Chapter 15: Emily

Start from the beginning

"What are you going to do?" Erin finally asked.

"Sleep with one eye open." I joked.

"Maybe you should stop seeing him. I don't want to lose my best friend because some jealous bitch decided to off you."

"That's not an option at this point." I told her. "I'm too far gone for him."

"It's only been a week, Em. I feel like it's not too soon to cut your losses."

"It's been a hell of a week. And I can't explain it. He's taken over my mind, body, and heart."

Erin sighed. "He must be pretty spectacular if you're willing to put up with all that shit. Is he really that good in bed?"

I giggled. "Pretty spectacular actually."

"Well, just don't get yourself offed before I can come down and see you."

"And when is that going to be?" I missed my best friend so much and wished every day that she was closer.

"Soon, I hope. I think I need a break from Cali as much as I love it."

It was my turn to be concerned. "Is everything okay?"

"Yea, I mean, nothing like what you are dealing with."

Her nonchalantness had me on edge. I knew her as well as she knew me and knew that comment meant there was something up.

"Erin," I scolded. "I just laid all my dirty laundry out for you. What's going on with you?"

She laughed. "Nothing. I've met someone and they are different from my usual type."

"Different how?" I knew her usual type. Tall, skinny, long hair, played in a band, bad boy type. I couldn't imagine Erin with any other type. I tried to picture her with a straight laced guy in a polo and a blazer. Or maybe a nerd with suspenders and a pocket protector. I had to stifle a giggle.

"I'm not ready to talk about it yet," she said. "I promise nothing is wrong and there's no ex-girlfriend threatening me. I want to see how this plays out before I tell you."

"Okaaay..." I hesitated. I was nothing but curious what kind of guy she could be with.

"How's your mom?" she changed the subject and detecting she wasn't going to tell me anything more, I rolled with it. We talked for another thirty minutes before she had to get ready for her work study.

Once we hung up the phone, I grabbed my laptop and a blanket and headed to the living room. I needed to work on my paper, but I was also curious to know if Jay was still around.

I covered my legs with the blanket and pulled up a word doc. I was determined to make up a toddler and fudge the hell out of this paper. I was a page in when I heard a door open down the hall. I heard him sigh as he rounded the corner. He paused by the kitchen counter and looked over at me. I closed my laptop.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I felt my stomach roll knowing he had been in her room. While I was glad he was still here, I didn't want to think about what they had been doing. Even though he promised me he wasn't having sex with her. He made his way over to the couch and sat down beside me. He leaned his head back with a sigh. He reached over and took my hand in his.

"I finally got her to calm down. She hasn't been taking her meds properly, so I convinced her to take them and go to sleep." He explained. He stroked my hand with his thumb, then brought it to his mouth and kissed it. "I should probably go before she wakes up."

I sat my laptop down on the table. "Or you could stay." I didn't want him to leave. I knew I was being selfish, but I wanted to spend more time with him.