It's not a Good Idea Blowing Things up in The Chemistry Lab Without Permission

Start from the beginning

As I approached the principal's office, I debated on whether or not I should come up with another horrible excuse as to why I was in her office for the third time this week. Tuesday was because I dumped a very large bucket of glitter on a bunch of unsuspecting ninth graders and Wednesday was because I told my English teacher she kept pronouncing words wrong. There's only so many times I can hear the mispronounced version of 'false' before I go insane.

Ms.Leonardo sat patiently at her desk, as if she was expecting me so show up sooner or later.

"Well, congratulations, Caitlin, you are officially the student I see the most," she said, gesturing for me to sit down.

I sighed and slumped down onto the chair in front of her.

"Would you care to explain what you did this time?" She asked.

"Well, I was in chemistry and we were mixing chemicals. I thought that putting the blue and the red chemicals together would make a lovely shade of purple, but I guess I was wrong," I said.

"Why does your story not surprise me? I can't exactly punish you for blowing something up in that class, but I am going to have to call your parents and have them come in to talk to me. Go and gather your homework and come back," she said.

I stood up and headed straight for the stairs. There was still ten minutes left in class, so I didn't rush. My locker resided on the second floor, along with all the other grade elevens.

When the final bell rang, several students came pouring out of the Science, English and Math halls. The grade nine and tens moved towards the stairs while the elevens and twelves made their was to where I was.

I was struggling to pull my English textbook out of my locker when everyone in my row decided to arrive. When I finally managed to get it loose, both the book and myself went flying backwards. .

"Come on Saunders, again?" the voice of the football captain, Jason asked, laughing.

"Oh, shut up, Jason. You try being an uncoordinated sixteen year old girl," I grumbled, standing up and brushing myself off.

"You're funny. Nobody in their right mind would want to be in your shoes. Besides, I heard you blew something up in chemistry again," he said.

I glared at Samantha Andrews, the head cheerleader and most popular girl in my school. Unfortunately, she didn't exactly like me.

"Not that it's any of your business,"I huffed.

"Wow, you must be a major disappointment to your parents," he said and everyone who could hear our conversation, laughed.

"Actually, I'm very proud of Caitlin," my dad said, causing to Jason to jump.

"Thank you, Dad," I said.

"You are in so much trouble," he said, giving me a stern look that made me cringe.

"Yes, Sir," I said, bowing my head down in shame.

I knew better than anybody how caring my father could be, but, whenever the school called, he was always in a sour mood. Even though I've never heard him yell, curse, or even get angry, but when he's disappointed, I would rather he yelled or threw bags of potato chips at me.

Callie gave me a reassuring look as I followed my father towards the principal's office.

My mother was waiting patiently for me, still wearing her work clothes. I had her pale blue eyes and slender body, while I inherited my dad's dark hair and tanned skin from my grandmother, who was born in raised in Greece. Despite the fact I should probably look like I grew up in Miami, my thick, black framed glasses, freckles and nerdy appearance told a different story.