The Hybrid

Valencia was happy. When she woke up she called Liz and asked her to trace the phone call she got last night and sure enough, it originated from Tennessee, where the last lead on Stefan was. After two months of zero contact with Stefan, he called her.

Why her and not Elena or Damon? Valencia didn't know and honestly, she didn't care. It was a sign that he wasn't completely gone as Damon had said. There was still hope and Valencia would hold onto it for as long as she could.

After she got ready for the day, Valencia went to Elena's room to tell her about the phone call. She lifted her hand to knock but paused right before her knuckles touched the door. Stefan called her, not Elena. Via didn't know how Elena would react to that. She had to tell her though so she knocked on the door.

Elena opened her door and smiled. "Morning, Via. I'm surprised you're awake this early."

"Stefan called me last night," Valencia blurted out. She thought it'd be best to just rip the band-aid off.

"What?" Elena asked. "What do you mean Stefan called you?"

"He called me after we got home last night. He didn't say anything but I asked Sherriff Forbes to trace the call when I got up this morning and it originated from Tennessee," Valencia explained.

"Why would he call you and not me?" Elena asked, hurt and jealous that he called Via instead of her, his girlfriend.

Valencia shrugged. "I don't know. But, this is a good thing. It means that he's still there. That Damon was wrong about him flipping the switch. He wouldn't have called if he did."

Elena nodded with a sigh. She knew Via was right. This was a good thing but that didn't ebb away the jealousy that courses through her veins. She was Stefan's girlfriend, he should've called her not Valencia.

————————

After Valencia talked to Elena, the brunette got dressed and they went over to the boarding house. They told Damon that Stefan called Valencia, but he was still adamant that his brother was gone and not coming back. Not after Stefan killed Andie all because he wanted Damon to stop looking for him.

When it was clear that he wouldn't help the girls on their mission to bring Stefan back, the twins left and headed to Alaric's. Valencia knocked on his apartment door loudly.

"Go away, Damon!" The twins heard Alaric yell from inside. They exchanged looks and Via knocked on the door even louder.

The door flung open and a shirtless Alaric stood in the doorway with his pants and belt undone. He was momentarily surprised to see them after he checked out on them last night.

"Hi," Elena greeted.

"You're, uh...not who I expected," Alaric said as he fastened his pants and buckled his belt.

"I need you to tell us what you know about Stefan and Tennessee."

"Did you miss the part where I checked out of all this?" Alaric asked, his eyes looking at Valencia.

Via gave him an unamused look and crossed her arms over her chest. "No. Look, whatever Damon knows, you know and we need some information on Stefan. You know, the information you and Damon kept from us for months."

"Ask Damon," Alaric told them.

"We did but Damon's not exactly in the mood to help right now."

"For good reason. Because it's not safe for you. Stefan's off the rails."

"Yeah, but he's still holding on to his humanity, which means he can still be saved," Elena argued.

"And why do you two have to be the ones to save him?" Alaric asked.