(22) Time Passed By

Start from the beginning

Fu Wen was moved by the last proposal. The creeks and rivers in the countryside had yet been polluted by industries. The fish and shrimps caught locally could be eaten as is. After they were cleaned, they were cooked with rice in a clay pot. Then put in some ginger and oil, and the end result was a pot of delicious fish and shrimp porridge.

The more adventurous children often climbed up the tree to hunt for birds and eggs and went into the river to catch fish, shrimp, and snails. Whenever they found something fresh, they would bring it to Fu family’s house, ask Fu Yunruo to cook, and then eat together.

However, it was now the end of the winter. The temperature was still a bit cold, and adults wouldn’t let the children enter the river yet, so the idea had to be shelved.

Wenwen also didn’t want to make his mother worry, so he regretfully rejected the idea.

After a long time, the children were still arguing loudly with no conclusion.

“Don’t be too noisy.” The cute babyish voice was not too loud, but the quarreling children instantly quieted down as soon as he spoke. All of them eagerly looked at the chubby little dumpling, waiting for him to make a decision.

Wenwen puffed out his chubby cheek and spoke like an adult: “Let’s not play those childish games.”

All of these children were older than Wenwen, with the youngest was four-year-old and the oldest was twelve-year-old, but they always followed his words. Little Shitou blinked confusedly and asked: “Are we going to play world of chivalry again?”

“No.” Wenwen said solemnly, “Today, we are going to play the emperor’s palace. I want to be the emperor!”

“I want to be the empress dowager!” Diandian responded immediately. She liked Wenwen so much and really wanted to be his mother!

Yiyi hesitated for a moment. She remembered the most beautiful person in the TV drama and quickly said: “Then I want to be the empress!”

The village children originally liked to watch cartoons, but Wenwen liked TV dramas that adults usually watched, so they were also influenced by Wenwen and ditched the cartoons to watch TV dramas. A few days ago, they watched a palace drama with the emperor, ministers, and concubines, so they also wanted to play impressive roles.

“I am the prime minister!”

“I am a master!”

“Master is not an official!”

“Then I am a traitorous minister!”

“…”

Seeing that his friends had chosen the roles they wanted to play, little Shitou said: “Then, then I will be the favored concubine!”

Yiyi refused, “You are a boy and can’t be a concubine!”

Little Shitou was sad: “Why not?”

Yiyi tilted her head. She also didn’t know why. However, the concubines on the TV were all girls, so she said, “Anyway, you cannot.”

Little Shitou instantly burst into tears. Choked with sobs, he looked at Wenwen pleadingly: “I want to be Wenwen’s closest person…”

However, the girls refused to let him join their rank of concubines, and little Shitou bawled even louder. Seeing this, Wenwen said solemnly: “Then I will make you my general manager of palace affairs. He is the person closest to and most trusted by the emperor.”

When little Shitou heard it, he burst into a wide grin: “Okay. I am going to be the general manager of palace affairs!”

Having chosen their roles, the children happily left Wenwen’s house. After arriving in their usual playing ground, Wenwen assigned other children lines according to their roles. Regardless of age, all children seriously tried to remember their lines and order of appearance.