Ch 9: Time For Courage

Start from the beginning

''Jaejin-ah....have you ever been in love?'' In the lifetime that we have known each other Jaejin has not once dated someone. Now that I think about it, this is also the first time we actually openly talk about things like this. 

''I have....but now that I think about it I'm not sure if I can confidently state that it was a strong feeling of love as you seem to have.'' It made curiosity flicker within me. Jaejin is caring and handsome, he has a fun personality. Perhaps he doesn't see it but he is really popular on campus. Even the girls in my friend group have had a crush on him even once. 

''Who was it?'' 

''You.'' The fact that he didn't even hesitate made me choke up.

ME?!

I wasn't sure what kind of face I was making but I could feel my inside tingle and my ears burning up. He laughed, that radiant smile of his was always able to make others feel that way as well. 

''Don't feel burdened. It was literally way back in middle school.'' He leaned forward pinching my cheek in an attempt to wash away the shock from my face.

Middle school?

As I started to analyze his behavior towards me in middle school it started to make sense at some point. There was this particular season where Jaejin was oddly obsessed with me. He would come around often and occasionally gift me the weirdest things. Like wildly picked flowers on his way to school. Or his favorite drink during lunch. One time he gave me a caterpillar. I wonder if it was because I said I liked butterflies. 

''Oh...'' As I started to recall those moments his smile grew wider but this time from embarrassment. 

''Don't start remembering those things!'' He hid away behind his sleeve making me laugh. He has always been an odd but cute kid.

''Anyways! It was just an innocent crush. You were the only female friend I had, so I guess it was bound to happen. My crush on you didn't last that long.''

''Well, I remember you treating me that way even back in high school,'' I spoke this time it was his face reddening. 

''Okay....it was long, but eventually, it faded away. Now I don't feel that way anymore although I have a feeling that Hanjae still thinks I do.'' 

''Hanjae does?''

He avoided my eyes, it seemed like something came to mind that he didn't wish to talk about. 

''You know that night when we....had that argument with Hanjae.'' Oh yeah, Hanjae told me he already talked things out with Jaejin.

''We talked things out...the way the conversation was going it seemed he was convinced I liked you romantically. Lecturing me about how he didn't trust me to be able to take care of you, but I made it clear to him that I didn't see you like that anymore. Hanjae was aware of my feelings for you back in middle school. As a matter of fact, back in those days, he was the only friend I could talk to about it. So I always pestered him with my sweet talking about you.'' 

''You know when I made it clear that...it's not like that. He seemed strangely relieved.'' Cause he sees me as his little sister. It's normal for me to see him behave so overprotective. 

''But what I mean to say is...I think you will regret it if you don't let him know how you feel.''

''Why? You didn't tell me either it doesn't seem like you regret it.''

''That kind of love and this love is different. Besides..who says I don't regret it.'' Rather than showing me a sulking face he showed me a smile.

Perhaps he is right...What if I really will regret not telling him this?