Again, I say graduation night at Juneau-Douglas high was no different from any other high school graduation night. And the same applied to walking up and getting diplomas. There was always someone who pretended to trip. There was always someone who had to dance across the stage. There was the catwalk girl, who always did the model pose before and after grabbing the diploma. And last but not least the prankster who had to shake Mr. Oates’ hand with a fake one, and send the entire student body into a laughing frenzy. During the valedictorian speech I figured it was the right time to ask Olivia what the hell we were doing.

“Liv, what the hell are we doing?” I whispered.

“I’ll tell you later” Olivia whispered back.

After the ceremony, family and friends poured out onto the field to congratulate the graduates. Olivia and I went separate ways, and she went over to her family.

“So, how does it feel son?” dad asked, as he, mom, Aunt Muriel and Uncle Timothy approached me.

“It’s a piece of paper dad” I informed, holding up the blue and silver diploma cover.

“Can’t you ever be grateful about anything?” dad grimaced.

“I’m grateful when you don’t suck the joy out of everything.”

“I…?” Dad gasped. “I suck the joy?”

“Guys” Aunt Muriel chimed in.

“You know something, I don’t know if this is a phase or your personality, but this angsty shit really needs to stop.”

“Well lucky for you soon it won’t be your problem anymore.”

I turned and began walking away.

“Theo, Theo!” Mom called after me, but I kept walking, tossing my diploma to the lawn.

Ten more hours…and I can put this place in my rearview mirror. Or in my case in the clouds. I spotted Maggi standing with a few of her friends taking pictures with her fancy Cannon camera, including Shyla. I walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder lightly. She turned around to face me flashing the camera in my face.

“Congratulations graduate” She grinned.

“Thanks” I smiled wiping my eyes, and then we hugged.

Somehow, she always made me smile.

“Hey Mags” Someone called.

            We both turned around to face her friends. Standing among them was a guy same height as me. He had pale-colored hair, cut in a taper and fade style, and dark eyes. He was dressed in a blue long-sleeved shirt and stone washed jeans. He beamed at the sight of Maggi.

“Terry?” Maggi questioned, with one eyebrow raised.

The guy approached us, still grinning from ear to ear like a Cheshire cat. Shyla followed close behind, of course getting a front row seat to the drama. It didn’t take me long to put two and two together. This was the ex.

“Terry, what are you doing here?” Maggi asked.

“Gee, nice to see you to babe, remember my cousin is graduating. I figured it would be good to come down and say ‘hey’ to everybody” he said, pulling her into a bear hug, lifting her off her feet.

He looked up from the crook of her neck and our eyes locked in on each other.

“Hey, who’s this?” he grinned.