Chapter 36: Party, Pt 3

Start from the beginning

"I think that's why Charlotte has been so on his case." Gabby swirled her straw through the neon pink liquid in her glass. "She's not exactly subtle."

"No, but he'll like that. You know where you stand with her. He probably finds it reassuring."

"Same with me, to be honest." Gabby laughed. "I always say her hair caught my attention but her personality kept it."

"She does have good hair."

The Vengaboys' bouncy vocals came to an abrupt halt when Mac shut off the music and clapped his hands to command everyone's attention.

"This is all a bit tame for my liking. Time to spice things up. Grab your drinks and form a circle."

Fuck. I wasn't sure Ed's comfort zone extended to drinking games. Especially not Mac's. I needed to give him an out.

"We're not drinking," I said, tipping my head towards Ed. "So we'll just spectate."

Mac pressed his lips together, clearly biting his tongue, but then he nodded. "Fair enough."

"I'm good to play," Ed said. "As long as you don't hold it against me that I'm on the soft drinks."

"Nope," Mac said. "It's the taking part that counts. Palmer?"

I glanced at Ed, who offered me a reassuring smile. Maybe he'd grown more comfortable in the hours we'd spent here, or maybe he still felt like he had something to prove. Either way, I wanted to stand by him.

"Okay. Sure," I said to Mac.

He clapped his hands again and rubbed them together. "Right. Everyone, gather round."

As we all moved towards the centre of the room, Ed threw an arm around my shoulder and lowered his mouth to my ear.

"Do we need to discuss boundaries?" His husky words triggered a tidal wave of goose bumps along my skin.

"I'm not sure you realise what you're letting yourself in for. They're going to take full advantage of you."

"And is that going to get me in trouble?" His words were quiet but serious. "With you?"

My stomach stirred at his suggestion that he'd play along with whatever was asked of him. I trusted him, but I also knew he wanted the chance to prove he could be fun.

"It's just a game." I tipped my head to press my lips to his cheek. "You've got my blessing."

"Sure...?"

"I'm sure. But just so you're aware, if you do decide to kiss anyone here when you've spent the whole evening refusing to kiss me, I may not be as generous as usual in bed later."

His deep chuckle vibrated against my throat. "You've already kissed three people here. Surely I've got catching up to do?"

"More than three, actually," I said, hoping it messed with his imagination a little.

Typical of him, though, he didn't even flinch. Instead, he raised an intrigued eyebrow and pinched my shoulder.

"Can't say I'm particularly surprised."

I feigned offense and shoved him away. Laughing, he withdrew his arm and stepped across the circle to sit down opposite me. I lowered myself to the floor next to Gabby.

"This is a game I like to call Truth and Dare," Mac said.

"Truth or Dare," Becca corrected.

He pointed a finger at her. "No. Truth and Dare. Let's face it, the dynamics in this group are a little weird and I'm a reasonable guy who doesn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, so I've adapted the game."