Scheming Matchmakers

Brin practically ran to the library, excited to tell Frank and Rose what he discovered.

"Scorpius got his soulmark!" Brin practically cried as he charged towards the table at the corner. Rose broke into a grin when she saw him and Brin's heart skipped a beat.

"What? That's great!" Brin deflated immediately, of course she was happy to hear the news, but why can't she be happy to see him?

Frank rolled his eyes at the interaction between these two. Oblivious. And they consider themselves matchmakers?

"So you are saying that Al is Scorpius' soulmate?" Rose exclaimed, drawing Frank out of his internal reverie about hopeless couples. 

Brin nodded. "Yeah, like, how obvious could it be? His soulmark was a cauldron surrounded by plants. Herbology and Potions! And he even told me that he was falling for Potter!"

Rose squealed.

Frank gaped.

Brin smirked.

"Look! Malfoy's here!" Frank turned around to see that Malfoy, was, indeed, reading. Luckily, he was too absorbed to notice the three of them gaping at him. However, there was a crack in his usually cold and sarcastic mask. 

He looked shaken.

After a while, he slammed the book shut and stormed out of the library, swiping at his eyes. Brin hurried over and picked up the book.

"No wonder he looked heartbroken. He must've discovered his soulmark."

The book was Cases of Broken Souls. 

Soulmates were conceived as a perfect match of true love that can stand the test of time. But what happens if your soulmate dies? Or you just happen to be trapped in a soulmate triangle? Or you suffer from being away from your soulmate for too long after both of you shared your first pleasant moment?

Rose gasped. "Oh my god, does Scorpius thinks that Al is in a soulmate triangle with him? He is such an idiot! What are the chances of that happening?"

"0.0007%. But in typical Scorp fashion, he assumes the worst." Brin sighed.

"So what now?" Frank asked, irritated by the oblivious pair of boys.

"Make Albus come to his realisation." Brin said dramatically.

"And?" 

"We separate them for a week. Enough to make them hurt and seek out each other, but not enough to make them have strong bursts of magic, that takes a month."

"Genius."