Chapter 5: Meeting the Mum & Learning About the Past

Louis’ POV

“Mr. Tomlinson Mrs. Scott, Paisley’s Mother, is here.” the petite redheaded nurse spoke softly into the room. I had dozed off for a bit and I guess I kind of lost track of time. I rubbed at my tired eyes before blinking a few times. I noticed Evelyn was still sound asleep on the little sofa that was up against the gray colored barrier of the hospital room. She decided to stay and help me out a bit when Paisley’s mother arrived. I got up off of the uncomfortable wooden chair I was previously sat on, and walked over to Evelyn’s sleeping frame. I tapped her shoulder lightly; as I saw her eyelids flutter open. She quickly sat up and rubbed at her eyes just as I did only moments ago.

“I’m sorry to wake you love, but her mum is here.” I informed her meekly. To be honest, I was a tad bit intimidated by the 5 foot 6 brunette sitting before me. She may look pretty and innocent in a physical sense, but her attitude is not to be messed with without some sort of consequence.

“No it’s fine. Have you talked to her yet?”

“No I think she’s still in the waiting room.”

Both of our heads whipped to the side when someone lightly tapped at the door. I inhaled heavily before exhaling slowly. What have I gotten myself into?

“C-come in.” I stuttered slightly with my words. The metal handle on the door turned as a tall blonde entered the room. She looked almost exactly like the girl lying unconscious in the hospital bed. Big brown eyes, long sandy blonde waves reaching her mid-back; the only difference that I could tell were the defined creases in her face most likely a result from her aging years. She hadn’t even attempted to make eye contact with neither Evelyn nor I; rather looking blankly at her lifeless daughter. She walked a bit closer, setting her jacket on the chair. She brushed a strand of Paisley’s hair away from her face, the bruises and scrapes suddenly becoming visible. Her back was turned to us but I could only imagine what her facial expression showed. She lowered her face pressing a kiss to Paisley’s cheek before standing straight once again. I heard her sigh lightly before she turned around.

To my surprise she had a smile on her face as her gaze fell upon me.

“Hello Mrs. Scott it’s so good to see you.” Evelyn sweetly greeted the woman, opening her arms for a hug. Mrs. Scott closed the space between them engulfing the tiny girl in a tight embrace.

“It’s good to see you too Ev.”

The two parted, furthering their distance again. When her soft gaze directed at me for a second time I smiled nervously not quite knowing what to do. She walked towards me with welcoming arms extended. I was soon wrapped in a tight hug resembling the one she had just shared with Evelyn. I wrapped an arm behind her giving her a reassuring rub before we detached from each other. She placed a hand on either side of my shoulders, holding me out at arms length. A soft smile fell upon her lips.

“And you must be Paisley’s boyfriend?” she inquired enthusiastically. I nodded timidly, slightly wishing I had never done this.

“You look really familiar…I’m sorry what did you say your name was on the phone sweetie?”

“I’m Louis.” I informed her through a toothy grin. Her face lit up as if she’d hit the nail right on the head.

“Call me crazy, but are you by chance the Louis from that band?”

“Yes...I am.” I replied shyly giggling.

“Typical Paisley, neglecting to inform me she was in a relationship with a popstar.” she stated sarcastically. I chuckled nervously, not wanting a silence to fill the tiny room.