That Which Burns Twice as Bright

Sometimes, life isn't fair. Or, well, it'd be better said that is doesn't seem fair at the moment, because all experience the same amount of joy and fear, no matter who we are. That's why we stay sane, because our minds are tailored to experience pain.

Another day here, one less day there.

Karkat has been working at his job for another week, gradually being more presentable, despite an even growing disapproval with Strider's lifestyle and lack of privacy. They have settled into a metronome of remorse, however, Karkat disapproving of having to risk going through Dave's room to clean up, and Dave starting to become sick of playing with such an unwilling partner.

————————————————————-

"You know you're going to need to get up some time." All Karkat hears as he passes by is a groan. "I'm running low on laundry, too"

No reply. Predictable, at least.

————————————————————-

"By the way, Catkin, the boss mentioned to let you know you're doing a lot better."

"... Don't call me Catkin."

"I'm calling you Catkin."

Argh. Every freaking time... It's better than some of the other nicknames, though... And at he brought it with good news too... You know what? You're going to let them call you Catkin, at least for now.

————————————————————-

"So, how was work?"

"Same as usual."

"It was 'Same as usual' every day now, even day one, certainly your life can't be that boring."

"You're wrong, it is, so shut the fuck up."

"Whoa, hiss to you too. "

"Did you look around?"

"Umm, for what? Mood management medication?"

"No, asshole. For a bed to sleep on."

"Look, if you want a bed you can-"

"No, I mean a cat bed. You offered to get one, but I haven't heard of it sense."

... Dave laughed, even if he tried hiding it under a smug smirk. "A cat bed? Ever hear what a joke is?"

"Yes, I know what a joke is, asshole, but I want something to sleep on that doesn't strictly include the reliving the memories of the fallen, and I also want some dignity and organization for once."

"Ooookay... We can visit some pet store sooner or later and you can browse what they have to satisfy your.... What even is that at this point? A kink? A fetish? The first signs of Psychosis?"

"It's called a small budget preference. Also, we're visiting it sooner rather than later."

Dave suppressed a laugh. Again. "Wow... You're actually serious. Okay. That's new. Probably the beginnings of a mental illness. I'll give you some credit, I expected you to be slightly more sane when I saw you..." Dave paused, the seemed to change into a slightly more passionate version of himself. "But, yea, we can probably get you a dog bed or something in a couple of days."

"... Thanks... Asshole." You're oddly touched by his words. It's hardly the best case scenario, but... He gave you a blanket when you were freezing, and is giving you something to sleep on despite not wanting to sleep with him... You, feeling slightly defeated, walk slowly to what you've started referring to your feelings pile... In testament to some of the memories that are most distinct when you are so close to your friends... That asshole. That's all you can think, as you stare at him, trying to look angry when you really just feel loved, from across the room, curled up on your duffel bag of memorabilia.

"Stop lying." Damn, he looks so smug.

"About what? I'm not even talking!" Dammit, he can tell, can't he?

"You know." He leaned off the door, turned around, and went in his room. You swear you saw a smile... Not even his smug or ironic smiles... You think he just genuinely smiled at you. Fuck him. Not literally, though... Fuck, now that that's on your mind... Seriously, not literally.

You look through a couple of your pictures before you take your signature afternoon nap. You always were fond of Gamzee. He was an extra challenge, needed extra care. Dammit, you miss him. You miss all of them. You close your eyes and tighten your lips as you try to hold back your tears. You really shouldn't be remembering them. It'll only hurt.

But you still can't help but look though them. It's hardly anything that should be meaningful. Mostly stuff taken by Kanaya as you all annoyed each other, and she stayed a little bit distant. Lots of piles of shit with piles of people on and around them, and a couple pictures of all of you focusing on your gaming, mostly. She seemed to capture everyone's personality so well, the lighting, their blush, how focused they are... And, there you are, in the middle of all group pictures, as usual, super focused and tryharding to make sure everyone enjoys the session and everyone survives the raid. Once again, you never thought much of this stuff when she gave them to you, but she always said I'd appreciate them most.

Did she know?

————————————————————-

Author's note:

Back by popular demand... Damn, you guys are great, I see each of your guys' comments as you post them, and each time I think a little bit more about the story... I'll try keeping y'all in my mind more, aswell as this story, 'cause after rereading it several times... I forget how quality this is, not even in an ironic sense either... I, once again, apologize for any drop in quality or consistency as I'm rusty at this.

Oh, and, just to clarify, at the Halloween party, -omitted in revising mild plotline spoilers, gotta keep this Homestuck quality writing, even if it's goddamn self-reviewed fanfiction-

BTW, guys, I'm so proud to see how many people enjoy this. <3

P.S. I intend to add a second part 'cause dramatic ending, but I can't have two drafts at once on the same story it seems, which is stupid.