Ayo stood across from them, on the other side of the fire. She was holding her Vibranium spear.

She gave y/n a look, asking her silently if she was sure about this. And y/n nodded back with determination. They had been trying for two years, they couldn't give up now.

"It is time." Ayo stated

"You sure about this?" Bucky asked

"We won't let you hurt anyone." Ayo said confidently, y/n nodded in agreement with her statement.

Ayo then began to say the words in Russian.

"Longing"

Bucky flinched upon hearing the first word, his grip on y/n's hand tightened before he let go completely. Y/n glanced over at him, but he had his eyes set on the fire in front of them. His jaw was set tightly

"Rusted"

His eyes were watering with unshed tears, the fear and pain was radiating off of him. Y/n felt her own eyes begin to water.

"Seventeen"

Y/n reached out with her powers, so far, so good. Bucky still felt like himself and nothing had changed. She felt a spark of hope appear in her chest but she swallowed it down for now.

"It's not gonna work." Bucky said, his voice thick with emotion. But Ayo did not waver.

"Daybreak"

Bucky inhaled shakily, he was anticipating and fearing the worst. He believed that the winter soldier would come back. Y/n still could not feel it.

"Furnace"

The emotion on his face made y/n want to cry and destroy all of HYDRA at the same time.

"Nine"

The tears started to run down his cheeks, his face breaking into a sob at every word that was said.

"Benign"

Y/n refrained herself from reaching out and holding him, she knew that he wouldn't want her to at this moment. He was worried he would hurt someone. And still, she didn't feel the winter soldier.

"Homecoming"

He started to cry harder from the pain, the pain that he has been feeling for over 70 years.

"One"

Every word that was said brought him more pain, each word reminding him of that time, of the person who he isn't.

"Freight car"

The last word had been said.

Y/n started to tear up even more as she watched the pain contort his face, she still felt nothing. No winter soldier, no programming, just Bucky.

There was a pause amongst them, Ayo and y/n waited for a moment before they locked eyes and nodded. Satisfied that nothing had happened.

"You are free." Ayo said

Bucky finally dragged his eyes away from the fire and looked up at Ayo, he was crying even harder now.

"You are free." She repeated, and at that, the dam broke and Bucky began to sob.

Finally, after so long. 70 years of torture and 2 years of trying to find a cure, he was free.

Y/n felt tears fall down her own cheeks, feeling a mix of joy and sadness.

She was so happy that he was free, that he could finally have this moment. And she was also heartbroken that this had happened to him in the first place.

Y/n reached out and placed her hand on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze. He glanced over at her and let out another sob. He leant his head down and placed it on her shoulder, crying into her shirt.

Y/n wrapped her arms around him, keeping a tight hold on him. "It's ok. You're free now." She whispered.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and clutched the material of her t-shirt. Gripping her as close to himself as he could.

Y/n didn't mind that her shoulder felt slightly damp. She raised her hand and placed it on his head, running her fingers through his long brown hair.

Y/n could feel her own tears still falling down her face.

After a moment Bucky sat up from their tight embrace. He placed his fist over his mouth as he stared over at the fire again. His tears were still falling freely down his cheeks.

After he had a moment to take it all in, that he was finally free from the winter soldier. He began to laugh.

He felt so relieved from the burden that had been lifted from his shoulders. There was an expression of joy in his eyes.

Ayo nodded to y/n before she turned and left them, she had a smile on her face as well.

Bucky turned and faced y/n again. "What do you feel?" He asked her

She smiled lightly at him and raised her hand to place it on his head. She ran her hand gently along the side of his head until she was cupping his cheek. "I just feel you, Buck. Only you." She said

He smiled at her as she used the pad of her thumb to wipe away his tears.

"Promise?" He asked her quietly, his voice slightly hoarse from the crying.

"I promise." She stated, giving him a kind smile before she brought their faces together with her hand, placing her forehead against his as they both cried. Feeling relieved that it had finally worked.

"It's just you." She stated again, smiling at him.

They stayed like that for another few moments before they made their way back down the mountain, hand in hand. Back towards the lake where Bucky's hut resided. Feeling more hopeful and happy than they had in a long time.