Chapter 3 - Greetings / Gatekeeping

"Are you sure about this Meggy?" Y/n asks. She was much closer to me than usual. The counter usually kept us divided, she couldn't physically get closer than 3 feet from me and she never really left from behind it. Now we were both outside of the small market. Her arm brushed against mine ever so often as we walked. I was once again reminded how small she was. From the top of her head I could see her scalp. Her hair was in long neat braids. They stopped at the small of her back, the ends were curly, like a slinky. It almost spiraled. Two braids were pulled in front of her face, half of them were swept up into a claw clip and the remaining braids fell down on her back.

She was wearing brown mom jeans with rips throughout the legs and knees. It was paired with an off white, almost beige crop top. It looked worn and old, with little fairies cuddling on a lily pad printed over the chest, with it she had a soft green zip-up jacket over top. Lastly some hightop all black converse finished off the outfit. Her outfits were usually always like this. Earthy tones and a girlish aura. It was different from how Nobara and Maki dress.

"Yea, I asked Nanami and Gojo- Sensei. They said you just have to meet Yaga-Sensei and then you should be good. Plus the demon dogs miss you." I say. Hoping the thought of animals would ease her anxiety. Gratefully it did, the moment I spoke of the dogs, her worries seemed to fade.

About a week ago I had brought the idea of bringing and outsider onto school property up to Gojo and Nanami- Sensei. They gave me their answer and ever since I had been trying to think of a good time to ask Y/n if she'd come over. I had planted the seed in her head, and It would be rude of me to never actually enact my word. I had only gone to the store once this week. She seemed herself and sent me off with my things. I hadn't seen or spoken with her since. That was on Monday, now it's Saturday. For some reason I feel bad... like I wasn't supposed to wait that long. I thought she would be mad or upset. But as I walked in she greeted me and began conversation as if she'd seen me an hour ago.

All while she talked I pretended to pay attention, trying to find the words that I wanted to ask her. It sounded like she was in the middle of a ramble but I cut her off. "Are you busy tonight?" I ask. Her mouth clamped shut and she looked at me with her big doe eyes. "N-No?"She said, she almost sounded scared. "Did you want to come over... I said one day you should come visit the dogs." I say. She nodded and picked up the phone. Calling who I now know to be her mother. She lied and said she had a school project to do and wanted to use the supplies in the shop, so she'd be home late. Her mother didn't seem to really care if she slept at the shop, and only warned her not to eat all of the snacks.

It was understandable why her mother wasn't worried. This market was in a no-mans land. Completely deserted, the chances of anyone breaking in or anything like that were 0-to-none. She apologized for being untruthful, but admitted her mom can be a bit overprotective and it would be the easiest explanation. I assured her it was fine, I lie to Gojo-sensei all the time.

Afterwards we began walking.

Not being able to use my shikigami's was a pain in the ass. It took much longer for me to get back and when I did I had to walk all the way to the main office which is nearly 8 flights of stairs. Y/n was oddly fine. She is a rather chubbier girl, I assumed after walking all the way there and then to the office she would have been pretty tired, hell I was. But she hadn't broken a sweat and looked completely unscathed. "Wow goom. This place is cool! I wish I went to school here." She says. I didn't respond, only holding the door open for her to walk into.

I asked the lady at the front desk if Yaga-Sensei was busy and she went back to announce I was looking for him. When she returned she printed out a sheet of paper and asked us both to sign the bottom. Afterwards we were allowed into the back and I walked Y/n over to the room. It seemed the anxiety from before began to surge back into her body. "Maybe we can just do this another day!" She says trying to turn back. The hallway was omnisciently dark and the wooden interior was not making the atmosphere look too inviting but I reassured her there was nothing to be afraid of. We walked into the room and Yaga was sitting criscrossed in front of his desk.