Chapter 16 - Lies / Vision

"Okay?" Megumi asks. "Yes okay, I'll tell you the truth." Y/n says walking over to the door and locking it. She flipped the sign of the door over to close and took Megumi into her small cave under the cash register. The both looked at each other in silence. "So?" Megumi asks.

"I- Well when... you know- how. It's." Y/n stutters as she tries to find a way to untuck the lie from under her tongue. "Just start from the beginning. Tell me any and everything. I won't be mad at all." He says. Still the words she couldn't find. "Y/n its going to be okay. If you're tense just... relax and calm down." He says. Y/n cuts him off. "I'm trying! This shit is hard, I'm confused and I don't know how to explain myself. Nothing makes sense in my head. I'm trying to piece it together but it just won't work.

"Do you think you could explain it better if you showed me rather than explained it to me? Megumi asks. Y/n hesitates. Out of curiosity she had tried to summon her power on her own accord and oftentimes it failed. But for Megumi's sake, and her own, she tried. Of course nothing happened. Fushiguro still had patience, but he was losing hope that anything would come from this. "Let's just go back to having you explain!" He says, Y/n nods.

"Okay, when was the very first time you saw a curse, or a monster, or whatever?" Megumi asks. "Since as young as I could remember. I used to think other people could see them as well so I ignored them, because everyone else seemed to ignore them too. Those little goblins and critters that loomed over every crack of the world never bothered anyone else so they didn't bother me either. I just accepted it as everyday life; like dogs and stop signs. You don't question them, they're just there.

It wasn't until elementary school I realized I was the only one that could see them.... there was this girl.
Her name was Darilla. But I had a speech impediment, so I called her Duhwrilla. She had bleach blonde hair, and she was pale; her skin almost blended into the follicles on her scalp. And her eyes— they were green, and big. They looked like limes. She was missing a tooth on the bottom row, third from the middle... on the right side of her mouth. Whenever she would talk, she would stop in the middle of her sentence to shove her tongue down the small gap, and feel around the empty space.

She was such a scaredy cat. She was afraid of the dark, fire, brooms, her own shadow, mirrors, the color red, loud noises, animals, other people's shadow, paint brushes, ice, the crust on bread, balloons, and even the sound of her own piss hitting the toilet bowl. But the one thing Darilla wasn't afraid of was candy.
She ate that shit all day. Another thing about her teeth.
They were nearly all silver; they were mismatched in her mouth, like a checkerboard.

Everyday she would reach into the teacher's big jar of candy and fill her pockets to the brim. She knew not to do that, you only got candy as a reward, people would tell her not to, snitch, or join along in the candy-nabbing. I of course just watched. I often people-watched when I was young, still do. One day the teacher stood in front of the class and said.

'I have noticed the candy jar getting lower and lower even though I fill it regularly. I hope it's not the sweet snake." Of course the guilty children snickered, aware of the true culprits. But the innocent worried about this sweet snake and questioned it. "What is the sweet snake? I'm glad you asked. It is a scary serpent monster that lives inside every candy jar, burying its long body into the confectionery blanket of sweets. Adults like me and your mommies-and-daddies must rub the jar to inform the snake we will be taking one of his treats. As long as there is an adult the monster remains peaceful. But after a child reaches its hand into the jar 3 times the monster bites the poor child and drags it into the jar.'

I remember the look that washed over Darilla's face. While all the kids shook in fear, on the verge of tears. Darilla had the look of death stamped to her face. Like she had never experienced such horror in her whole life.
As terror began to infiltrate the classrooms.
Rumor spread about this sugary serpent.

Three weeks exactly, after the teacher had told us that story, I walked in the class and a snake the size of my body, maybe a bit more, was buried deep within that jar, eyeing the children through the plastic container. Not a single child cried, screamed, even paid it a glance. But I was utterly freaked the fuck out. I continually looked over my shoulder. It wasn't scary because it was there, I had seen monsters before, it was scary because no one seemed to care.

The class was in distress when the teacher told us, but I didn't care either way. My mother would slit the snakes neck and yank me out of its jaw. And the story was dumb anyways. But now... It was no longer a story. It was 100% there, I could see it, and no one cared at all. How could words affect them more than visible proof? I couldn't understand.

So I asked my teacher why none of the kids looked at the big snake. She said, 'You are a good girl so I will let you know a little secret... the snake doesn't exist. I made it up to keep Darilla and the others from stealing it.' She says. I blinked a few times, nodded and walked off to the bathroom. Only this time I paid attention to all of the monsters I saw on my way there.
So many monsters are in elementary schools because all Teachers do is lie.

When I would go out with my mother, I finally began to notice people walking right into monsters, and tripping. They would get up and say 'I am so clumsy, I be tripping over nothing sometimes.' Or people would walk around with curses pounding on their skulls and say 'I need to stop at the pharmacy and get some ibuprofen, my job gives me the worst headaches.'
I used to think some people were just dumb.
But after my teacher told me the truth, I realised I was the dumb one.

Because I could see it all.