Chapter Twenty : Drought Season

Wayne returned on shift noticing someone standing hovering over Jolie, wearing a white suit and black tie. She appeared to smile at the person who seemed familiar.

As he returned, the man looked over at him and chuckled "No way! Wayne!? You work on here too?"

He mumbled, "Yeah. You could say that."

He smiled, taking hold of Jolie's shoulders like he had that night at the firework display. Did this guy not understand personal boundaries? "Jolie and I will be working together for the upcoming year to prepare her for the managerial roles."

Oh. So they would be keeping Jolie. That's good. She wanted nothing more than to run CUM one day. He was happy for her. "Oh that's nice.." he commented.

Wayne blinked at the man "Sorry what was your name again?"

Eddie reached out a hand. "Eddie, nice to meet you."

Wayne wanted to tell her... He would be leaving after New Year's but he didn't exactly have a good time with her boss hanging around lingering over her like a ghost.

Finally though, the station quietened down... And he found himself at ease. " Jolie... After New Year's, I'm not staying."

She blinked up at him "You...what?"

He shrugged "Angela just spoke to me. The company don't want me around..."

She gawped "Is this because of what happened with Morgan!?"

Wayne bit his lip "No. Not at all... It's just... Angela noticed... I'm not really too keen on doing much here... To be honest I've got other career goals... That doesn't need me working here so...ill be leaving after New Year's and..."

Somehow... God knows how... Planning to take out a loan or something. Anything that will let him attend some kind of Law school.

Jolie seemed sad... As she stared down at his shoes. " What are you planning on doing?"

He bit his lip.

Probably he would have to move out of town so he could go study... But in the process, he hoped... Maybe he could be a better man when he came back... Maybe if she was still available... He'd probably have the courage to tell her how he felt... Maybe he would let her know about his hopes and dreams the things he really wanted to do... Like being a solicitor for people like his mother who couldn't even win custody of her own child because she couldn't speak a word of English.

Wayne chuckled " I'm not sure but, We have a month and a bit... Before the Drought though..."

She blinked up at him curiously "Huh?"

He smirked "You know... For our thirst wars."

She pouted "But you and Stella..."

He shook his head. Finally, the opportunity had arisen! "Jolie... I broke up with her."

She glared at him confusedly "What... Why?"

He shrugged "I was trying to tell you earlier... But you wouldn't listen... I... I don't click with Stella. She's sweet but... I... Don't think she's right for me."

Jolie bit her lip watching him. "So... You want to keep up the Thirst Wars?"

He nodded "Id love it... If we could keep Thirsting"

She smirked to herself. "Well alright."

She felt happier about that. Not that he'd been hurting her the last few weeks with Stella. Not that he'd pushed her away... But that now... Even if what they had didn't technically mean anything in the long run...