Chapter Seventeen

Vi's slumped figure leaned against the chair, her eyes were shadowed by thick makeup and her glance was a hopeful one. She sang beautifully, mustering strength and courage. Sierra and I stood in the shadows, alongside the cast. I could sense the tears coming from the audience as Bella sang, gripping Vi's hand as Derrick sat next to her. They kneeled at the foot of Vi's chair, gazing up at her in sadness.

"You will live, Papa you're going to live. It's too soon, too soon to say goodbye." Bella's voice rang out beautifully, desperation obvious in her voice. Vi looked down at her, a sad expression glinting in her expression.

"Yes Cosette, forbid me now to die, I'll obey, I will try." Vi paused for a minute, drawing a slip of paper from her coat pocket and holding it out to Bella, her fingers shaking, "On this page, I write my last confession. Read it well, when I at last am sleeping. It's the story of one who always loved you. Your mother gave her life for you then gave you to my keeping." Bella took it, trembling slowly as she leaned against Derrick, who was gazing at Vi and Bella sadly. Sierra and I took a deep breath and stepped from the shadows into the spotlight. Coming up to Vi's chair and resting our hands upon it,

"Come with me, where chains will never bind you. All your grief, at last, at last behind you. Lord in heaven, look down on him in mercy." Sierra's singing was so sweetly sad and beautiful, her voice rang out in hope as Vi looked up at her.

"Forgive me all my trespasses and take me to your glory." Vi sang this slowly, as if admitting defeat finally. Sierra and I then begin singing together, our voices creating an eerily sad and hopeful song, it culminates together beautifully,

"Take my hand and lead me to salvation. Take my love for love is everlasting." With those words Vi rose and took a hand from each of us as we led him away from the sobbing figures of Bella and Derrick. "And remember the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of god." We led Vi to the center of the stage as we stood next to her. Within a few seconds Bella and Derrick came up to join us at the front of the stage, still crying, Bella resting in Derrick's arms. The rest of the cast stepped out behind us, approaching us so that they were a few feet behind as we began our finale. Our voices were filled with strength and courage, our vibrato harmonizing and ringing together. Vi, Sierra and I held hands as we sung, and once the number finished and the lights died, the audience gave us a standing ovation. We rushed backstage as the chorus members took their bows. When Sierra and I headed out together I felt an overwhelming rush, we had finished, this was the final night. I let out a long gasp and restrained myself from crying as the curtain closed.

"We did it!" Sierra hugged me and I hugged her, tears were budding at her eyes. The whole cast did a quick celebration upon the stage, hugging eachother and doing some crying, even though we still had the banquet for the show later today.

***

I hadn't expected the preparation put into the afterparty. Vi, Pearl and I arrived at the back of a restaurant, where Miles and Hazel had rented out a space. A small podium with a microphone was set up while sets of tables with assigned seating was strewn across the room. A bunch of people had already arrived and I found Sierra waving me over. Pearl, Vi and I headed over and found we were all sitting at the same table. My name was written on a piece of fine cardstock sitting upon a plate. Orion was seated to my left and Sierra to my right. I gave them both hugs before looking down at my seat, where a gift bag sat, I moved it and sat down, staring at it curiously.

"Do you know what this is?" I asked to no one in particular and saw that Sierra was nodding, she too had one and it looked as if she had already opened it. I drew off the paper and found that both costumes from the show had been folded up and placed in the bag.