Separation and Skydivin'

Betty tucked the last of her underwear into her suitcase, pulled her hand luggage across the bed towards herself and began to pack her knives, guns, and holsters. Coat, she reminded herself, grabbing one out of the closet. Bucky was stood in the bedroom doorway as she turned, taking in her suitcase with a confused expression.

"You're leavin' again?!  What did I say this time?" He asked, a little panicked and she hurried across to him, placing her hand on his arm.

"Baby, no, I gotta go to London, remember?  Maria Hill asked me to help them with a trainin' programme," she reassured and he relaxed slightly.

"That's now?  It's sooner that I thought." He tried to hide his despondent expression but she saw straight through him.

"You sure you're OK with me goin'? I could stay..." She tilted her head to the side, analysing him.

"No, Doll, it's fine, honestly.  I'll just...hang with Yori." He grinned at her but she wasn't convinced.

"You can tell me if you want me to stay Buck."

"I always want you to stay but you got a job to do." He insisted.

"Well...alright, if you need me just call.  I'll be back before you know it." He nodded and left her to finish her packing.

They said their goodbyes with soft kisses and whispered words of love, even though they were the only two people in the apartment. It wasn't lost on Betty that this time it was her that was heading out on a mission, leaving Bucky behind. It pulled on her heart strings and she almost called off the whole thing but finally managed to convince herself that perhaps a couple of weeks apart might be a good thing. Who was she trying to kid?

The journey on the quinjet to London was shorter than she expected, especially with training plans and personnel files to review.  Her pilot was a young agent from New Jersey who had a ready smile and asked her questions about the Battle of Wakanda, and the Battle for Earth. She was respectful in her inquiry and Betty answered her happily, making her laugh when she described how Bucky picked up Rocket and spun around with him, taking out aliens like sitting ducks. She could never convey with words the horror of battle, masking with humour was easier for both of them.

The facility they landed at was small and almost as well-equipped as the one in New York.  It was situated in the countryside past the outskirts of London and Betty was in awe of all the green space, even as it was dressed in the colours of  late summer and early fall. Thanking her pilot and leaving the jet, Betty was met at the entrance to the facility by an attractive woman of around the same age, well, physically at least. Her sepia skin shone in the late afternoon light as her warm chestnut eyes crinkled with the smile of her greeting. Betty took her offered hand and shook it heartily.

"Hi Agent Barnes, I'm Agent Kahn but please, call me Samira.  Welcome to England!"

"Betty, and it's my pleasure. I've only ever been to the city before so this is a nice change." Betty gestured at their surroundings.

"I guess you're right.  When you're here all the time I suppose you take it for granted. Do you have plans to visit any tourist hotspots whilst you're here?" Samira asked, adjusting the soft blue scarf she wore around her hair.

"Not this time, unfortunately.  But seein' just this little part makes me want to come back and explore some more," she grinned.

Betty's phone buzzed with a message and she pulled it from her pocket to read it.

Going to talk to Sam. Will call you later. Miss you already.

She smiled affectionately and tapped out her reply.