Bombs and Bucharest

Bucky looked down at the phone in his hand and shrugged at the message he just read before letting out a snicker. She just couldn't help herself, could she? He thought.

I read an article in a journal that said eating plums could help with memory loss. Thought it might be useful.

I wonder if it was the American Journal of Innovative Medicine...he mused and then frowned. Why did he think that and why did it make his brain itch? He didn't have time to dwell on it in any case. He was starting his shift at the construction site in thirty minutes, and he didn't like to be late. He didn't like to be early either. Always on time, always did just enough, never too much. Kept his head down under the radar, got paid cash. He was as settled now as he was going to get for a while and at least he had a place to be able to sit and think. A place to remember. The only thing he should do is get rid of that damn burner phone, but he still couldn't do it. On random days he'd find himself tapping out a message and tried to ignore the curious feeling he got in his chest whenever he saw the blinking notification to say that she'd replied.

Betty flew to London with Steve and Sam for Peggy's funeral. The church was packed, a testament to how loved Peggy had been. Steve steeled himself to be a pallbearer, as requested by Peggy's family, carefully carrying her casket through the church, with tears unabashedly streaming down his face. He sat after, Sam between them, as they listened to the eulogy. Betty was as surprised as Steve and Sam to find out that Sharon, Agent 13, was actually Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece. Her speech was lovely, strong, and passionate, just like Peggy. Sam handed Betty a tissue towards the end, and she received it gratefully, wiping the hot tears from her face.

Betty had already spotted Natasha in the crowd, the ex-spy obviously wanting to be seen. She nodded at Betty and held up two fingers, indicating that she wanted Betty to give her a couple of minutes with Steve. Betty acknowledged her request and waited outside in the churchyard, Steve and Natasha emerged from the church soon after.

"Bets, I'm gonna get Sharon back to her hotel, OK?"

"No problem Steve, Sam's stayin' in London with you, but I need to head back soon. Its that alright with you?"

"Absolutely. Thanks for being here Bets," he said, drawing her into his arms.

"She was my friend Stevie; it was the least I could do."

"See you in a couple of days," he replied, moving away from her and turning towards the gate where Sharon was talking to some guests.

Betty turned to Natasha. "I'm on my way to the UN now," the redhead spoke, "I don't suppose you're changed your mind?"

"Not in the slightest," Betty shook her head and then sighed regretfully. "Nat, I don't want this to..."

"It hasn't. It won't. Ever." Nat interrupted, pulling Betty into a tight embrace. "You will always be a part of my family Betty, no matter what."

"Likewise," Betty replied, feeling the tear well up again. "Look I gotta go. There's a quinjet with my name on it."

"Same," Nat smirked. "Take care of yourself Bets."

"Always," Betty said over her shoulder as she walked away.

A few hours later, Betty had situated herself, with coffee, in Bren's workshop, sitting in companionable silence with her friend. She was flicking through some articles on PTSD, hoping for some more insight to help Bucky when she heard Bren's sharp intake of breath.

"What's up Bren?" Betty asked, sipping her drink.

"You're gonna want to see this," Bren breathed, flicking on a holo-projection of the tablet she was holding.