7: 'An unexpected phone call...'

Start from the beginning

I let out a shaky breath as I climb out of my car, I wrinkle my nose slightly at the smell of weed clouding the air. I flash a nervous smile to the boy sitting in-front of the house with a red solo cup in his hand.

My eyes widen when I step inside, the strobe lights nearly blinding me. I quickly scan the surroundings before I head towards what I presume is the living room. My heart breaks slightly when I notice a familiar blonde-haired boy leaning over the coffee table snorting a line of white powder. Before I'm able to approach him, a pair of large hands gently grab my shoulders and spin me around. I freeze slightly at the unexpected contact.

I let out a sigh of relief when I look into a pair of chocolate brown eyes, 'H-Hello!'

His eyebrows knit together, 'Sunshine? What the fuck are you doing here?'

'I-I'm just coming to pick up a friend.'

'Why didn't you just wait in your car?'

'I-I did but I was sitting there for forty minutes without any reply, a-and I didn't want to him on his own.'

I jump slightly when a ginger haired boy waves a syringe in my face, 'Want a hit?'

Rocky narrows his eyes at the much smaller boy, 'No, she fucking doesn't.'

I look up at him with a teasing grin, 'A bit presumptuous of you to think that I don't want any.'

He gives me a look, 'Not funny.'

'You're always so serious.'

He sighs loudly before looking over my shoulder, 'So, which one is your friend?'

'T-The blonde one snorting coke of the coffee table.'

'That guy is your friend?'

My eyebrows knit together, 'Y-Yeah, why?'

'He's been a complete ass all night. I had to refrain from punching him a couple of times.'

'Are you sure, we're on about the same person?'

'One-hundred percent.'

I couldn't comprehend the notion of someone not instantly adoring Toby. He was one of the sweetest and funniest guys I've ever met.

 'O-Oh, well if he has done anything bad, I apologise on his behalf.'

'Why the fuck would you apologise on someone else's behalf?'

I shrug, 'B-Because it's just something that I like to do.'

He rolls his eyes, 'That's just stupid.'

'Being kind isn't stupid Robert. It literally costs nothing to spread kindness.'

'That's not necessarily true,'

'What? How is it not?'

'Well for starters, it can cost you, your self-respect and dignity.'

I narrow my eyes, 'You are such a cynic!' 

He snorts loudly as he crosses his arms against his chest, 'I'm a realist sunshine, there's a difference.'

'Well, I'd rather be a dreamer than a realist, any day of the week.'

'Dreaming only leads to heartache.'

I shrug, 'I respectfully disagree.'

My eyes widen as Toby stumbles towards me with bloodshot eyes, I wince slightly when I notice a little bit of dried-up blood on the side of his left nostril.

'Scar, where the fuck have you been? I've been waiting for fucking ages.'

'I-I've been here for nearly an hour, I-I did try to call you a few times, but you kept declining them.'