ever been; Hyram’s killer was nothing but a puppy against who she used to be. Leaving bodies of werewolves and humans alike, she was ruthless in her heartbroken state. Her vampire nature is uncontrolled and empowering her werewolf hunger. In a way, it was Akira that had tamed her monstrous beast that everyone still feared today.
“His name was Akira.” She looked at Keldar, his face was emotionless, but he was hanging on to every word she said. “He was an infamous vampire hunter in the highlands, thinking he could kill the hybrid that was uncontrollable. For years he had circled me, and I had watched as he fell into all my traps. He was merely a plaything that I enjoyed torturing, but one night he found me and daggered me, thinking he had killed the malignant hybrid. I woke up near his camp, and he was almost shocked to death. I loved the chase, and he loved my dexterity. As the years rolled past us, playing cat and mouse, the chase had turned into something else. Slowly he brought me back from my vicious nature, and we grew to respect each other. We fell in love.” Keldar snorted at the thought, and Asa glowered at his interruption. Taking a breath, she continued. “The moment we realized we cared for one another, we were hooked. We couldn’t get enough of one another. We became invincible as I started helping him hunt vampires.” She awaited comment from Keldar, but he seemed appreciative of hunting vampires.
She smiled slightly as a layer of the alpha revealed. He wasn’t alone in the appreciation; Akira had admired her killing spree just as much.
  “I knew of the curse; I knew Aman had died because of it, and I went in search for a way to break it, but no one would help me; shamans, witches, castors, enchantress, oracles, whatever you want to call them. They all refused to help the abomination; I went back to Akira defeated, unable to find a solution.” She almost didn’t want to continue. When she had left Akira, promises of returning curse-free, she had traveled the world alone for years. She wanted the love that Akira offered. After spending just a day in his arms, she knew that was her ultimate desire. She wanted, no, needed, to be loved, but as the curse promised, she wouldn’t know love for long.
“I was ready to walk away from him that day; I just wanted to see him one last time.” She gulped back tears at the thought of Akira and how she stumbled upon him. “He had died shortly after I left to break the curse. I was gone for more than two years, and he was rotting away. He died all alone and probably afraid.” A tear threatened to stain her cheek, but she stared at the sky, pushing it down with all her painful thoughts. She didn’t want Keldar’s pity; she wanted his acceptance.
“If I can break this curse, you have nothing to worry about. I’m not letting Keran get into any trouble until it’s done. You know he has no way of defending himself: he’s safer next to me. I know you hate me, but I can’t go one more day without being loved.” She felt more vulnerable in that moment than she had when he tortured her.
A few silent moments passed as both tried to wrap their thoughts around what she said. Asa didn’t realize how much she wanted to protect Keran, even though recent events showed he might not be as feeble as she thought.
“I believe you care, but the oracle showed me what would happen if the curse isn’t broken; he will die,” Keldar spoke, his voice deep and calm, resounding the dominance he possessed.
“He showed me a future where we could be happy. It is possible; we can break the curse.” She tried desperately to convince him. Finally, he shook his head and let out a forceful chuckle.
“So he does still have all his magic…” That’s when she realized her mistake; she had accidentally uncovered Keran’s secret.
Another moment passed until he spoke again. “Do you know what it will take to break the curse?” Keldar asked quietly, looking into her eyes. She shook her head slowly, knowing that Keran has purposefully kept that secret to himself.
“Figures. Of course, he won’t tell you.” He hunched over, clasping his hands, pondering whether to tell her.
“What’s going on here? I thought you abandoned us.” Keran said, stepping through the door. Asa jolted; her mind had wandered so far she didn’t even hear him.
“I can never abandon my family.” Keldar stepped over to his brother. “Tell her how the spell works.”
“Must you intervene in everything, Keldar?” Keran sighed at his older brother, an annoyed look on his face. He turned towards Asa; “We need to go before nightfall; the shaman is waiting for us.”
“Let me take your place, brother.” Her eyebrows scrunched together at Keldar’s words. She seemed to have missed a lot that was unsaid between the brothers.
“You don’t care about any of this. Why would you take my place?” Keran rolled his eyes.
“You’re my brother. I promised to take care of you. Let me take your place.”
“No.” Keran shrugged and took Asa’s hand, walking into the brush.
“I wasn’t asking.” Keldar’s dominant voice boomed again. He fell into step next to her. She looked up at him, wondering what he was adamant about.
“Don’t you dare use your rank to order me out of this spell.”
“How else will you listen? You’re being childish!”
“You’re overbearing!”
“I’m not the love-sick idiot that’s willing to pay for something that might not even work!”
“Because you’re just the greatest person on earth, right?! You never made any mistakes regarding your wife!” Keran shouted his words with all the air in his lungs. Their red faces glaring at each other as the flung words hovered in the air.
“Asa stood there, unsure of what to say and taken aback by what was said. Her heart feeling the sting with the mention of Keldar’s wife. She looked up at the older brother, wanting to soothe the lines that seemed to emit pain on his face.
He turned to Asa, a determined look forming. “He has to kill an innocent soul.”
Her head whipped to Keran, “Are you serious?” She demanded.
“It’s nothing, Asa.”
“Tell me, great Keran, have you ever killed anyone? Let alone an innocent soul?” Keran visibly gulped at the taunt. He was an innocent soul. He would never hurt anyone; she couldn’t imagine him ever killing someone. However, breaking the curse meant that his soul would be cursed in return; would he ever forgive himself…or forgive her?
“I can’t let you do that, Keran,” Asa spoke. She hesitantly took his hand. “You should have stopped looking for me.”
“No,” Keran cupped her face, “Look how far we have gotten. I can’t lose you now. To have the curse broken is worth it.”
“I can’t allow you to damn your soul just to spend a few years with you.”
Keldar stepped forward. “I’ll do it. I can take his place. That way, I know my brother will be safe the rest of his life.” He offered himself, stepping up to be the hero for his brother’s villainous lover.
“I can’t ask that of you…” Keran spoke softly.
“I can,” Asa interjected. “This way, I am assured that you will never harm me when I am detached from your brother’s mortality.” Keran looked at her as if she had betrayed him, but this was a solution to all the problems they had. Keldar’s eyes squinted at her until a smirk appeared.
He turned to his brother smugly. “Once a monster, always a monster.”
He turned on his heel and started up the hill again, leaving Asa with the wrath of Keran she started to realize he possessed.
“My brother?! You can’t even stand the sight of each other, no you’re going to kill with him?!” She heard Keldar’s snickers in front of them. As hesitant as Keran was, he did not stop her when she started to follow his brother. Instead, he fell into step next to him. His words contradicting his actions.
“It’s nothing. This way, we can break the curse and ensure you don’t give up your soul to save mine. I can care less about your brother’s soul! He offered it to us on a silver platter.” She shrugged at him, hoping he would see her reasoning.
“My brother!” Keran shouted, anger laced in his words. Keldar turned to his brother, his alpha persona stepping up. “We will do the spell, and you will accept it, Keran.”
The look on Keran’s face proved he had no choice. If he disobeyed, he challenged his alpha, and he respected his brother too much to disobey. Either way, he would be foolish to challenge the strong alpha. Asa stared at Keran and couldn’t help but notice the hint of relief that washed through him. Yes, he was an innocent soul; he was being spared a kill and a challenge without having to prove any cowardice. Asa turned her head toward the eldest brother, wondering how both had such great love for each other, yet one showed more.
They walked until they reached a small village, huts spread out sporadically. They immediately attracted attention from the villagers as everyone stared at them.
Keldar stepped forward, assuming his leadership, and the locals started to speak in a foreign language.
“Silapha ukubona wakho sangoma.” Asa’s head whipped to Keran as he spoke the native language. Confused, she turned to Keldar, wondering if he knew of his brother’s linguistic skills, but he seemed as shocked as she was.
One of the tribesmen stepped closer and gestured to them. “Ngilandele.”
“Let’s go.” Keran grabbed her hand and stepped toward the tribesman. “He will take us to the shaman.” Keldar trailed behind them, slowly staring at the tribe.
The man pointed towards a small hut that had smoke puffing out of it. “Ngiyabonga,” Keldar spoke, bowing to the man. They entered the small hut, and immediately it reminded Asa of that of the Oracle’s.
“Sibusiso?” Keran called out. A young man drew their attention as he emerged from another room.
“My friend.” He walked closer and embraced Keran. He was dressed in what would seem to be a skirt made out of beads. A crown-like object on his head was made of animal skin that matched his shoes. His hair was grown long with beads in between. He had very vibrant colors flashing about with accessories adorning his body. His thick accent was woven with each word. “I will get some women to help you get ready for the ritual.”
“Wait.” Keldar stepped up, looking as out of place as Asa felt. “My brother and I had changed our minds; I will be taking his place in this spell.”
The shaman shrugged and smiled. “It is your choice, my friends, as long as I receive my payment.” He turned back to Keran, reaching out his hand, a knife in his grasp.
“What payment?” Asa asked the man, stepping towards Keran protectively.
“Relax, Love. He just wants a bit of DNA.” He took the knife from the shaman, and carefully vain cut a piece from his locks. The shaman smiled and pointed the knife towards Asa.
“The lovely Asa, I presume?” She took the knife hesitantly, looking between the man and Keran.
“Why do you want our hair?” She inquired, knowing full well what possibilities were there with her hair. Was breaking the curse worth it?
“Werewolf DNA is an essential part of some of my rituals, and I have very few candidates willing to give me a piece.” He saw the question on her face and overzealously replied, “No harm will come to you, I promise.” She cut a piece of hair, deciding that he might not even know what to do with hybrid hair, and handed it to him. He smiled gratefully and passed the knife to Keldar.
“What will her DNA do for your rituals? Assuming you know the truth about her.” Keldar questioned, cutting his hair without the vain precaution Keran and Asa had taken. An almost bald patch in his hairline peeked at them, and she wanted to chuckle at the youthful look it gave him.
“Of course, I know about the only hybrid in existence. I assure you, we do not care of what she is made up of; wolf blood runs in her veins. What we need from her is what will grant me the power to break this dreadful curse...brooding brother...” She sighed, relieved. That means he doesn’t know as much of the hybrid as he thought. The man nodded and took the knife, tapping Keldar on his chest in a playful manner. Asa felt at ease at the moment, seeing Keldar uncomfortable because of the flamboyant man.
He clapped his hands, and women came in with animal-skinned clothing. Asa pulled her nose, dreading to climb into the clothes, but the shaman warned unless she wanted blood on her clothes, there would be no other option.
They changed fast and emerged from the hut, staring at the awaiting shaman. Asa turned to her left, seeing Keran. The hut and skins already paralleled her life as a mortal too much. Now she had to stare into the eyes that looked like Aman’s. She gulped and stared at the other relative, but she could only see the current alpha, no remnants of her previous one.
The shaman whistled lowly and strung a satchel over his shoulder, walking into the tall trees with a canopy of leaves. Keran took hold of Asa’s hand, and she locked away the part of her that wanted to pull away.
They walked deeper and deeper into the forest, the sky darkening as her thoughts did. Each thought pummeled into overdrive, and she starting to rethink the situation. There were too many unanswered questions. Too many things she didn’t know and was unsure about.
She was brought back from her reverie as the shaman spoke. “Only the two who will be linked can go further with me.” Linked? An unanswered question popped up.
The shaman tapped his fingers together and stared pointedly at Keran. He nodded his head, slipping his hand out of hers. “Come back to me.” He whispered as a soft kiss graced her forehead.
He radiated fear; he was scared she was going to run again. Did he notice how she felt since the incident in the car? The ugly monster named guilt forced her to nod, accepting that she will be his when she returns.
Keldar cleared his throat in annoyance. “Time is running.”
“Take care of her, please, Keldar,” Keran begged as he stared at his brother.
“I tried and failed to kill the beast; what makes you think anything else will succeed?” Keldar shoved at his brother, destroying the touching moment they had. He grabbed Asa’s arm and ushered the shaman to walk again. Tearing away from Keldar’s grip, she turned back to Keran; he stood sorrowful as if awaiting bad news. She smiled at him one last time and continued the march through the woods.
“You don’t seem to get along. So why agree to bond?” The shaman broke the silence after a few minutes.
There it was again; bond. She wanted to ask, but instead, Keldar interrupted.
“Otherwise, she will kill my brother.” She glared at him, annoyed, for both the distraction and the comment.
“I promised you I won’t. This ensures that I can live out my life without wondering if you will kill me.”
“Tried that and failed.” Keldar bent to the shaman, joking with a staged whisper. She looked at him, wondering how he seemed so carefree, moments before he would have to kill an innocent soul.
The shaman whistled lowly. “You have problems, my friend.”
“Tell me about it.”
“I am envious of your loyalty to your brother. What you are giving up for him; taking his place to save this woman you clearly hate.” She stared at Keldar, not realizing how much he was doing for her. Keldar has killed just as many innocents as she has, and this shaman was turning him into a martyr.
“He is the only family I have left; I would do anything for him,” Keldar spoke, seeming shocked at his own confession.
“Don’t worry, we will get rid of this...killing feelings. We don’t want anyone to have awkward family meetings.” The shaman joked again. “So, you know what to do once I have started the ritual?” He stopped and turned to them, Asa shaking her head the same time Keldar nodded. She grew more annoyed that Keldar knew this information.
Not only was she walking blindly into this ordeal, but with no other than a man that hated her every fiber.
The shaman smiled at her and spoke, “I will do a spell to start the bond when you feel the pull; transform.” He stepped up to her, and she noticed how short he was. He cupped her face. “You have to push yourself to the furthest possible point of transformation; otherwise, it will not work. The bond I make will allow him to take most of the transitioning.” She looked over at Keldar, trying to process what it all meant.
“Once you are at the height of transition, you will hunt. I need you to bring back the heart of your conquest. When I burn the heart, you can turn back, and the link will be formed. You will no longer be destined by your prophecy but by each other. If one dies, so does the other.” Keldar nodded his head as if he agreed to breathe.
“What do you mean? No one mentioned that!” She quickly interrupted as she realized what it meant. “I’ll go from cursing the one brother to the other!” She swiveled to look at Keldar. “Do you know what this means?” She questioned, grabbing his arm. “The curse will now be yours.”
He laid a hand on the one that gripped him tightly. “No,” he resonated, looking deep into her eyes, he spoke clearly; “I will never love you. The curse can be broken, and my brother saved. If that means linking you to myself, I’ll accept that.” He gave her a forced smile, his eyes refusing to say anything else. “No one will try to kill me anyway.” He added as an afterthought.
He would never love her. The thought floated in her head, pushing toward a decision. If he never loves her, the curse won’t take him. Ensuring all their lives would be saved. Suddenly she saw why he was adamant about taking his brother’s place. In her mind, reprimanding Keran for his stupidity as well.
“The shaman said you will take my pain through the transition. After that, you’ll feel the full wrath of what my being is. Are you sure you can take that? And then be linked to me indefinitely?” She asked quietly, taking a small step closer.
“I know what I agreed to when I traded with my brother, Asa. Seems like you will be my undoing after all.” He stepped away from her, finally letting go of her grip.
“You don’t have to do this. We can find another way.”
“There is no other way.” He gripped her shoulder and pushed her down, sitting next to her. “At least now my brother will be out of harm’s way.”
“I cannot ask you to take the curse and my pain. This is more than I assumed it would be.”
“maybe you shouldn’t assume things.” He stared at her, and she knew he meant more than this moment. “What did you think it will take to break a curse like this?”
She started to shake her head, still on the fence to follow through with this plan., but he spoke again. “It’s okay. I am ready.” He took her hand and squeezed tight as if to give her extra strength, not knowing that his sacrifice did the opposite. He turned back to the shaman. “We’re ready.”
The shaman nodded and reached into his satchel, revealing a rabbit and slicing it open. She turned away and stared at Keldar, not sure of what to say or do in the uneasy state he left her in.
The shaman started to chant, building a bonfire as he threw oddities into it. Then, he stepped closer and smeared the rabbit’s blood over their faces. A part of her reminding her of her lack of sustenance.
The ground seemed to shake, and animals screeched in the forest; the earth seemed to be a part of the ritual. Then the first pain lashed at them, Asa’s scream deafening that of Keldar’s. She rolled into the ground, the blood smearing onto the earth as her hand gripped Keldar’s, worried about the pain he felt.
His hand jerked hers, a pulling sensation taking over her body. It was something she had never experienced before, the insides of her body wanting to flee in every direction as her bones imploded.
“Transform!” Keldar shouted towards her before his face started to morph, letting go she could see his transition. She did her best to ignore the searing pain and dug her hands deep into the ground. Her veins popped with disgust as beastlike limbs struggled to emerge. She was left spliced between wolf-form and human.
The fur that sprouted was few and far between, mismatched colors dull and lifeless.
Asa grabbed her skull as the bones broke, transforming halfway before the vampire venom healed them, breaking again and healing, revealing a deformed monster. She pushed through the pain, forcing herself to transform as far as possible. Meanwhile, her fangs protruded, her werewolf side pushing against vampirism, fighting for dominance. A complete set of teeth of a feral animal appeared the subtle heterochromatic eyes made a full-on attack, highlighting her battle on the inside.
The beautiful fur that adorned Keldar was barely visual on her body, misshaped limbs unveiled beneath the few tufts of hair covering her.
A full-grown wolf sat next to her, the shocking shaman gaped at the hideous sight Asa had transformed into.
She had no idea what was running through Keldar’s mind, but for a moment, she wondered if he would refuse to continue the spell. , But, proving her wrong, he started to trudge away. The shaman swatting for Asa to follow.
She limped after him, every second longer in this form demonstrated to be more wearisome than the last. It was the furthest she had ever transformed. Although she had full power of both sides raging within, the continuous breaking and reshaping left her in more pain than it was worth.
She took a few steps with her paw-like feet, but a sudden snap left her tumbling to the ground. More deforming happened as she tried to speak and apologize for her weakness, but inaudible gurgles left her. But a low growl was heard as Keldar stepped over her. He lightly bit her clawed hand, nudging her to hold onto his hair. With disfigured fingers, she gripped onto his thick fur, halfway on top of his humongous body.
Slowly he started to trudge, all Asa’s strength filtering to hold tight. He quickly sped up, and soon the smell of humans overtook her senses. Asa tugged at his fur, pulling him in the right direction.
In her weakened state, she could feel the urge to drink burn down her throat. Barely having anything before they met up with the shaman, the months of limited blood had finally caught up with her.
They stopped at the edge of the woods, looking at the tiny village, entirely hidden from any by-passers. Time ticked by as they watched for their prey to turn up. Asa unknowingly gripped tighter on Keldar’s fur, trying to restrain the urge to pounce and drain everyone. Noticing, he nudged at her softly, almost afraid that he would hurt her in such a weakened state.
She growled lowly, squeezing her eyes shut. All she had to do was hold out a little longer; that she could do. She breathed out slowly, refusing to inhale any more of the delectable scent. When she opened her eyes, it was as if mother nature was sending her a present; a young, innocent girl walked by, a pail of water on her head.
Asa turned to Keldar, and he nodded, confirming their target. She pushed away from him, ready to charge at the girl. Instead, Keldar stopped her, nudging her behind him, and without a fight, she allowed him to pounce into sight. A loud shriek left the girl as a grizzly monster uncovered from the shadows, stalking closer menacingly. With a push, Keldar was on top of the girl, the water falling to the floor with a loud shatter. He gripped her neck, her loud shrill turning into a gurgle as her body starting to turn limp.
Immediately voices were heard, and footsteps trudged closer. Keldar making a quick escape as he dragged her dying body into the woods. Just as he disappeared from sight, a few men approached the scene.
Keldar stepped up to Asa, offering the girl to her. For a moment, she was rooted, the smell of blood overtaking her senses as she watched it dribbled down her neck. She reached her abominable hand forward, wanting to taste the crimson color. A deep growl broke her daze, and she stared into Keldar’s green eyes, reprimanding her to fulfill her need.
Instead of reaching for the blood, she gathered force and plunged into the girl’s ribs, scraping past the bone and retrieving her heart. With an organ in Asa’s hands, the girl gave into death, and without grace, her body was left in the dirt.
Staring at the heart, Asa clutched it close to her own, gripping tightly to Keldar, ready to flee from the nearing men. If she hesitated a moment more, they might have been caught.
Keldar bowed down and swooped her up, allowing Asa to fully rest on him. The strength he was still able to produce astounded her. Admitting to herself that he exceedingly was the most magnificent beast next to her.
Keldar raced through the woods, broadening the space between them and the angered villagers. After a while, he slowed down, hearing the crackling of the bonfire.
Keldar stopped before they were in sight of the shaman, allowing Asa to get down; the only light available was the orange hues that the fire illuminated. His snout prodded Asa’s arm. She stared at him through half-opened eyes and finally saw how he had weakened as well. His legs trembling, tail almost tucked away. He took a step closer, pressing his forehead against hers, a silent moment passing between them as they realized they were nearing the end.
They walked next to each other until they saw the shaman and collapsed. Then, reaching out her hand, Asa presented the heart.
She saw the shaman take the heart and start to chant again through her blurry vision, throwing them with tiny seeds. He turned and threw the heart in the fire, causing a loud bang to resound in the woods. He stared at them. “It’s done. You can transform back. You might need to rest for a while.” Slowly, the shaman started to pack his things, not even paying attention to them.
Slowly they changed back, and the bliss overtook Asa as her bones stopped re-growing. Finally, she closed her eyes, enjoying the absence of pain.
“Asa?” She heard Keldar’s voice. She didn’t bother to open her eyes, at peace trying to gain her strength. Strong arms surrounded her, pulling her into a sturdy chest, causing her eyes to flutter open. She reached up to hold onto the arms, looking into Keldar’s eyes.
“Asa? Drink some blood; you need your strength.” Her eyes widened with his words, unable to fully process. The face he made turned her mind upside down.
“I need you to drink.” She didn’t hesitate, not even a little. Not how she hesitated with Keran. Silently, she reached for his wrist and bit into flesh, closing her eyes at the intimate moment. His hand stroked her hair, soothing her. She drank slowly, building up strength. There was nothing but comfort as she lay in his arms, slowly letting each drop wash away the pain of her transformation. Keldar held her protectively in his arms, tenderly smoothing her wild her down.
“Take as much as you need.” He whispered into her hair, calming her down, but she noticed how his voice seemed much weaker than usual. She let go, not even close to satiated, pressing her face into his palm. His fingers intertwined with hers, and she opened her eyes to gaze at him. Without thinking, she brought up her own palm, bit into it, and offered it to him slowly, almost scared that he would throw her to the ground, disgusted.
But he kept her gaze and brought his lips to her wrist. He drank as she had, and in a few seconds, the strength built up between them. She could feel him getting stronger, their bond turning deeper than a simple spell cast by a shaman.
He drew away and softly laid her hand between them. A few seconds passed with them looking at each other. Then, reality crept back to them, the sounds and the smell of the forest throwing them into a guilt-filled world.
Keldar released his grip, and she slowly backed away, the space between them growing like light-years as she moved inches. They moved slow and deliberate around each other, a more profound connection as their blood flowed through each other, leaving them orbiting around each other, meticulously aware of the other.
Keldar was first to break their gaze. Looking around, the bonfire was now nothing but smoke trailing to the sky; the shaman all but disappeared. He looked at her one more time before stepping away, marching back to where Keran was. Asa trailed after him as if in a trance. She kept rubbing her arms, remembering Keldar’s around her, gripping tightly to where his lips were placed.
She stopped short when she saw Keran, exactly where they had left him. The guilt overtook her, and she broke out in a cold sweat, almost kicking herself for wanting to hide behind Keldar. Since when had he become her safe place from the other brother?
Keran, unaware of any changes, ran toward her, gripping her tight in a hug. His mouth was moving, but she barely heard anything, staring at Keldar.
Keldar’s eyes grew cold, and he shook his head, and in every way, they were connected, she knew he was warning her to stay silent.
What could she say anyway? How would she explain to Keran that she had bonded with his brother, and now she was left with an aching feeling to return to his arms?
“What took you so long? The shaman came back a while ago. I was scared something happened.” Keran spoke softly, making her gulp harshly.
“I would have run right into the woods if he hadn’t stopped me.” He whispered softly this time, pushing her away; he inspected her face. “Are you okay? Do you need some blood?” She felt nauseous thinking about it, how she had betrayed his trust. Quickly she shook her head, leaving Keran to look at her confused. “You must be weak; you barely drank anything today.”
She gulped down her fear, vowing that he wouldn’t know what happened between herself and Keldar in the woods. “I’m okay. I think I just need some fresh human blood for now.” She spoke weakly, looking over his shoulder to Keldar.
“I think it is best if we go back home,” Keldar spoke up, gaining his brother’s attention.
“You want us to go back to the pack territory with you?” Keran asked, shocked. Keldar looked down at his brother, then stared at Asa.
Afraid that she might give away her dreadful secret, she turned away from his intense stare.
“She is of no threat anymore.” His words rang in a way that made her feel vulnerable; in truth, he had seen her at her weakest. “Her life is now linked to mine; I will not allow her to wander around.” Keran smiled down at Asa with glee, looking like a child on their birthday, unaware that anything was amiss.
He took her hand, following Keldar. They left the seemingly deserted village, the wild thoughts roaming in Asa’s mind, keeping her from asking any questions.
They walked back in silence to their little private bungalow, stopping to greet Keldar.
“Have a good night.” He spoke to them, his eyes lingering on Asa.
“Thank you.” Asa spoke softly, “you too.”
“See you in the morning.” Keran’s voice had its usual joy in it. Asa listened as he walked through the door, silently watching as Keldar walked away. Her thoughts haven’t seemed to die down at all, seeming to race with her heartbeat.
She sat down on the porch, unwilling to walk into the enclosed space, having to endure the guilt of looking at Keran.
She clutched her legs close, allowing her eyes to shut. It was strange, having changed so much in such a short time. As if the importance of life itself has changed, and yet she didn’t feel any different. It was as if the spell hadn’t worked on anything but her heart.
Footsteps came closer, and she breathed deeply, ready to admit everything to Keran and walk away.
When she saw his face, she changed her mind; deep indents worrying his expression. “Are you okay?” He asked, leaning against the door.
She nodded slowly, looking away from the eyes that were Aman’s.
“I think I’ll go hunt.” She stood up and started to walk away, hearing his steps follow. Turning to stop him, the worrisome eyes grew wearier.
“Are you going to come back?” He asked quietly, reaching out to clasp her hand. Asa looked down at their interlocked fingers, wondering what to say.
“Yes.” She decided on the answer, turned, and sprinted into the dark.

It was a rush, feeling the wind brush against her cheeks, inhaling the smell of the earth deeply. The atmosphere tasted like freedom as she ran voluntarily across the plains of Africa, enjoying every moment.
She kept running for what felt like hours, never feeling exhausted or heated. Asa found herself running next to galloping bucks, her spirit as wild ass theirs.
Finally slowing down, she sniffed the air, the smell of blood begging her to quench her thirst. She stalked in the direction of the blood until she found a small campfire. Hunching in the bushed, she stared at the young group of teenagers and licked her lips.
A decent meal awaited her. She walked closer, her claws extending as she salivated. Fortunately, the group was drunk and unaware and only realized their impending doom far too late. Shrills rang into the night as Asa slashed throats and drank her way through the group.
She licked her hands, sitting near the dying fire, satiated. Her mind had to stop wandering to the day’s events, and all she thought of was the blood. The crimson color covering almost every part of her body. Her hair matted to the animal clothing she still wore.
She stuck her tongue out, lazily catching the dribble when the pounding questions belatedly drifted to the surface. Moving her hand away, she looked at the blood on her skin, wondering about her craving.
How did Keran see her in the future, aged, when she was still a vampire? Was immortality not the epitome of the curse?
Standing from her spot, confused and angry, she started to run as fast as possible toward the answers.
Asa cursed herself within every tread as she grew closer, yet she was still so far. Her little hunting trip has left her further away than she originally planned.
The light of dawn trickled over the earth as she pounded faster to her destination. With one last push of her strength, she found the bungalow.
Checking for no humans to witness her state, she trudges toward the cabin.
“Asa?” She whipped her head around, seeing Keldar and Michael loading the vehicle behind the bungalows. “What happened?” Keldar stepped closer.
“I hope the fact that I smell human blood is merely a coincidence,” Michael growled, throwing a bag onto the ground.
“I’m still a vampire,” Asa whispered softly, the sound carrying to the men.
“I can change that for you.” Michael pulled a stake from his sleeve, progressing toward her. She stepped closer to Keldar subconsciously.
“Keran!” Keldar shouted toward the bungalow, waiting for his brother to dash out.
“Chief…” Michael spoke, looking from Keldar to Asa, then to Keran as he strutted into sight.
“Asa… you’re back.” He looked her up and down, seeing the state she was in. “I take it your hunt went well?” He smiled at her as if nothing was amiss.
Asa opened her mouth to ask the pondering questions, but Michael’s voice shouted above hers. “You knew she would kill? What about the innocents she killed?”
Keran rolled his eyes as if Michael was the absurd one. From the corner of her eye, Asa looked at Keldar, wondering if he would step in as he usually did, but he kept to himself, arms crossed, staring ahead.
“She won’t kill innocent people, Michael. We’re past that now. Broke the curse and everything, remember?” Keran spoke sarcastically, looking at each person. He turned to Asa, a broad smile on his face. “Right?”
All eyes turned to her, even Keldar’s, and she almost gave in under the scrutiny; what would they do if she tells the truth?
“Right.” She spoke softly, looking between the men.
“Great, let’s go.” Keran smiled as the other two ventured away, Michael muttering under his breath to Keldar.
Feeling more guilt-ridden than before, Asa decided to keep her mouth shut about everything instead of taking a few minutes to get herself ready for the trip, which she could do at least.