Ch. 5 - Schooled

Mount Justice; August 3rd,
13:06 EDT

Kid Flash and Aqualad are playing virtual air hockey, with Miss Martian from the side. Kid Flash gets one right past Kaldur and into his goal. Kaldur looks stunned for a moment, then glares competitively at Kid Flash, who is eating a banana.

Recognize: Superboy; B-0-4

Glaring as he appears in the Zeta Tube, he stalks across the room.

"Hi, Superboy." M'gann tries, as Superboy walks right through their game board. Causing Robin to step out, looking at Superboy in a cross between curiosity and slight glare. "How was Metropolis?" M'gann continues, even as Superboy walks past them all.

Black Canary clears her throat behind Kid Flash, catching their attention as she and Martian Manhunter and Hex step out of the shadows. "Ready for training, everyone?" She questions. M'gann is the first to react, as peppy as ever.

"Black Canary! Uncle J'onn!" She goes up and hugs her uncle. Though he doesn't reach out and embrace her back, he does duck his chin to meet the top of her head before she steps back.

"M'gann, I was in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd see how you were adjusting." J'onn says, placing a hand on his niece's shoulder.

"A few bumps, but I'm learning." She assures, as Superboy watches from the hallway entrance. About to walk away, but Canary sees him as J'onn replies.

"That's all I can ask." He says with a smile.

"Stick around." Canary calls out, getting Superboy to stop in his tracks. "Class is in session." He turns back but crosses his arm over his S. Canary walks to the center of the ring, turning the tiles pure white with a blue barrier. "I consider it an honor to be your teacher." She prefaces, turning towards the larger grouping of teens as she pulls on her jacket slightly. "I'll throw a lot at you, everything I've learned from my own mentors." She continues as she pulls off her jacket, getting it just beyond the tear that was showing off some bandages wrapping around her arm. She grunts through the pain but finishes taking it off. "And my own bruises." she confesses, holding the wrapping.

"What happened?" M'gann asks, worriedly.

"The job." Canary replies simply, throwing her own jacket away. "Now, combat is about controlling conflict. Putting the battle on your terms. You should always be acting, never reacting." She tells them before lightening her tone slightly. "I'll need a sparring partner."

"Right here. Yeah!" Kid Flash calls out, raising his hand, as he still has food in his mouth. Stepping up, Aqualad frowns, and Robin has a sly smirk. He meets her in the middle, finishing the banana in one bite and swallowing before he continues. "After this..." he starts, aiming his banana peel for the garbage. "Swish," commentating as it makes it in. "I'll show you my moves."

Hex couldn't help rolling his eyes at his teammates' attempt to flirt with his mentor.

Black Canary smiles knowingly as her eyes narrow. She throws a quick jab, which he blocks, but finds his feet being taken out from under him. Before even he can react. He hits with a thud that causes M'gann to look worriedly, Aqualad to lean back, Hex to be unimpressed with his effort, and Robin to frown with confusion.

On the floor, in big letters, reads: Kid Flash. Status: Fail

"Oh. Hurts so good." He manages to still be his joke making self, even when he's in pain.

"Good block." Canary admits. "But did anyone see what he did wrong?" She asks the others as she helps Kid Flash back to his feet. Robin was all too excited to answer this one.

"Ooh, ooh. He hit on Teacher and got served?" He asked, making Hex cover his mouth to hold in his laughter.

Kid Flash holds the shoulder that hit first, which just happens to be the one he blocked with as he looks back, annoyed and horrified that Robin said that. "Dude!"