Chapter 15-Trouble

The day after Officer Styver's warning the day went on as usual. And by usual, I mean the routine that we had settled into. Was there any normal anymore? I went through the day in my usual bubble and got out of school as quickly as I could. I rushed to the store (Grace, the next-door neighbor had allowed me to use a specific card of hers to buy supplies for her as long as I showed her every receipt) and picked up some noodles and spaghetti sauce. It was the easiest thing to make and wouldn't take too much time. I arrived at the bus stop just in time to pick up my sisters and brothers, but when they got off the bus one was missing. My heart started to pound, but I pulled myself together as I rationalized. If something had happened, Patrick and Luci wouldn't be so nonchalant. 

"Hey, guys! Umm... Where's Janette?" I asked calmly, trying to mask my concern.

Luci rolled her eyes, "I told her to keep it cool, but she wouldn't listen." Patrick nodded and shook his head like an old wise man. 

I was getting frustrated. "What happened?"

"Oh, she got detention for telling Mr. Collier to f*ck off and calling him a d*ckhead," she said, shrugging her shoulders. My jaw dropped and I fought the uncontrollable urge to laugh. It was funny (and between you and me, if Janette calls someone that, they most likely deserve it), but I controlled the urge and asked how she was going to get back to the house.

"The principal said that she would have to take the late bus. She'll be here at like, five or something like that."

"Elisabeth, what's a d*ckhead?" Patrick chimed from behind us. He was dragging his feet along the side of the road.

"Patrick, get your feet on the sidewalk, please. You don't want a car to run over that foot, do you? And a d*ckhead is a much, much worse way of saying that a person is a jerk. It's a pretty bad word." I said. I don't tell anyone they can't swear because I don't see the problem with profanity personally. It's just words, but I can't have Patrick going around randomly calling people that. It wouldn't look good for any of us. We had reached Grace's place by then. 

"Guys, we're not going to be here long, but you need to get your homework at least halfway done by the time we leave if you want to play at the house. No messing around today," I instructed as we entered her home. They nodded and then went to her dining room table. She was sitting there, ready with Oreo cookies. She was so amazing to all of us, I swear. Patrick, Luci, Janette, and even Kenny would open up around her. They would tell her all about their day and she would laugh at some of their little mishaps. I went to the kitchen and started cooking. I finished in an hour and was just starting on the dirty pots when Janette came in.

"Hey, Janette. I'm almost ready to leave," I said hurriedly when she opened her mouth to speak. "We'll talk about it when we get back to Mark's house." She closed her mouth and nodded.

When I told Grace that I had finished cooking, she got up from the table and pulled me into the kitchen, away from the kids. "And how are you doing today?" she asked me, looking earnestly into my eyes. I looked away. 

"I'm doing fine, you know, just plugging along," I said with a smile. 

"I can tell that you once had a beautiful smile. Now it's just not alive like it probably once was. I hope this job isn't stressing you out too much," she pondered, half to herself. I rushed to reassure her.

"Oh no, ma'am. This job means the world to me, especially since you trust me after what I told you,"  I grasped her hands, returning her frank stare. 

She nodded and smiled, "Well, I believe everyone deserves a second chance, and you seem like you've earned it." 

I felt sad as we walked back to Mark's house. Who was I failing here? I felt like I was failing everyone, my parents, my sisters, and my brothers. No, that wasn't correct, I already had failed them. I was still feeling like a failure after my shower when Janette came into the kitchen where I was to talk. She looked worried. I shut off my music.