Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"We get to keep our costumes!" She said excitedly and I grinned placing the bag down. Miles and Hazel stood up upon the podium, with a stack of letters in their hands, obviously from the broadway auditioner.

"He's going to be reading them aloud, I'm so excited!" Sierra said, fumbling with her hands. I looked to Orion, his expression was hard and stony, his hands gripped into fists upon the table. I gave him a reassuring smile and took one of his hands in mine. I knew what the audition could mean for him. He smiled back at me.

More people began filing in, my stomach was churning in anticipation for him to read the letters aloud. He placed them upon the stand and fiddled with the microphone for a few minutes. People were chatting excitedly but I found that I was hardly able to form sentences. I took out my phone as if to calm myself and I scrolled through texts.

"I'm so anxious." I heard Derrick say, I looked to him and I found he was paler than usual. I gave him a smile and waited. It seemed like forever before everyone finally came in and Miles turned the microphone on and began speaking.

"I'm immensely pleased with everyone in this performance and I feel so much gratitude towards all of you! You all put the best show possible upon the stage and you all blew away a broadway auditioner who I had spoken to and agreed to come to the next show. I cannot believe the results we got from this man." Miles took a deep breath in, flipping through the letters in his hands, "I know you all want to hear the results so without further ado I will begin. There was a moment of tense silence as Miles drew a random envelope from the stack and glanced at the cover.

"To Sarah Munger." He started and I could hear an intake of breath as everyone whipped around to look at Sarah, who was staring at Miles awestruck. "After witnessing her fantastic singing and acting in her performance as Javert in the production of Les Miz I would like to award her an audition for the role of Lily from The Secret Garden, as it returns to Broadway later this year." applause filled the room as Sarah stood up, breathing heavily as she took the envelope from Miles and glanced over the paper. Tears of excitement and happiness welling up at her eyes, "The information is attached." Miles smiled at her as she went to sit down, clutching the letter in her hands as the clapping ceased. Miles took the next letter, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"To Daniel Kerr." Applause started up immediately as Pearl's friend stood up, his pale face reddening with excitement, Miles was grinning as he continued reading, the little boy moved up to the platform, "For his amazing and shockingly heartbreaking performance as Gavroche, I would like to grant an audition for Matilda, which will be recast later this year." The little boy headed up to grab his letter, clapping continued as Miles grabbed the next letter.

"To Sierra Corr. A girl who played an astounding Matilda on Broadway last year. She once again blew me away in a performance. She is a fantastic actress and singer definitely reminiscent of Sierra Boggess, so I would like to award her an audition for none other than Christine Daae from Phantom of the Opera." All eyes fell upon Sierra who immediately broke into tears as she strode up to take the envelope. I clapped excitedly, knowing that Christine had always been her dream role. When she comes back over to take her seat I wrap her in a hug, tears run down her face as she lets out a sob of happiness and opens the letter. Scanning over the information. Miles was grinning ecstatically as he took the next letter out,

"To Pearl Aponte, who blew me away with her singing and acting I would like to grant her an audition for the title role in Matilda." Excitement and pride shot through me as I spun around in my seat to face Pearl who was gaping as she rushed up to the platform, taking the letter in her hands and staring upon it as if it was gold. I clapped excitedly, her eyes were glowing. Miles took out the next letter, his eyes focusing upon the name. I could feel my heart racing in my chest.

"To Derrick Pine, who was a fantastically expressive Marius who I would definitely love to see again, I grant an audition for the role of Marius." I spin around to face Derrick who is gaping widely, excitement evident in his expression as he rushes up to grab the envelope, his hands trembling. I can feel my heart pound, unbelieving of what was happening. I felt so joyous of the fact that so many of my friends were receiving auditions.

"To Bella Applegate. Who sang with beauty and acted with power as she played Cosette. I would love to see her perform it again, so I believe an audition for the role of Cosette on Broadway would be appropriate." Miles smiled as Bella rushed up to take the letter in trembling hands. People were cheering excitedly, their eyes ablaze. Only three more letters sat upon the platform, I watched as Miles picked up the next one,

"To Violetta Coursche who played a remarkably strong and powerful Valjean I would like to grant an audition for Belle in the revival of Beauty and the Beast." I cheered for my friend as she rushed up on stage to take her letter, I watched the last two envelopes and gripped Orion's hand, feeling my heart rush in my chest.

"To Orion Smith, a remarkable Enjolras. I would love to see him perform the role again thus I am granting him an audition for the very part!" I looked to Orion, who was gaping his eyes wide as I began cheering along with everyone in the room. He leapt to his feet and strode towards Miles as he took the letter in trembling hands. Miles then took the final letter I felt my heart beating my chest.

"To Athena Aponte." My head swirled for a moment and I let out a gasp as cheering struck the air, I couldn't process what was going on, excitement swirled through me as I looked to my friends, as Miles continued, "Who portrayed Eponine beautifully, you were fantastic and heartbreaking while being reminiscent of Samantha Barks. I wish for you to try to pursue the role, so I am granting you an audition for Eponine on Broadway." I felt everything swirl around my as I stumbled to my feet and moved up, grasping the letter in trembling hands. For a moment I was unaware of the tears of happiness streaming down my face. I moved back to the table, the applause ringing in my ears as I sat down. I could hardly hear Miles continue speaking and I found myself gripping Orion's hand.

"You did it 'Thena!" He said, his voice ringing with happiness. I smiled at him,

"You found your escape Orion." I managed to choke out as everything around me began to steady.

The next few hours were spent in celebration. People were crying and hugging eachother while celebrating. Others were pestering Miles for information about the next show, that the auditioner would be attending. I still could hardly believe what was going on.

"We are supposed to go to a meeting with the auditioner together at the school in a week during first period." Sierra said, reading off the letter, "I'll see you guys there!" My heart thumped in my chest and I celebrated. Once the party was over and we headed towards the door I looked to Violetta.

"I don't think we'll have time to do the next show this year Vi." I smile at her and she nods. Tears of happiness still leaking from her eyes, the letter is gripped in her fingertips.

"I can't believe this at all!" She said excitedly, her voice brimming with happiness.

"Neither can I." Vi's parents pulled up minutes later, their faces streaked with tears of happiness and pride. Vi, Pearl and I got in the car. I took a deep breath. This letter in my hands opened up so many doors to my future, now I realized I needed to shut some of the old ones, I knew that it was time to tell Vi and her family about mine. I took a deep breath and began, letting the words spin from my mouth, it felt relieving almost. To finally tell someone. I know I will never be alone anymore, and that it something that truly eases the pain from the experiences I have faced. From years of neglect and abuse, from the cease of my dreams, from everything. But now after I told my story and clutched this letter in my hands, I realized that there are new opportunities in this world, waiting for me. I sacrificed myself for others in my dreams, and those are dreams I will never forget but now maybe I will be able to leave them behind.

A/N: Sorry this chapter was sort of rambly, a lot needed to be said :D