Chapter 7: Playing Along & Secret Introductions

Louis’ POV

I approached her room, feeling eager, excited, and terrified all at once. I knew this might happen eventually; her waking up, but I didn’t think it would be as soon as today. I didn’t know what to expect. Would she be fully awake? Would she up and talking? These questions came to a halt when I opened the door a crack. I peeked in just enough so that I had Paisley in clear view. She was awake; eyes open, but still lying down. She was talking to the doctor, probably being informed of all that had happened those four short weeks ago. I closed the door gently, luckily going unnoticed by both her and the doctor.

I found myself wondering how she must be feeling. Is she scared? Confused, hurt? I couldn’t help but think I was the cause of all of this. I felt sick to my stomach.

I had already called both Evelyn and her mum and they both assured me they would come right away. Although it was going to take her mother a bit longer to arrive, considering she was coming from Manchester.

The boys had all left, wanting to give me some time alone, but I promised them I would call and tell them all of what happened.

I sat against the wall just outside of Paisley’s room. I brought my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on top. Just as I was about to give Evelyn another call, the little redhead herself came sprinting down the hall towards me. I stood up as she neared closer.

“Did you go in and see here?! Did she freak out?” Evelyn immediately began her interrogation.

“No, only family is allowed to see her first. I told them that you were her sister so you can go in and see her now. I’ve called her mum as well and she is on her way here.”

The overconfident, slightly controlling girl I had gotten to know so well these past four weeks, seemed almost flustered. She nervously brushed her hair out of her face before returning her gaze to me.

“I should wait. Her mum should be the first one to see her.” She finally spoke, her voice seeming distant as she eyed the door to Paisley’s room.

“Are you sure? She probably won’t be here for another 20 minutes or so.”

“I’m sure. It wouldn’t be right if I saw her before her mum did.”

I nodded, letting her know I understood. Things fell silent between us as Evelyn kept her gaze on Paisley’s door. I could sense that she was growing restless; there was no way she would be able to stand here for the next eighteen minutes.

“Do you wanna take a walk? Ya know, just to kill some time?” I suggested. She looked up at me; an almost relaxed expression now covering her face.

“Sure,” she said, unexpectedly adding a friendly smile at the end.

We walked in the opposite direction of Paisley’s room; wandering down unfamiliar hallways. Another lingering silence grew between us as we walked.

“So, what am I going to do? When Mrs. Scott gets here she’s going to expect me to go in and see Paisley.”

She slowed her pace, trying to conjure up a plan no doubt.

“Honestly Louis? I have no clue. I guess we’ll have to see how everything pans out. Paisley is a smart girl and she might catch on. She knows it would break her mother’s heart if we confessed the truth of the matter, so although she might also be a tad creeped out about the whole thing; she might still play along.” “What if she doesn’t?” I asked hesitantly, nervous of what she might say.

“If worse comes to worse, we can just say that she has slight amnesia.” She stated in a serious tone. I wanted to laugh at the absurd idea but I knew it wouldn’t help on my part.