.08.

Boxes were scattered around and each bandmember seemed to have its own corner. One sat a little further back on the drum kit and tried to spot something that went wrong. Another had made himself comfortable in a chair and was retuning his bass.

"Guys!", James shouted into the room like it was the most normal thing in the world.

The two now noticed us and the one behind the drums joined the one with the bass. Nevertheless, a guitar stood around here without an owner. So one was missing. James made no move to wait for the missing one and wrapped an arm around me like I was his pride and joy.

"This is Olivia. She went to high school with me and we've known each other like forever.", he introduced me to the two of them.

I even recognized one of them. I still remember the early days of the band. Lars, the drummer, always flirted with me, which caused James to stop inviting me. It was self-explanatory that Lars should concentrate on the music instead of concentrating on me.

"Cliff. The bassist.", said Cliff and then went back to his bass.

So he wasn't too talkative. Or he was shy and didn't trust strangers easily.

"I see you're still alive too."

"Of course I am. What a stupid question.", I said playfully to Lars and briefly hugged him like James before.

It was nice to see them both again. I shared special memories with them. For example, when I first got high, they both took care of me. Well, it led to me setting fire to our neighbors' car. They were complete assholes anyway, but still not bad enough to dserve a burning car. I'm still speculating who put me up to it. James or Lars.

I put my jacket and bag in a random corner and sat in the vacant chair next to James. I had always loved listening to him play.

"Who was yelling like that? And who is-", now that's not true, is it?!

Completely shocked and at least as surprised as he was, I turned around. Whoever I saw there took my breath away. And he seemed to feel the same way.

"What is she doing here?!"

"What is he doing here?!"

We said at the same time.
I noticed the confused looks we were getting but I bet my look was the worst. The brown curls. The brown eyes. And everything else that went with it was now in front of me.

"You know each other?", Cliff sounded quite confused.

I was as confused as he sounded. Then I was right after all. James and this guy were members of the band Metallica.

"She's the girl I told you about.", he just said.

Lars' eyes widened a bit if that was even possible. James still looked like he didn't know what was going on. He was processing everything and probably thinking. As always. Cliff looked more or less relaxed now but he didn't quite understand either. 

I sat back down in the chair but that didn't help much. James was sitting right across from the guy so I looked his way.

"Olivia.", was all i said.

Even if I never wanted to see him again, this reunion was a lot worse than I thought. It is not for nothing that one always sees one another twice in one's life.

"Kirk.", he said no more.

The silence around us was unbearable. But I didn't want to break it either. It seemed wrong to break it as a guest. It would be better for one of the boys to do that. I didn't understand why I couldn't get him out of my head. I had an idea. Was it because he said things that no one has ever said about me? Was it because he could melt any wall, no matter how thick, with his charming manner? Was it because we slept together? I didn't know. But I knew one thing for sure. I needed to get Kirk out of my head. As soon as possible.

"Are you still working in this music store like a few years ago?", Lars interrupted my thoughts at a good point.

Who knows what else I would think. I've been working in this music store for three years. Just because I'm too lazy to look for another job. I don't even know what to do so I stay in the store. One advantage is that I can choose a cassette or a record for my birthday. Like giving up that advantage.

"Yeah but only because I get a free cassette or record on my birthday. Like I'm giving up that advantage.", the last part was meant more or less sarcastically.

I liked working in the store. It wasn't too stressful. I loved it when new goods came. From the old articles we can always take a few that we like and that nobody bought. It's fair to say that working in this store was a huge advantage.

"Kirk you mean a blonde woman did it with you. You approached her because of the bet, didn't you?", so either Cliff was slow or he just summarized everything again.

I have no idea why but it hurts to hear that it all happened because of a stupid bet. That also means that everything he said was just wishful thinking and therefore nothing was true. Why should it be true? I mean, we were both drunk and just having a good time. Some less than others but still. I reflexively grabbed James' hand. I did this whenever I was nervous or about to have a panic attack. This time it was point one. He knew it and didn't resist. He wrapped my hands in his.

"Yes why? It's not my fault if she gets too conceited about it. I told her it was just a one time thing and it will stay that way."

"But what you didn't say is that I was just a joke to you. Do you play around with all women like that? Just because you think you're famous? Don't imagine anything!", I practically screamed but I didn't care.

In fact, it should have been clear from the start. But once again I pride myself on it too much. The feeling of disappointment, the feeling of disgust for myself spread in me.

"It's okay Liv. Kirk is just stupid and we're not better. He didn't think about what that meant to you.", James said to me in a calm tone to calm me down.

He knew very well that if I panic, I won't get out of it so quickly. Lars hadn't experienced any of my panic attacks so far but I wanted to spare him that too.

"I hate you Kirk.", I said with all my disgust towards him.