Gingerbread

Regulas Black (Marauders era) x Hufflepuff!Reader

Requested by Anon​

December event

Regulus looked up from the book he'd been peacefully reading as he heard a small cry in the crowd of people heading down for lunch. He'd stopped on a stone bench and had been waiting to have a word with his brother who had yet to appear.

"Oh! Excuse me! Pardon me. Please bloody well move! Thank you. Sorry!" He heard fluttering through the crowded sound of students heading down to the hall for lunch.

"(Y/N)?" Regulus said as he watched you crashing through the crowd in a hurry.

"Oh! There you are Regulus." You beamed a smile at him and hurried over.

"Were you looking for me?" He asked as he closed his book and set it beside him.

"Yes. The Hufflepuffs have permission to put up a tent on the grounds so we can have a cooking contest. We're making gingerbread towns. We get to invite one person each from another house. I wondered if you wanted to join?" You asked. Regulus spotted his brother behind you and waved him over.

"I'll come." Regulus agreed.

"Oh great! I'll go and tell McGonagall! She'll be watching over us and wants to know who will be coming. She says if it goes well it might be something that she does for everyone every year!" You said with excitement.

"Do what every year?" Sirius asked as he waved his friends off.

"The Hufflepuffs are having a gingerbread contest." You explained. Sirius nodded, turned away and glanced around.

"Hey! HEY! Richard! You're in Hufflepuff. Let me be your partner for the contest." Sirius shouted. You couldn't see who he was speaking to but you did see a thumbs up above the crowd going to the hall.

"Well, I'm going to have lunch. I'll see you later then." You said cheerfully. You met Regulus in the entranceway to the grounds and hurried out through the snow.

"I've seen a few other people going in." Regulus muttered as the two of you hurried towards the tent.

It was pleasantly warm inside and everyone had a matching set of equipment and ingredients. You and Regulus made quick work of the baking and shaping the biscuits. It was much easier with a wand to shape them into the right shapes. As you began to build Regulus pipped with the massive bag of white icing. As you built you noticed that your walls would fall or the roof would slip and there would be less icing than you'd seen Regulus put on. By the time you'd finished building the bag was almost empty and there was barely enough to spread over the base.

"Are you eating my frosting? My gingerbread village won't have any snow." You complained. Regulus gave you a guilty look and tried to answer but he had a mouthful of icing.

"I'm sorry! It was just so good." He said. Glancing around he tapped the base of the gingerbread house and you watched as the icing grew thicker and spread more evenly. There was a commotion over Sirius who had managed to collapse the whole of his team's gingerbread house. "There. I don't think anyone saw that."

"We just need to use what's left to stick on the sweets. I think if we crush the candy canes we could make a nice pathway." You said and Regulus agreed. The two of you worked hard until McGonagall called out that time was up. You and Regulus managed to win second place. Winning you two butterbeers for your next trip into Hogsmead.