Chapter Six

Hey guys, so here it is. This chapter isn't as long as I expected it to be but here it is, as promised some answers from Amelia. This is actually basically an Amelia-centric episode but also has Meredith in it, a relationship is made in this chapter and it just makes me happy. I hope you all enjoy it and thank you to those of you who commented on my last chapter, it just fills my heart and makes me want to write even more when people say they enjoy my writing!

...

Meredith yawned, walking around the hospital. Her day wasn't supposed to be like this, she was supposed to get off and spend the day with her daughter and husband but instead got guilted into taking Miranda's call.

She felt her stomach growl, her hand moved to her unformed bump. Anytime she was hungry, it was always at night and hospital cafeteria food don't sound appealing at all. She reached into her pocket, taking her phone and looking through her contact list. She slipped into an exam room, she assumed it was empty but by the annoyed sound coming from the curtain, she knew she wasn't.

She wanted to just leave, she was going to leave, until the voice that came from behind the curtain spoke and she couldn't.

"Damn it," the female voice said, Meredith heard an ultrasound machine as she suddenly found herself pulling back the curtain.

"Meredith," the woman said, she sounded horrified and scared all at once.

"Amelia?" Meredith questioned, she noticed her shirt was pulled up and the sticky substance was spread across the bottom of her abdomen.

"I can explain," Amelia started, placing the transducer probe back on the cart.

"No need to, just um... I know this is strange, but it just looks like you could use some help," Meredith offered. She knew what was happening with Amelia and she wanted to help.

"I liked you better when you were the distant sister-in-law but if you could please, I just can't do it myself," Amelia said, Meredith realized she was shaken. Meredith just nodded, washing her hands and sitting on the rolling stool.

Silence filled the room as Meredith started the ultrasound. Meredith felt a connection forming with Amelia, she glanced over to notice Amelia wasn't looking at the screen. She wanted to ask, but she couldn't. Meredith's eyes began to mist as the image appeared on the screen.

"Um, you can look if you want. You seem pretty far alo-"

"13 weeks," Amelia cleared her throat, her face still turned away from the screen.

"There's a strong heartbeat, how long have you known?" Meredith asked, she wanted to know more, anything.

"For a while, I just wasn't strong enough to get an ultrasound, is it healthy?" Amelia asked, still keeping her gaze far from the screen. Meredith felt her heart sink, she didn't know the situation at all, but she felt for Amelia.

"It is, the arms and legs seem to be developing, the heartbeat is strong, looks perfectly healthy to me," Meredith said, she watched Amelia's face as she turned slightly. Amelia's eyes filled with tears as she looked at the screen, Meredith saw her relax the slightest bit.

"Is this... I mean is this why you came here?" Meredith asked, regretting it as soon as she asked.

"Yeah, just let's drop it. Please don't tell anyone, not yet" Amelia begged, asking Meredith as not only a friend, but as a sister.

"Not my place to tell anyone, my lips are sealed," Meredith replied, she had so many questions, but she could bombard Amelia with them.

"Can I tell you something?" Amelia asked, grabbing the towel from the counter and wiping off her abdomen.