Part 5

Something rippled through him. Satisfaction. Pride, certainly. But something else. A desire for more. He wanted more. Craved it. Needed it. The other cats cheered his name.

"Brambleclaw!"

"Brambleclaw!"

He lifted his head high and caught sight of Squirrelflight. She caught his gaze and murmured "Brambleclaw." There was something in her gaze. And he liked it. She was proud of him, too. And he would get her back. Then his fantasy was shattered when she turned to Ashfur and his gaze was cold as he stared back at Brambleclaw. He laughed loudly at this, a cold, heartless laugh, to hear someone interrupt.

"Wait!" cried a cat. "Brambleclaw hasn't had an apprentice!"

"He will," murmured Firestar. "He will mentor Berrykit when he is old enough."

"Really?" squeaked the kit, ducking under his mother Daisy's paws. He glanced up at him with an expression of awe and amazement. He eyed the kit. He was a scrawny thing, even though he was a little bigger than his littermates Hazelkit and Mousekit. He'd need to begin training sooner. He'd talk to Firestar about it, and if that leader was wise, he'd take his advice. Besides, he was a very persuasive deputy.

"Yes," he answered. "And you will be a very good apprentice." Berrykit nodded eagerly. Daisy looked a bit nervous, but she nodded.

"Okay," she agreed. Some cats seemed a little surprised or irritated still, but they, for the most part, kept quiet.

"Brambleclaw!" yowled another cat, starting a round of meowing and chanting his name again. The crowd of cats dispersed, and he caught up with Firestar.

"I think we should begin Berrykit's training early." He looked surprised.

"Really? I thought we were bending  the rules enough with you not having had an apprentice yet."

"Maybe," he admitted slowly. He had to act the part. "But I think we should begin training them all a bit early." He lowered his voice. He had to think of an excuse. "I heard a couple of WinfClan warriors at the last gathering... they were discussing battle tactics with ShadowClan, and they were talking about attacks. I even heard an apprentice mention something about attacking us. And you know that Onestar hasn't exactly been friendly lately."

"That could've been a mistake. Or a coincidence? There are always warriors who seek out fights in Clans. And Onestar's under a lot of pressure from WindClan," reasoned Firestar. But there was a small spark of unease in his green gaze.

"Still, Firestar. I understand your wish for peace and not to stir up unnecessary trouble, but I worry about our Clan. We might be seen as vulnerable if we do nothing. I at least want to be prepared. Please, talk to Daisy. Firestar hesitated but nodded.

"Okay. I will." He headed away, but before going turned back to him. "Oh, and Brambleclaw- congratulations," he purred, kind of jokingly, as he had been the one to appoint him as deputy.

"Brambleclaw!" called Firestar. It'd been a couple of days since he'd been appointed as deputy, and he had kept a close eye on Squirrelflight and Ashfur. He'd told his father and brother in his dreams that he'd been made deputy of ThunderClan. Tigerstar had encouraged him, and Hawkfrost had said he had a plan for becoming deputy. Tonight was the Gathering when he'd be displayed to everyone as the powerful deputy of ThunderClan.

"I need you to pick a couple of cats to go to the Gathering tonight. Aside from you, me.... and normally Leafpool, but she can't go this time, of course." He dipped his head to Firestar, and the orange tom headed back to his den. Cats gathered around him now. They would eat and then go.