Chapter Nineteen: ... YOU AGAIN!?

Start from the beginning

Wayne flinched "I'm trying. Not all of us are blessed with luck."

Angela glowered at him " You think he had luck on his side? From what I remember he was a kid in the system. He grew up without friends and got in a lot of trouble taking flack for the shit other people did around him... He came out of it by working hard and being around good people. "

Wayne watched her carefully " How do you know that about him?"

She glanced over at him " I can't say how I know him. I don't think he'd appreciate me telling you this stuff... but I'm only telling you this because I want you to realise you might not be privileged as some people your age, you might not get to have fun while everyone is... but keep your head down and surround yourself with good people and you'll do fine."

Jolie had sat down in the seat opposite him. God, she was stupid for being so rude to him. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know you were my new mentor..."

Eddie shrugged, pouring her a glass of water " Oh, please don't apologise, I didn't know you were gonna be my apprentice."

She sighed " So, how does this work?"

He smiled, flicking through her documents and lowering his head to read it. "Well, I'm informed you're going through your level three, at the moment. Good. Is there anything you need more info or any questions answered about?"

She hummed to herself, watching his icy gaze fall on her. "Uh... Not about the course... but how long are you going to be my mentor... like can I get another one.."

Eddie smirked, leaning forward, chin pressed into his palm as he leaned on the table. " No sorry, I'm the only one available. Am I that bad?"

She blushed "It's not a matter of being that bad... it's just... it's awkward."

He shrugged softly " Sorry, Jolie. You're stuck with me for a whole year. "

She gawped " A WHOLE YEAR?"

He cocked a brow at her playfully.

She fell back in her chair. " God damn it.."

He smirked laughing to himself," I won't see you most of the time though you'll be bouncing from department to department but we will be meeting weekly so we can catch up and talk."

She sighed falling back in her chair with another sigh.

He grunted, " Is everything okay?"

She Exhaled " I don't know. I'm just shocked. I'll get over it."

He smiled at her " Good. You should. I'd like to see you running the store someday but it takes an excellent level of professionalism to put one's own problems aside to focus on the task at hand."

She blinked at him " How are you so wise, you can't be much older than me..."

He collected her papers, neatening them on the table, eyes travelling over her small form. " I'm 25 If you're trying to ask my age."

Her jaw was on the floor.

He quickly avoided her eyes "And don't worry I remember what you said when we first met. I won't pry on you when I don't have to. I know I can come across... a bit... much. I just get excited about new things... new projects... new people.. that kind of thing."

She was confused. Why was he telling her this? "Anyway, what I'm meaning to say is... I am... really excited to be working with you... and look forward to helping you out." He extended a hand and she felt something quiver in her core.

There was a level of coolness about Eddie that wasn't there when they met that night at the firework display. She wanted... to be like him someday. So cool and wise.