Chapter 11: Touch of Darkness

Start from the beginning

"Who is there?" I ask first then kneel down to touch the surface until I find a sharp piece of wood.

A voice doesn't answer but my ear is following their loud steps. Spinning in a circle like a fly without a head was manageable while I could still hear something, but as if they were taunting me, the sound slowly died out.

A wood was lightly resting on my hand when I tried to close my eyes and let my mind focus more on hearing than of the fact that I cannot see. It strains my senses less, and it would work.

It did work.

But too late.

When a step was too close to react , a stranger's hand was faster than me when the wood got ripped out of my grasp. Shocking revelation and the fast pace of the situation never allowed me to even move before my hand was curved and placed on my back when someone pulled me back.

Harsh force was holding me in place and all the resistance died when I felt one arm around the top of my chest and the other at the bottom of my abdomen. Strong grip around my hand while the other was still secured behind my back, now with an escape plane shorten with his chest.

When I open my mouth, they are dry. "Landon."

He hums into quiet air and my relaxed body.

It's not that shocking to feel like that next to a man that can take everything away from you in less than a word.

I know all he has to do is call his people and say 'kill' and Leah is done. My child's fate is in his hands.

Yet his presence is only terrifying as it used to be the first time he was this close. Enough to feel welcome in bloody arms, far gone to be disgusted with yourself.

"You guessed?" he asks, his lips right over my ear when I shut my eyes down, nodding.

"Yes."

Another, longer and deeper hum. "You sure it wasn't this?" I feel his hands clenching around mine, head moving further down the side of my face. "My hands on you, just like the old times."

Even my breath shudders, eyes refusing to open and meet the situation. "It wasn't."

The warmth is around me, especially when I feel his head drop down on my shoulder when his nose moves the farmic to the side.

"Then this doesn't feel familiar?" he says and kisses my shoulder.

His lips are so light, tentative and scared, or maybe I misread the situation and that is the description of my mind currently.

Landon was a gentle lover, kind arms that even now don't feel as threatening as my frame drowns in it when he places another kiss. More follow, and my lips are sealed away from reality.

Prepping poison on my skin is as burning as you would think. Then the danger turns into horror, because I am quiet and he isn't stopping.

Mouth is traveling over, now starting to nib over my skin and I want earth to swallow us both down so that I could enjoy this without the shame.

But if this life has taught me anything, it's that I cannot escape the truth.

I will never escape the fact that I have loved Landon Thorne.

"Stop."

When I mutter the words, he is listening so fast that I just wished he would deny me, give me more reason to hate him, but he doesn't.

If describing being kissed on the neck is impossible, then the lack of it is even harder. Despite wanting him to continue, I will not let the man who is putting my daughter's life at risk do this.