Chapter 5: The Revelations

All rights reserved ©2015 by MsDreamerGirl84

FYI: There are Russian words along the story. Thank you to @mindurway for correcting it for me. She's my Russian Editor. Thank you again.

"The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to us, they find their own order the continuous thread of revelation." - Eudora Welty

Third Person POV

Pushkin Russia, Markovich Palace

"Мы нашли вашу внучку ,  ваше Высочество !" (We found your granddaughter, your highness.) The butler bowed in respect to the grand duke and spoke with so much passion and high regard.

"Как она выглядит?" (What does she look like?) Nikolai Dmitri Markovich, Grand Duke of Russia spoke regally, hands clasps on behind his back as he stood few centimeters away from the high mirrored window walls in his study, watching his vast estate with an empty feeling. He needed an heir to reign over his estate. 

When his daughter died of depression because of his doings, he felt nothing but regrets. He lived with remorse. A life full of misery. Sending her unwanted grandchild away, was the worst decision he ever did which caused him to lost his only daughter. She was supposed to marry the prince of France but she was impregnated by one of his respectable Lords. He sent him off when the Grand Duke found out that they were discreetly seeing each other without his awareness, and where the Lord died in a battle. He thought he succeeded in separating them but soon after, his daughter, Alexandra Tatiana Markovich, Grand Duchess of Russia, the only heir of Nikolai Markovich, died a year after I sent her daughter away, due to severe depression that caused her to end her own life. The old Duke blamed himself for the death of his only child and soon regretted sending away the only legacy his daughter left, Tatiana Anzhelika Markovich. 

"Она точная копия покойной великой княгини Александры, Ваше Высочество !" (She is the split image of the late grand duchess Alexandra, your highness). The butler replied respectfully. Then his face saddened with the thought of the sweet, charming, witty, and strong-willed Duchess.

Since the passing of the Duchess, the estate has become gloomy. Everyone was moving like a robot. The old Grand Duke changed tremendously, from warm to cold. When his wife died in childbirth, he spent his time raising the child that only reminded him of his late wife. She was born spoiled and strong-willed that even the strict Grand Duke couldn't bend when she reached marrying age. She grew beautifully, that every prince of different countries wanted to catch the interest of the wild Duchess. But Lord Benedict Romanov, a respectable knight caught her attention and she set her eyes on only him to the extent of defying his father's wish. 

Their love was blessed with a beautiful girl, but the Grand Duke discreetly paid and threatened her daughter's lady-in-waiting (Companion) to take the baby away before the scandal will reach the ton. The Grand Duke promised to support the baby until she had a degree but then Maria died and the granddaughter ran away and from then, they heard nothing about her. 

The Grand Duke rarely comes out from his study and he was always drinking liquor which he never did when her daughter was still alive.

"Продолжайте следить за ней и докладывайте мне обо всём. И принесите мне все  её фотографии, я хочу знать  как она выглядит и как у неё дела. " (Follow her and update me often of her lifestyle. Get me a lot of photos of her, as I want to see how she looks and how is she doing.) He ordered in his authoritative tone.