Goats, Girl Time and Ghosts

Betty looked down from the hillside towards the small hut near the river. It was the last one on the edge of a sprinkling of huts, with a small enclosure to the side. The gate to the enclosure was open, allowing the goats it must have contained to wander freely but they hadn't gone far. They were clustered around the crouched figure of Bucky, who gave them food and scratched their heads. A couple of the village children were perched in a tree, watching Bucky with fascination. Betty indulged herself for a moment longer and then made her way down the hill.

Bucky's serum-enhanced hearing picked up on her presence before she reached halfway. He stood and brushed off his hand onto his thigh, nudging an over-eager goat out of the way with his hip, and then said something to the children, who ran away laughing. He gave her a wave, which she returned and then rested his hand on his hip as he watched her approach. Betty could have just teleported to him, but she needed the walk to calm her apprehension. She'd not had any contact with him for over a month, since her outburst in the palace, and she wasn't quite sure what reception she'd get.

She breathed a sigh of relief as she got close enough to see the warm smile on his face.

"Hi," he said simply, as she reached him.

"Hey," she returned, her voice surprisingly even. "How's it goin'?"

"It's...good. Quiet, calm..." I miss you...

"You got goats?" she gestured to the animals around them and then chuckled at the obviousness of her statement.

"Yeah," he rubbed the back of his neck, "a friend told me to."

"I didn't think you actually would," she laughed.

Betty analysed his features. He did look calmer, more at peace with himself, and she felt a sense of relief. It wasn't fair on him for her to be selfish, but she couldn't help but ask.

"How's the memories comin' along?" She tried to sound nonchalant, as if she wasn't hoping for a particular answer.

"They're sporadic, but I still write everythin' down just in case."

She took in his open smile and there was no underlying tension and definitely no signs of the recognition she longed to see in his eyes. Burying the old familiar disappointment deep where he couldn't see it, she nodded and returned his smile, stroking the head of one of the goats that butted against her leg.

Bucky muttered something in Wakandan to the animal and shooed it away with an affectionate tut before turning to her. "Do you want a drink or somethin'?"

"Sure, why not." She followed him as he headed off towards his hut and he brought them both a glass of juice. She didn't know what it was, but it tasted amazing, and she let out a noise of satisfaction.

"It's really lovely out here, so different from Brooklyn," she said as he took a large swallow of his own drink.

"Yeah, I like it. I feel comfortable here," he nodded.

"I can tell," Betty chuckled, gesturing to the traditional Wakandan clothes he wore.

"Well, when in Rome..." he shrugged with a smile.

"Have you been back to Birnin Zana?"

"Only to pick up some supplies, I prefer the open space out here."

"I understand. The hustle and bustle of the city can get a bit much. I, umm, I see you've figured out one-handed hair tying..." she said, gesturing to his hair.

"Oh," he looked sheepish as he reached back to touch it, "one of the women in the village did it for me. It fell out and was getting in my eyes again."