"And HOW is that possible?! How can you create a baby with mana?!"

Nozomu grinned at him. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"That's why I'm asking!"

"Nozomu," Kishi said suddenly, looking skyward.

"Hmm?" Nozomu looked up and Shuei looked up as well. He couldn't see anything, even after squinting. Maybe if it was daylight, then—

A burst of fire erupted in the air meters above their heads, and Shuei cried out in shock. "WAUGH!" he lost his footing and fell backwards.

"Shit—Shuei-san!" Nozomu shouted.

Before Shuei could fall off the roof though, his back impacted with a soft but unyielding surface. "Why are you so accident prone?"

"Ah, San with the rescue again!" Nozomu laughed.

"Unsurprising," Kishi muttered.

Shuei tried to pull away from San, but his feet slipped on the shingles and he nearly fell over again. "Careful!" San said sharply. "Or do you want to fall off the roof?!"

"No, I don't," Shuei retorted, but he felt heat on his face and he was glad that their surroundings were darkening with the setting sun. San felt warm and solid against him, and Shuei had to resist the urge to melt into his arms. Please, just let me go!

San lowered him to the roof until he was seated. "Just be mindful of your surroundings," he said, moving away from Shuei and towards Nozomu and Kishi. "There you two are. Otou-san was looking for you."

"Of course," Nozomu sighed, carefully standing on the blanket. "Is this about the evaluation?"

"Does he want us to stay with you, San?" Kishi asked.

San shook his head. "I'll only be down the street. But Otou-san wants you both remain on the grounds while the—Inspector is here," he said haltingly.

"He did ask me to take off from work that day, so I may as well make myself useful," Kishi said, standing up as well. "Did Ouji-sama say whether or not I need to wash the dye out of my hair? Or if I should leave my contacts off?"

"I don't think he will care," San responded.

"And what do I need to do?" Shuei asked, feeling awkward at being left out of their conversation.

"Just be on your best behavior and show off all your hard work to Ouji-sama and you'll be fine," Nozomu said cheerfully.

"Whatever." Shuei crawled across the shingles towards the ladder. "I'm going to go take a shower before dinner."

"We'll follow shortly after," San said over his shoulder.

Oh good, they're going to leave me alone. Shuei smirked as he climbed down the ladder. This Inspector BETTER not complain about me. Even if he IS San's uncle if he's disrespectful to me then I'll be disrespectful right back!

*

"San—" Nozomu began.

"I know," San said, looking towards the sky. He could still see bits of debris falling towards the ground. "I saw it when I was climbing the ladder."

"I thought I saw something earlier but I wasn't sure," Nozomu said with a wince. "I only knew that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me when Kishi saw it too. I'm sorry."

"It's fine," San said, glancing towards the other two. "With how high it was, it wouldn't have been able to pick up audio. You got it before it could get lower. Good work." Nozomu smiled at the compliment.